No
33%

Total votes: 6

thade
Cannon Fodder

Greyhawk (Story)

Post by thade » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:43 pm

No, not the DnD setting.
This is a school project I did a while back, a book adaptation of my webcomic from even further back. (You can read all 13 episodes here)

It is quite long, so I won't post it all at once, instead, I'll post the Intro, and if anyone wants, I'll keep going.

Here Goes:

Introduction:
In the year 3467, Earth’s natural resources were depleted to the point where it could no longer support itself. In a desperate effort to save mankind, the governments of the world created hundreds of hulking spacecraft capable of traveling the stars to a new galaxy, one full of planets and moons that had been terraformed into habitable earth-like worlds.
The galaxy was so far away that entire generations would never see anything but the inside of a spaceship. In an attempt to lessen the travel time, world leaders authorized the use of experimental quantum leap technology, which allowed matter to be transported across vast stretches of space almost instantaneously.
But humans, at their most basic level, are terrible at planning ahead. Scientists had not been allowed to research this technology, because of protest and philosophical issues. Only when they realized the danger of humanity dying off entirely did the leaders allow study into the field of quantum leap engines.
But by then it was too late. As the ships lifted off, leaving only six million humans on Earth, they initiated the quantum leap, expecting everything to go smoothly.
They were wrong.
Twelve of the massive ships were torn apart at the quantum level, simply disintegrating into nothing. Nearly half of the remaining ships never exited the leap, compressing and folding in on themselves under the tremendous strain of quantum travel.
Those that survived the single greatest disaster in human history ended up stranded in space, far from where they intended. Any navigational equipment was barely accurate enough to tell what direction they were facing, much less where they were in the depths of space.
Some were simply never found. Some decompressed due to a collision with space debris. Some died out in space, blending in with the dull masses of asteroid belts or clouds of space debris.
The remaining ships had one thing left to fear. Themselves. One generation blamed the last for its problems, and initiated a hostile takeover. This cycle repeated indefinitely, and even more ships were reduced to nothing but skeletons drifting in the black of space.
Of the nearly three hundred ships that left for the galaxy dubbed “Haven”, only seven landed on habitable planets. Each ship was full of hardened, strong, stubborn pioneers, and each ship’s own culture had evolved into something drastically different from the others.
And so, the seven colonies, each with its own culture, lifestyle, and people, were born. None were sure if any others had survived, all that they knew was that they had a full planet to colonize, and plenty of time.
Meanwhile, on Earth, continued advances in science made natural resources less and less valuable, and with humans spread over Earth, The Moon, and Mars, humanity thrived. Earth was essentially one large city, with no trees except in parks and reservations. Quantum leap technology was perfected, and Humanity spread through our galaxy. Soon, the Earth Empire was formed, and it became dedicated to controlling more than just the galaxy. It wanted more.
The seven colonies of Haven expanded as well, and eventually, some met. They were greedy, as is human nature, and soon all seven colonies were at war. By 3830, four of the seven colonies had either been completely destroyed, or were enslaved by another. The three remaining colonies were in a stalemate, neither side able to destroy another, and no two sides willing to join forces.
The stalemate continued, until the Earth Empire discovered the colonies, in the middle of their war. What followed can only be described as a slaughter. The Empire, determined to control everything, attacked the “Barbarian Tribes”.
In just one day, two of the tribes were completely destroyed, and the one remaining tribe was weakened enough that the Empire pulled back most of its forces, leaving only one battalion to destroy the remnant of the colonies. That was the last battle of the colonial wars. The colony fought bravely, and destroyed much of the Empire’s forces. But they eventually fell to the might of the empire.
It is now the year 4028. The Empire has ruled for 178 years. Recently, several groups have arisen that actively protest the Empires methods. Most are just peaceful protester groups, but one group, calling themselves “The Resistance”, has actually declared independence, forming several hidden bases, and a small military. They have begun recruiting soldiers and workers from the harsh outer planets. They do not yet have enough power to fight a real campaign, so they rely mainly on guerilla tactics.
There are many cells within the resistance, but the most notable one is the crimsons, a loose group of warriors and mercenaries from all backgrounds. They are primarily vigilantes, but occasionally take missions from the resistance itself.
I don't level the playing field, I level the playing field.

