Britannian White Sector Militias.

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

White Nun
Dimmy

Britannian White Sector Militias.

Post by White Nun » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 am

Hum, - I think my camera is playing up :?

Not to worry :)

Being out at the very rag end of the galaxy the colony worlds of the Britannian League White Sector have military problems and military solutions that are very much their own. Generally they are supplied with obsolete equipment nobody else wants or occasionally strange one-off prototypes that aren't entirely successful, - or in some cases too successful.

Most White Sector ground forces are made up of local militias which means that uniforms and equipment can be more about wot we've got, rather than wot we're supposed to have. Dinoreich is a typical example of a White Sector colony world where the local conditions have made for interesting equipment selections, - especially weapons.
With Dinosaur hunting (and related industries) being either the main or part time occupation of a good deal of the population weapons on Dinoreich are generally all about calibre; - where more is always best and owning a gun with a bore like a drainpipe can make a man the envy of his neighbours.
Dinoreich Militias have pretty much settled on the use of a .75 cal carbine as being their weapon of choice. It's a very stoutly made weapon that doesn't mind being used as a club and it can knock big holes in most targets a militia trooper might want to be shooting at. With a good naval cutlass as their backup weapon there isn't much they can't sort out in terms of matters arising while out on patrol.
Officer types and senior NCOs normally carry a .50 cal 5 shot revolver and either a sabre or a cutlass according to preference and availability.
For heavier backup a wide variety of fearsome mostly homegrown rocket launchers are employed and a trooper in the foreground can be seen holding one of these weapons at the ready.

Every militia trooper dreams of being selected to join the Star Rangers and being able to wear the Ranger Star somewhere on his uniform. Some of the troopers in the picture wear the Ranger Star with pride and to the front of the picture can be seen the almost legendary Sergeant Brass who leads the Star Rangers on their daring missions.

Interestingly modernisation might be visiting upon the Dinoreich Militia in the form of a 4 wheel drive steam powered scoutcar armed with a heavy laser cannon that was recently confiscated from a Dinosaur poaching ring. White Sector High Command has approved the use of this vehicle by the Militia which should prove interesting to say the least. Captain Cardigan (L) and Lieutenant Nicechap (R) say they aren't about to give up on their horses just yet though.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am

I enjoy the background and like the whole feel of this. I really love the mechanical man.

Keep up the good work. :D
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:50 pm

The mechanical man looks awesome, please show more. Love the backstory. I read the forums from my phone at night, it keeps Me sane during vacation...

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 pm

I like those Coldstream Guard type bands on the hats of the officers, nice touch. The backstory as always is another jigsaw peace of the whole DinoReich storyline and well worth the effort to read IMO. I like the idea of the Rangers very much. I also feel compelled to try to make some .50cal and .75cal personal weapons.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm

My camera battery is on charge so I'll take some more photos of the Steam Powered Trooper once it's good to go. Not the most easy mech to control on the field of battle as their Marconi aetheric control system is rudimentary at best. The usual operating method is to point them in the right direction and set them in motion with all guns blazing :shock:

With those white banded caps I was looking for more blue caps for my New Glasgow lads, but all I could get was either black or white caps. Soooooo I thought I'd give the White Sector Militia chaps black caps with white bands by painting the white or black caps appropriately to suit.
Corporal Scruff is wearing one so they aren't quite officer issue only, but as a rule the Militia rank and file prefer their wide brimmed hats as being more practical. Three of the Militia lads are wearing what I use as Royal Marine tunics which annoys Sergeant Thunder something fierce so I might have to change them for the zip up Police style torsos as soon as I can get more of them.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Smashingly done! The blue sector will have to design similar steam-mechs to defend her own territory, her surface defenses are sadly lacking...

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 am

Great Victory for Star Rangers!
Despond, Dinoreich: Today the heroic Star Rangers ably assisted by the Local Militia were successful in foiling the activities of Gun Runners smuggling weapons to the near lawless Fringe Worlds. Standing with his brave troopers Sergeant Brass refused all praise saying little except, 'Couldn't have done it without the lads......' Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah & etc.

While everyone was posing for photos I took the opportunity to get some shots of the Steam Powered Trooper (Mk2 ) for those of you who want to build one for your Britannians to generally terrify the foe with.
Weapons are a flamer, 2 pounder cannon and a steam catapult that fires scrap ball bearings (Not quite as good as a machine gun, but it will still keep the foe's head down with its high rate of fire).

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 am

:D Bravo! Love that newspaper shot. Those clone brik weapons look interesting too. 8)

Jbgarrison
Minifig

Post by Jbgarrison » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 am

This unit looks just legendary!

It's like Sharpes Rifles meets Mad Max, hehe.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:11 am

Great group shot! Wherever did you finds those hats?
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 am

Pwnerade wrote:Great group shot! Wherever did you finds those hats?
Do you mean the wide brimmed hats? They can be found in COGO sets 3210 and 3200 which I like to buy from time to time because they are a good source of grey bricks. The caps with the white band are just repainted Lego caps.

Ta for the nice comments :D

Sharp's Rifles meets Mad Max; - I like that. Fits wot I'm trying to do very nicely.

Yes the newspaper shot. Now that I'm running Linux as an operating system I've been experimenting with Gimp, - and Gimp has this great old photo buttplug that really does a wonderful job of convincingly aging any digital photo. If I'd had more time I would've created a mock newspaper page for the picture, but perhaps I'll have a go at that another day.

Not so sure what I'm going to do with the clone block weapons just as yet. The Militia lads are suspicious about any firearm that has a bore so narrow they can't fit their middle finger into it, but the Bazookas and Panzerfaust have caught their interest a little.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 am

A much modified by me COGO military 4WD is now a Armstrong-Humber steam powered scoutcar.
Mechanically similar to a Stanley Steamer with a flash boiler under the bonnet (hood) this scoutcar seemed to hold much promise. Unfortunately the Armstrong-Humber boiler control system was not the success High Command on New London were hoping for and not surprisingly one of the prototypes eventually found its way to the Dinoreich garrison.
'It's nay so bad really,' the scoutcar's usual Militia driver told me. 'Just dun't stoke 'er too 'ard and if she starts ta whistle just bail out quick and hide in ta ditch til she stops.'

By the way I should mention that certain pirates, bandits and other ner-do-wells have sometimes made the foolish error of thinking that the White Sector pennant is a flag of surrender. :wink:

solvess
Dimmy

Post by solvess » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Silverdream wrote:Then what do you use as a flag of surrender?
NEVER SURRENDER DIE FIGHTING.
My brute
"Having enough Dakka is an illusion created by those too weak to stomach true warfare."
"A river of blood begins with a single drop."

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:01 pm

solvess wrote:

There it is.

I like the armoured scout car.

White Nun
Dimmy

Post by White Nun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Warhead wrote:
solvess wrote:
[img]Big%20Bang[/img]

There it is.

I like the armoured scout car.
Which scoutcar? - the green one with the Autumn leaf camo? I call it Autumn leaf camo because all the camo stickers gently fell off over night and formed a pile surrounding the scoutcar.
The brown one is really just a light jeep-like vehicle that COGO intended to be a single seater, but I converted it to having two front seats, a wider windscreen and a rear gun mounting.

I asked Sergeant Thunder about flags of surrender and he went so red in the face and spluttered and coughed so much I thought I was going to have to call for a medic. So I guess the short answer is the White Sector doesn't have one :wink:

Just as a further note, according to the Purification Sisters of St. Attila the white flag represents Purity and true Purity never surrenders to anybody unless she has a Holy Hand Grenade in her fist with the pin pulled out.