Mantic miniature blog by Karetsu

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Kings of War works with any amount of units, we only had 350 points each (about 100 points for a 20 man regiment)...so everything works really. If you want to read the rules, they can be downloaded freely from manticgames.com, form the gaming section.
Oh, and the first skeleton painted! Pics aren't that good....
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 am

Killer Karetsu wrote:Wow! That elf is going to look fantastic! :)
If you can, I'd appreciate a dwarf face tutorial.
And here I go with the promised tutorial :) Sorry for being late, and for the shitty camera and paintwork. I dunno what's with me today :)

What do we have here? A standard Dwarf Warrior, let's call him Bob. He's undercoated with Chaos Black for the easier painting. The eye painting method that I sent you not so long ago comes next, only pics, I'll shut my mouth and don't bore you with the description of what you already know :)

And this is where the fun begins. I purchased some Reaper paints, and use them for faces. I recommend you to also do this (or find a suitable GW paint for it - Foundation have a nice darker flesh tone that is like the old tanned flesh), because they are cheaper than GW's ones, and contains about 20ml of paint instead of 12.

As you can see the face was painted with Earth Brown (Bestial or Scorhed Brown is also a suitable choice). Leave little black lines where two surface (skin and beard for example) meets to achieve a nice dwarven face. Oh wait, this can be useful anywhere :)

Tanned flesh...nothing interesting, leave the deepest parts brown, etc. etc.

Here Dwarf Flesh was used as highlight. This will be the base color of the figure's face.

From this point, you only need to put a little bit of highlight on your figure. Just a bit of Elf Flesh on the nose and under the eyes on his cheeks, and ta-da, you have a proper tabletop face for a lad. Post results, I'm really curious :)

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Could you possibly show the rest of us the tutorial for the eyes? I am for one following this with interest.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

zirrian
Champion
Champion

Post by zirrian » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:Could you possibly show the rest of us the tutorial for the eyes? I am for one following this with interest.
Of horse, man! :)

Let's begin with a simple Codex Grey basecoat for the face. One of the best GW colors ever.

Paint two "masks" for the eyes. It doesn't matter if you go out of the the line, we'll go back 'n correct it later.

Eyelids. Paint them with a very pointy and fine brush, and be prepared, because you need totally stable and steady hands for this part of the eye painting. Practice, and try to avoid cross-eyed Janes and Joes.

As you can see, my elf became an afro-american. Carefully paint the face, and the area next to the eye. This will be the final eye for your figure, so if you accidentally paint into the eye, quckly wash it with water then blow away the paint, wait till it dries completely, than repeat untill you get eyes that you are satisfied with.

If you are interested...mmmmmmmaybe I can show the basics and some advanced techniques I know to you if you ask me nice.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:35 pm

I think you should make a thread for these, zirrian :wink:

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:16 am

A little update, painting faces!