Telcon the elf
Hero

Post by Telcon the elf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm

I think there is some Corouscaunt, Battle for Terra, and other sci- fi lines, but its good, and I think you should keep going. A good idea is the introduction of zombies ( infection or poison).
And the worst part is, I don't think of good comebacks until after the... HEY!

thade
Cannon Fodder

Post by thade » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I've never seen battle for terra, but I probably subconciously copied off loads of stuff. As for the zombies, I already wrote it all, but even if I hadn't, I wouldn't add zombies, this is strictly standard sci-fi

Telcon the elf
Hero

Post by Telcon the elf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:22 pm

If you can, don't watch it. I've seen all the Star Wars movies, and love (with the exception of the Phantom Menace) them, and Battle for Terra nearly put me to sleep.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Telcon the elf wrote:I've seen all the Star Wars movies, and love (with the exception of The Attack of the Clones) them
Fixed

Telcon the elf
Hero

Post by Telcon the elf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 pm

[quote="Zupponn"][quote="Telcon the elf"]I've seen all the Star Wars movies, and love (with the exception of The Attack of the Clones) them[/quote]

Fixed[/quote]

No. The Attack of the Clones is one of the best. The Phantom Menace sucks because it's episode 4 all over again.

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Silverdream wrote:The only good three are the original three.
Holy shit, I'm still here?

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:52 am

Silverdream wrote:The only good three are the original three.
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

Telcon the elf
Hero

Post by Telcon the elf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:36 pm

[quote="Silverdream"]The only good three are the original three.[/quote]

Exception! The absolute best, but, 2 and 3 are the "little brothers".

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Sounds to me like Killzone metts the intro to Legowars II (http://www.brikwars.com/rules/l-wars/mainrule.txt)

MORE!
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm

The fight between Obi-wan and Jango Fett was probably the best one in the entire series.
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.

Telcon the elf
Hero

Post by Telcon the elf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Back to the story: I read the comics.

Phantom Menace all over again.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 pm

The prequel was the best? What the..

OY. NOOBS. GET OUT. :evil:

Kids these days. *sigh* I'd like to see more of this, Thade.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

thade
Cannon Fodder

Post by thade » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Here ya go!

Chapter 1:

Nathan Davis was just your average police officer. He was young, average height, average weight, and all this average-ness bored him. Here in the heart of the Imperial city, capital of the entire Earth Empire, nothing interesting ever happened, at least not to a guy uninterested in politics or any government business. He just walked the streets, occasionally giving a car a ticket for parking illegally. And so he was almost thankful when a very strange message came over his communicator.
“We got an incomin’ goin’ at 145!”
“145!” Thought Nathan, “Most cars can hit that speed easily, but that’s way above the speed limit here!” “Where?”, he blurted out into the communicator.
“I-95 south!”
“I’m right there, I don’t see anything!” He looked quickly around him, no vehicle near him was moving faster than 60. Then he heard a faint roaring sound. “Huh?” He muttered.
“What the-” he yelled, the sentence left unfinished. A dark red blur, so fast he couldn’t make out the details, soared past him, and crashed through a pickup truck carrying a load of power crystals! Other cars screeched out of the way of the blur, some crashing into each other.
The ordeal was over in a second, and he sighed, confused. Perhaps boring was nice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sergeant Lewis McAnnon clutched the holoprojector, trying not to lose his temper. Before him was a security recording slowed down to the point where he could make out the form of two men, one with dark hair, and one with blazing red hair, in a crimson vehicle with boost thrusters on the back. He knew what this meant. He was back. He was here!
“Sir? What should we do?” asked the colonel next to him.
“This can only mean one thing. Mobilize the troops.”

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 pm

MORE!
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours