Lost Valley Time Forgot Filled With Treasure And Dinosaurs.

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

White Nun
Dimmy

Lost Valley Time Forgot Filled With Treasure And Dinosaurs.

Post by White Nun » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 am

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread that's seperate to my Fantasy armies (Elves, UnDead & etc) especially for Steampunk Walkers, Victorian Sci-Fi, Lost Tribes, Dinosaurs etc etc.

As far as the story-telling goes there is a mysterious valley somewhere in an alternative Victorian Sci-Fi universe and this valley not only has evidence of a supposedly vanished civilisation with strange artifacts, treasure & etc, but also is the habitat of huge lizards of monstrous size.

Groups/factions/persons to be found in the valley are, archeologists, treasure hunters/tomb raiders (not always the same thing as archeologists), dinosaur hunters, adventurer/explorer types, Troops from nations especially interested in the valley and finally of course people from the 'vanished' civilisation.

There will be machines, - some intelligent and near sentient, - and others that aren't at all. Walking machines will be greatly in evidence firstly because I like them, and secondly because the terrain is too challenging for wheeled vehicles. There will be some fliers too, but only small ones and none too many because they take up a lot of playing room on a gaming table with their speed and distance they can cover in a turn cycle.

At the moment it will be walkers that I'll be working on. 'Dinosaur Hunter' you've seen enough times already and I don't plan on taking any new photos until the present refit is complete.
The little scout walker is very likely to have at least one more like it built and they will be armed.

Alien tech and artifacts are particularly prized, - especially weapons......

These huge weapons often get cut down, modified and fitted to freelancer vehicles operating in the valley. When its refit is complete 'Dinosaur Hunter' will have one, but I plan on having a diceroll system, taking into the weapons great age and mysterious science, to determine whether or not they will actually function or do something strange instead each time they are used.

The mysterious weapons and machines of the 'vanished' civilisation in the valley though simply don't work in the hand of anyone else. I intend to devise some sort of gem or crystalline devices that function by the strange magical science known by these people.

I plan on exchanging flames for gems on this aerial skiff, but the flames will do for the moment as a way of showing that something unworldly is going on.

More minifigs are going to be needed and I've found a few scruffy types to kick things off. Some of the Indiana Jones minifigs would suit nicely, but a lot of those seem to be commanding high prices at the moment. Mostly I'm going to keep on converting joblot down-on-their-luck minifigs that I buy from time to time. The pilot, 'Sly Bob' who is often seen with the Major is made from spare minifig bits and his jacket is a custom decal. I cut his bonedome helmet down from an ordinary motorcycle helmet.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:33 am

You have the beginnings of a really cool theme here. Keep it up!

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:36 am

I like where this is going!
I love steampunk-tech-meets-sci-fi/ancient tech/magic stuff. I especially like the ancient civilization's (hover?) vessel. It reminds me of something out of old SG-1.
I just remembered I built some new additions to my old steampunk army and never posted any pics! Goodness gracious!

Sizz-lor
Hero

Post by Sizz-lor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:03 pm

This might be the most original story I've ever seen. It's actually pretty great. :mrgreen:

Also, what nation's troops will you have?

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Sizz-lor wrote:
Also, what nation's troops will you have?
British troops certainly, but possibly German, French, American, White Russian and Chinese as well. I'll see how the mood takes me.

Thanks for the positive and helpful comments everyone :D

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Keep up the good work! Also, what's the difference between Victorian Sci-Fi and Steampunk?
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:20 am

Pwnerade wrote:Keep up the good work! Also, what's the difference between Victorian Sci-Fi and Steampunk?
Not a lot really. One is more about steam based technology and the other sticks closely to an alternative Victorian timeline where the science of the time is taken to more refined levels than it did in reality.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:35 am

I'm liking this idea.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:41 am

I'd built a little floatplane from the 5864 Creator set, but it wasn't exactly suitable for the Lost Valley senario apart from being too small. What I needed was a Biplane, but I didn't have a clue as to whether I had enough bricks in vaguely the right colours to build one.
So I had a go and this is the result. It could be improved on, but it will do for the present until I get some more suitable bricks. At least it gives Sly Bob the pilot something to do instead of standing around with his hands in his pockets.

Zahru II

Post by Zahru II » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 am

That staff usage is just genius.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

subyrally
Cannon Fodder

Post by subyrally » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:41 am

its hard to go wrong with a good biplane, i like it. i really like the gun on the front of it.

on a side note, white nun, i am really digging the victorian/steam punk fairy in your sig. thats cool.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:35 am

:<3: this thing is amazing. I love the supports for the wings, and the whole design is bulky and sleek, which gives it that old-fashioned look. :ftw:

Sizz-lor
Hero

Post by Sizz-lor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I like the gun a lot.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks for the comments on my biplane everyone :D Yes it's hard to go past a biplane alright when it comes to Vic Sci-Fi & etc and being a 'pusher' biplane makes it all the more interesting. I was trying to point the engine to the front which made the gun really awkward to mount, so turning the engine around made for the finishing touch.

Yeah, I really like that little Steampunk fairy too. She's a T shirt design apparently.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Wow! -THE BRITANNIAN LEAGUE. Thanks for the link Silverdream, and yes it is going to be a source of inspiration as I work towards setting up the valley and getting things moving along.
Perhaps the Lost Valley could be on a colony planet waaaaaaaay out on the edge of Britannian space.......?

(Yes I know it's a picture clipped from the cover of the Space 1889 Rulebook, but I like it)