Grinding damage and crit fails

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

IX_Legion
Minifig

Grinding damage and crit fails

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm pretty new to these forums (obviously--this is only my second post) but I've been playing BrikWars for a while now and I've run across two questions that the rulebook does not answer.

First, about grinding damage. This is something I've never used personally, mainly because I'm not clear on how it works. Basically each attack does its normal damage, and inflicts -1 armor penalties for each damage die equal to or greater than the target's structure level, so I can actually do size/component damage to whatever I'm attacking in addition to causing penalties to armor. Am I right on this?

Also, for normal damage, do critcal successes and fails work the same as in other rolls? I use critical successes (it's funny when a pistol or short sword gets an awesome number of bonus dice and totally annihilates the target), but not fails. Normally, this doesn't matter, as 1 damage won't kill much of anything even with bonuses. However, what happens when 4 riflemen hit a minifig and all roll 1's for damage? If you just counted it, it would be enough to kill (8 damage), but do the crit fails mean he doesn't die? Has anyone run into a situation like this?

Thanks in advance for any imput, hopefully I don't sount like too much of a noob... :roll:
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Not sure about grinding damage off hand, but as for your second question critical fails are usually only counted in skill rolls and things like that. It's more of an "as you're aiming" fail and that's why you can hurt others. Once you've made your skill roll, that says you've already hit your target. The damage roll is only to see how much you've hurt the target.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 am

Nope. You can either use Grinding Damage or other types, not both. It's the difference between trying to smash through armor plate with a crowbar or using the crowbar to pry up the plates. How that translates to, like, rocket-propelled grenades or something I'm not sure, but you get the idea.

As it's written in the rulebook, crit-fails work for everything, but it doesn't matter much where Damage is concerned. Anything you could hurt with a roll of "1" you probably don't need to bother rolling for in the first place. If all four of your riflemen roll all ones at the same time then they deserve to fail regardless.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks for the clarifications.

I was thinking, for the grinding damage, you could make a torture device that dripped 1 damage acid drops on a person. The 1 damage exceeds the structure level 1/2, so after 4 turns their armor is 0 and it kills them (unless someone moves them slightly :twisted: )

Actually, knowing the people on these forums, I'm surprised no one already made that (and someone may have).

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Blades are so much more visceral thouh...
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Or inserting a hungry rat into someone's anus.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:25 pm

IX_Legion wrote:Thanks for the clarifications.

I was thinking, for the grinding damage, you could make a torture device that dripped 1 damage acid drops on a person. The 1 damage exceeds the structure level 1/2, so after 4 turns their armor is 0 and it kills them (unless someone moves them slightly :twisted: )

Actually, knowing the people on these forums, I'm surprised no one already made that (and someone may have).
Hey! Let's go to the trouble to get a hold of some enemy soldier-without just killing him-carry him to this torture machine, strap him down, and let it kill him for us, all while we manage to avoid getting killed by his buddies!

Don't get the wrong idea. It's an interesting and amusing concept, but unfortunately it doesn't have much practical use
Until someone inevitably proves me wrong.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:34 pm

it could be a scenario objective though: reach your leader before he dies because he got acid dripped into his brain? you have x number of turns to reach him, unstrap him, and kill all of the scientists guarding him.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:47 pm

enders_shadow wrote:it could be a scenario objective though: reach your leader before he dies because he got acid dripped into his brain? you have x number of turns to reach him, unstrap him, and kill all of the scientists guarding him.
:godwin:
Thanks for proving me right about one thing and wrong about another at the same time.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:58 pm

mgb519 wrote:Hey! Let's go to the trouble to get a hold of some enemy soldier-without just killing him-carry him to this torture machine, strap him down, and let it kill him for us, all while we manage to avoid getting killed by his buddies!
I was actually thinking of knocking the last enemy guy out, tying him down while he's unconscious, then cranking up the acid ("won't tell us what your plans are, eh? he he he...")

-Valkyrie (the movie)

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Maybe you could have general torture as grinding damage, where the defense is of his mind instead of his survival.