Paladin Corps vehicles (warning: extremely pic heavy)

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Sun May 15, 2011 1:30 am

I love the nose of the dropship.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Sun May 15, 2011 1:46 am

Seriously business-like in everyway. I like the blocky bulk of it that makes it look every inch a war transport ship.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Sun May 15, 2011 3:19 am

Wow! Great looking assault transport. I'd love to see a couple of these pictured landing troops in a warzone. Great job Ender! :guinness:

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun May 15, 2011 3:45 pm

thanks for the comments, all! Warhead: I currently have next to no gray bricks left, so building another one is completely out of he question. I can, however, make a little skirmish for the one I have, as I am getting light bley baseplates for my birthday, and I expect I'll turn those into some sort of ruin or something. I need to order from brickarms (or whatever retailer sells to PA now :roll: ) and equip my troops, as they have undergone a serious switch of weapons, and I now have a whole new squad of regulars (yay!) so it might take a while

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 am

I like the the transport, I didn't notice those pieces on the cockpit kinda matched, I might try that later on a bigger aircraft. I like the design, the only C & C I have is to bulk up the engines a bit. Great job overall though.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 am

I'm liking the Paladin's loadout. Battle time!
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm

RoC77 wrote:Only C & C I have is bulk up the engines a bit
yeah, I tried that (used the wheels from the turbo tank stacked up) but it didn't look quite right... I f you have any suggestions as to what I could use, it would be greatly appreciated :) .

And war is coming, but first I need to give the troops weapons (that would help their chances of winning, wouldn't it?)

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Mon May 16, 2011 4:41 pm

enders_shadow wrote:
RoC77 wrote:Only C & C I have is bulk up the engines a bit
yeah, I tried that (used the wheels from the turbo tank stacked up) but it didn't look quite right... I f you have any suggestions as to what I could use, it would be greatly appreciated :) .

I think if you double stacked the engines like you said, it wouldn't look so weird if you placed the engines right next to the body of the aircraft and then attached the wings. Basically the opposite setup of what you have now.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon May 16, 2011 5:09 pm

I love the nose of the dropship, but the wings and engines look unfinished. Maybe you could try using plates stacked on top of each other instead of bricks to stiffen the wings.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon May 16, 2011 5:13 pm

the point of the double wings was to reduce weight, though I might put paneling on the technic bricks, or missiles, haven't decided yet. also, what do you mean MicVash? like put the turbines right next to the body, and have the wings stick out?

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:48 pm

enders_shadow wrote:the point of the double wings was to reduce weight, though I might put paneling on the technic bricks, or missiles, haven't decided yet. also, what do you mean MicVash? like put the turbines right next to the body, and have the wings stick out?

You based your design off of Sean Flynn, which used had vectoring props which tilted at the end of the wings. Since you're going to be using thrusters, you don’t necessarily have to put them at the wing tips since they don’t need as much clearance as the props. You can mount them closer to the body of the aircraft. Most of my VTOL's follow that concept.

I can't really tell you how to build a sufficient engine since I don't know what you have available(and discovering it yourself is half the fun), all I can suggest is just play around with the pieces you have until you have something you like. With what you've shown us so far, I know you can build a better engine than what you have right now. Heck, with some tweaking your strike pod would make a good engine too...

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon May 16, 2011 7:10 pm

hmmm... so make the engines more horizontal than vertical, and do away with the wings. and make bigger engines. I might be able to do that.... It could look weird though, because the body itself is so large, and if I get rid of the wings it'll look kind of like a slug.

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Tue May 17, 2011 1:24 am

RoC77 wrote:
enders_shadow wrote:
You based your design off of Sean Flynn, which used had vectoring props which tilted at the end of the wings. Since you're going to be using thrusters, you don’t necessarily have to put them at the wing tips since they don’t need as much clearance as the props. You can mount them closer to the body of the aircraft. Most of my VTOL's follow that concept.
I mean exactly as Roc had put it. Now, to prevent your craft from looking like a slug you simply need to blend the wing and engine together. Start with the engine close to the body. Shape it to have somewhat of a winged shape. Add a small extension of regular wing to the outer edges of the engine.

Here's another example: 'Shrike' by The Brothers Merz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebrother ... otostream/

What I'm trying to say is that you can effectively shape your engines so that they become essentially 'wings'

Also, it is not a matter of if the engines are horizontal or vertical. In fact, that's just the way the engine happened to be titled in the picture. The engine should be able to pivot so that the craft has VTOL capabilities. So...in take off mode, you'll see the engines vertical as you had them. And in flight mode, horizontal, as you saw in the other examples.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 pm

well then, I'll see what I can do.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Tue May 17, 2011 10:06 pm

okay, after another hour of building, I have finished the redesign of the wings.

welcome to the Assipiter mk.II
working mostly from memory of RoC's stuff, and whatever the hell I wanted to tack on, I think it came out pretty well. another added benefit is I got a place to house a couple light repeating laser cannons, which is always nice :) .
the back
now, with troops (because I forgot to take pics of that in the first set)
and the closeup of the laser cannon
with thrusters in the takeoff position
and finally, next to the Micantis for a size comparison. Also note the new turret on the Micantis, I needed the minigun for something else :twisted:

comments, suggestions, anything else you want to post here, ect.