Went back to LEGO imagination center in Mall of America....

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

morganm
Dimmy

Went back to LEGO imagination center in Mall of America....

Post by morganm » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 am

Looks like they added some more large sculptures since I was there the first time after the new remodel job. They really are top notch. I have some photos... if there's any interest I'll take the time to upload and link.

They've updated the 'build a minifig' station. There's now two stations and they have LOTs more bodies, legs, heads, hair, and accessories to choose from. Before it was just a couple of stupid minifigs that weren't nearly worth what you paid for. Build 3 minifigs how you want for $10.00 (plus tax...) Ends up being about $3.80 per figure. Not not a good deal but if you can find some of the more rare stuff or build a really unique fig then maybe it's worth your money. I'm still not enticed enough to do it; much cheaper means of getting minifigs.

An employee there said that once the collectible minifigs get retired they are moved to the 'build a fig' station. Not sure if that's true or not.... would have to get some confirmation on that. Now if that's true then it may actually be worth the money.

Right now they have the female minifig magnet pack on sale at $8. So that's 3 figures at $8 + tax... about $2.80 a figure.... not bad if you need some more chix! I'm sure you all know that you can easily separate the magnet figures using hot water. Haven't tried it myself but read a guide online.... seemed easy enough.

They had the Mill Village Raid setup... want it more than evarrr! Love the goats, chickens, the grey spotted horse with blinders on, and buckets.... plus it's just a neat set.

A small set really caught my eye... 6918 Blacksmith Attack... some of the accessories I've not seen before. Price is nice... about $10

One set seemed... odd.... 9349 Fairytale & Historic figures was labeled as "educational". I read all over the box.... couldn't figure out what exactly was educational about it or which minifigs were "historic" :roll: Anyway.... 22 figures + accessories for about $50 + tax comes to about $2.40 per fig

Ogel96
Dimmy

Post by Ogel96 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:23 am

Yes, they do retire the collectable minifigs.
I've stolen my self a clown. That's how I made the killer klown.

The Blacksmith attack weapons are from Heroica. I got the set as well. I keep imagining the real warhead has the blacksmith's face. also- Heroica itself is decently fun, got some GREAT microfigs.

The group figures are educational, because it's a quick way to get a lot of figures intended to be put in a classroom bin or whatever.
My doctor says I have an obsession with vengance. We'll just see about that
My 550th post was "JANE-FREAKIN-GOODALL".
I called the Ghostbusters in my 600th post.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:48 am

Ya know... you're right! I did see a bunch of clown parts in the 'build a fig' station. Also saw the magician parts now that I think about it.

Didn't recall seeing any other collectible figure parts.... then again I wasn't looking that hard either. I didn't hear about the bit on retired figs until after I'd paid and was leaving. May have to stop by there again and dig a little more =)

Also have to pay attention to when they retire series 2 and 3 cuz all the good stuff is gonna go fast!

Paco
Dimmy

Post by Paco » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:18 pm

When I went to the Downtown Disney Lego store (which had just been updated into an "imagination center" like the one you're talking about) they had a ton of the series 1 Forestman torsos in the bins, so I picked up two packs of those.

(of course all the figs were parted out, they'd look like crap if I kept them like that)
Last edited by Paco on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:the link for a kingdom in turmoil leads to grave tidings.
Are you getting your ideas for posts from fortune cookies?

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:21 pm

yeah... they are finally making enough of the collectible figs that they don't all get sold out. so they have like tons of them left over. So if you go to the lego store on just the right day... you might be able to get a bunch of the fig that you really really want a lot of.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 pm

I love that sword. It looks very Spiral Knights.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Paco the Duck Ninja wrote:When I went to the Downtown Disney Lego store (which had just been updated into an "imagination center" like the one you're talking about) they had a ton of the series 1 Forestman torsos in the bins, so I picked up two packs of those.

(of course all the figs were parted out, they'd look like crap if I kept them like that)
Aww man! I work about 10-15 mins away from there. I was thinking about going there yesterday, but decided to save some money. Now I'm gong to have to swing by there.....Damn you Paco!!! :D

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Oh I forgot.... new alien conquest sets.... totally sweeeet. They had several of them setup and they all rocked out with their tentacles out. Especially like the new aliens; good additions to anyone's space collection!

solvess
Dimmy

Post by solvess » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:47 pm

morganm wrote:they all rocked out with their tentacles out.
:lol:
My brute
"Having enough Dakka is an illusion created by those too weak to stomach true warfare."
"A river of blood begins with a single drop."

Paco
Dimmy

Post by Paco » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 pm

If it makes you feel any better RoC, it was on the opposite side of the country. (Downtown Disney World)
Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:the link for a kingdom in turmoil leads to grave tidings.
Are you getting your ideas for posts from fortune cookies?