The use and effectiveness of powered minecarts.

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Powered vs booster

boosters! i like wizing back a forth 8 times rather than using 8 storage carts!
25%
powered carts! i can move 4 double chests at once with these beasts!
13%
boats are the next revolution! all hail the boat king!
No votes
use your legs! roads may be slow but they're cheap!
25%
pigs! they are... erm... cool? i guess...
38%

Total votes : 8

The use and effectiveness of powered minecarts.

Postby muffinman42 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:45 pm

I don't understand why people don't use powered minecarts. I've yet to see a booster system that can move trains of storage carts, use up minimal space, AND have NO wiring.

Powered carts provide all of these.

they are also much more aesthetically pleasing as you don't have odd booster tracks.
same for stations, this looks and works like a real station. arrivals go into the platforms, carts which are to be unloaded are shunted off to sidings, the locomotive is refueled and the train continues on like Bonn-o-Tron. points are shifted by either levers next to them or levers in a signal box.

I know people claim theirs glitches, a popular one being "they don't work in X direction" i've run in all directions and have had no problem.
the only problem is wiggly track, powered carts struggle to push trains round sharp corners. (fine on a single corner but struggles if the next is too soon) which is not a glitch, it's pushing things it has a right to struggle round sharp bends!

*Note; i know of "Powered tracks" but I'm calling them boosters to make telling them apart simpler.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby knolli » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:59 pm

One major disadvantage of powered minecarts: They usually don't reach max speed. It may be faster than walking, but when I travel long distances I usually want to travel as fast as possible. And so far I've never been in a situation where I had to transport so many cartloads that it would have been efficient to build a railroad just for that. If you really need ressources, you can easily dig a new mine anywhere.
Eight full chests would be the maximum I ever stored in one place. Usually I move before my pile of cobble reaches these hights.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Ham701 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:21 pm

knolli wrote:One major disadvantage of powered minecarts: They usually don't reach max speed. It may be faster than walking, but when I travel long distances I usually want to travel as fast as possible. And so far I've never been in a situation where I had to transport so many cartloads that it would have been efficient to build a railroad just for that. If you really need ressources, you can easily dig a new mine anywhere.
Eight full chests would be the maximum I ever stored in one place. Usually I move before my pile of cobble reaches these hights.

Server-wise, it'd be useful to have chain of resources going from the mine to where ever, or perhaps shipping items between different towns/ factions.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor
Galidor

Postby RunsWithLegos » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:02 pm

why not have a cargo[powered] track next to a passenger [booster] track?
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby muffinman42 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 pm

RunsWithLegos wrote:why not have a cargo[powered] track next to a passenger [booster] track?

because of resources. also powered cart trains are awesome!

not only dose that need ~2x the amount of track it also involves more mining and bridge building. stations would be more complex as well.

and they're not that slow, you can always go and get a drink.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby RunsWithLegos » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

muffinman42 wrote:
RunsWithLegos wrote:why not have a cargo[powered] track next to a passenger [booster] track?

because of resources. also powered cart trains are awesome!

not only dose that need ~2x the amount of track it also involves more mining and bridge building. stations would be more complex as well.

and they're not that slow, you can always go and get a drink.

i am still going through with my plans reguardless.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Ham701 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Planned river faction for next map will have no railroads. Going to do it old fashioned way, build an airship to transport goods to other countries.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor
Galidor

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:01 am

Ham701 wrote:Planned river faction for next map will have no railroads. Going to do it old fashioned way, build an airship to transport goods to other countries.

err.... Ok... have fun...

if you mean boat i understand.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Ham701 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 pm

muffinman42 wrote:
Ham701 wrote:Planned river faction for next map will have no railroads. Going to do it old fashioned way, build an airship to transport goods to other countries.

err.... Ok... have fun...

if you mean boat I understand.

Bitches don't know bout Matt's server.

Ham701
Galidor
Galidor

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:44 pm

early airships are pretty shit. I know of the zeppelin mod, which is awesome incarnate. but river and old airships just makes me think of boats being more effective.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Ham701 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Please refer to my previous statement.

Ham701
Galidor
Galidor

Return to blah blah minecraft