Fuel chunks.

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

muffinman42
Dimmy

Fuel chunks.

Post by muffinman42 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm

This rule set only applys to Non-Liquid fuels Only. (though liquids could be counted as canisters)

this idea is that vehicles have to burn fuel to accelerate, cruise or preform another function related to it's furnace/reactor/engine.
This means you need a (potentially explosive) fuel source on the vehicle.
a unit of fuel is represented by an ingame token, such a 10units of coal could be a black 1x1brick,or a tank(20units) of petrel could be a 2x1 green brick.
Each vehicle has either 1 or more efficiency rates each related to an action, a score of 1 would burn 1 of a unit, and so on. these efficiency rates could have modifiers depending on the use of the function.

for example;
steam locomotive (see "project wartrain")

Accelerate; 1 * inches-per-turn-acceleration * weigh_of_train(sum of all cars, fudge the number)
cruise; 1/2 * inches move * 1/2 weigh_of_train
idle/decelerate; 1/10 (idling is when it's ready to start accelerating, an engine that isn't idled has to spend a turn warming up)

steam powered cannon

aim; 1
idle; 1/10

Post-apoc tank truck

Accelerate; 2*inches-per-turn-acceleration
cruise; 1*inches moved
fuel bomb; 2
idle; 1+turn number (increase as turns go by due to rusty fuel lines and tank corroding)

These rules may seem OTT but they are to be used in battles where vehicles are major things, where there are less than 4 using the system certainly.

it allows for fuel to be treated as a resource with value and could work well in post apoc battles.
Last edited by muffinman42 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Could be applied to a post-apoc game, with vehicles having limited fuel and more fuel scattered around the board.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

HHD
Hero

Post by HHD » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm

i like the idea but you need to make fuels better by maybe 100% i know of the efficence ratess but that just gets bitchy and mean more time calculating how far the vehical can move and shoot.

PS: for the sci fi fans there are antimeatter generators and one 1x1 flat could power your described ship for over 2000 years doing everything at once
I change my signature so much it become a quote of the day system but, no more!

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:25 pm

HHD wrote:I like the idea but you need to make fuels better by maybe 100% I know of the efficiency rates but that just gets bitty and mean more time calculating how far the vehicle can move and shoot.

PS: for the sci-fi fans there are antimatter generators and one 1x1 flat could power your described ship for over 2000 years doing everything at once
the ship is just an example and the idea is to encourage a large fuel bay that gives some more risk to the game.
but the idea is not so much for those and was more designed for steam engines.

also antimatter would need special storage and a big arse reactor.

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd say that space is a poor example, there are only a handful of people here who can have SHIP scale battles and even fewer who actually do, and it would mean even more time spent on what is already the most complicated game. The principal would work for any game with a survival theme, Post-Apoc, Botched colony project, Death Race, Steam-punk Dogfights. etc. One thing I would say is that less maths, just deduct fuel for movement with extra fuel used if the speed the vehicle is moving at is higher than last turn.

EDIT: Large Scale Post Apoc RPG's (like ESPG but with zombies), would almost certainly benefit from this, with fuel being more valuable than gold for any player wanting to get across the floor quickly, or bring more firepower.
Last edited by dilanski on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 pm

dilanski wrote:I'd say that space is a poor example, there are only a handful of people here who can have SHIP scale battles and even fewer who actually do, and it would mean even more time spent on what is already the most complicated game. The principal would work for any game with a survival theme, Post-Apoc, Botched colony project, Death Race, Steam-punk Dogfights. etc. One thing I would say is that less maths, just deduct fuel for movement with extra fuel used if the speed the vehicle is moving at is higher than last turn.

EDIT: Large Scale Post Apoc RPG's (like ESPG but with zombies), would almost certainly benefit from this, with fuel being more valuable than gold for any player wanting to get across the floor quickly, or bring more firepower.
it's just an example, I've included more now. post apoc is my favorite, or steam punk.