Battle for Wesnoth

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Zahru II wrote:Installed, playing and loving it.
:guinness:
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

tecm
Champion
Champion

Post by tecm » Mon May 02, 2011 10:35 pm

I tried it got kinda annoyed at the hexes may be miles across thing and was terrible. so yeah get my tactical fix from fallout tactics now
Okay fine I give up

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue May 03, 2011 5:22 am

I played several single player campaigns. I never was a superior tactician so many matches ended in massive abuse of the time leap spell a.k.a. quickload.
IMO the elves are too powerfull. They have the fastest scouts, the best archers, second best mages and are nearly immortal as long as they hide in the forrests.
The RPG-aspect was it that kept me going without end.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue May 03, 2011 5:29 am

knolli wrote:I played several single player campaigns. I never was a superior tactician so many matches ended in massive abuse of the time leap spell a.k.a. quickload.
IMO the elves are too powerfull. They have the fastest scouts, the best archers, second best mages and are nearly immortal as long as they hide in the forrests.
The RPG-aspect was it that kept me going without end.
Well, the Elves can only do anything on the defensive, just like Dwarves. Without tree hexes they can't mount any sort of assault or defense effectively, because they drop like flies due to low HP and Defense. The most extreme case of this is the Wose, where on anything other than tree hexes he's got a 20% defense.

We should play sometime, anyway. :guinness:
-=[ Visage ]=-

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Tue May 03, 2011 5:10 pm

yeah, balance issues depend on the people playing, and the way you play. If you have elves vs dwarves on a forest map, then yeah, elves are gonna kick the crap out of the dwarves (if you're doing a head to head battle).... you have to experiment

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed May 04, 2011 5:27 am

I've found that the multiplayer community actually usually leaves their race to fate; most of the people you see, when they join a game, don't even bother setting their race to anything other than "Random."

Interesting tidbit I thought I'd share, as long as we were on the subject of balance issues (you can't be too harsh on the Devs, though. True balance is really tough to achieve, and they're trying to do it with nothing but support from the forum community).
-=[ Visage ]=-

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Wed May 04, 2011 7:31 am

I found a nice RPG mod I would like to try, but I couldn't get it work in SP. I feel much more at home when I command a small eilite force or even one single unit than big armies of weaklings that drop like flies.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed May 04, 2011 2:33 pm

knolli wrote:I found a nice RPG mod I would like to try, but I couldn't get it work in SP. I feel much more at home when I command a small eilite force or even one single unit than big armies of weaklings that drop like flies.
You should also look into the Colosseum multiplayer map. It's really fun, and you only control one guy on a team of 3-6 versus waves and waves of enemies.
-=[ Visage ]=-

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Wed May 04, 2011 3:43 pm

man, colloseum was my favorite map... other than world conquest. you can mod your character to be amazing, and you only have to keep track of one :D

and about the whole random thing, I disagree.... most of the better players will either choose based on the map, or have a favorite race they play almost all the time, that they really know. I only play random when I don't care about winning or losing :P

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed May 04, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm online right now, if anyone else is. IGN: Olothontor, of course.
-=[ Visage ]=-