Microspace Competition!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Microspace Competition!

Post by Olothontor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 pm

I've kinda wanted to do this for a while, so here I go.

I was originally going to make this a tablescraps competition, but I decided to opt instead for more of an "anything goes" style. That means that you guys only have two rules to follow, but follow them carefully.
'
  • 6. New. The microspace entry must have been made for this competition; no posting old stuff or revamping old MOCs to fit rule #2.
    7. Within Size Limit. The microspace entry must be between 2in. and 8in. in length; between 1in. and 8in. for width and height. Please list the dimensions of your ship when you make your entry post.
Some guidelines to follow:
  • 6. Give your ship some character. While just posting a few images of your MOC and calling it a day is perfectly acceptable, it can never hurt to go the extra mile and create some fluff, even if that fluff is just the ship's name and a brief description of her crew. Along that same vein, don't post a novel either. Keep it relatively short and sweet; I'd say don't write more than a few paragraphs if you do this.
    7. Be creative! If you have a completely wacky idea, go out on a limb and try it. Creative part usages, clever design, or subtle detailing are all welcome additions and really help flesh out a ship.
    8. Fill out the ship. It's usually not a great idea to leave huge swaths of your ship open and without detail, unless the flat space has something interesting to it (large open curves, for example, don't need detail due to their interesting shape). Decals or stickers are perfectly acceptable, if you've got nothing else up your sleeve!
All of these are things to keep in mind while building, and things to look for while judging.

The competition will be judged by the forums themselves. As soon as we hit the last day for entries, I'll post a new thread for voting with an attached poll and a list of the entries, their owners, and the entries' details. Any ties that are in place by the end of the voting week will be decided by the tie-breaker panel, consisting of theblackdog, 501stCadians, and I.

All entries must be posted in this thread by 10/10/2011 !
Don't forget your guidelines! Good luck, builders!
Last edited by Olothontor on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:33 pm

Fuck Yeah!

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:54 pm

I am totally in. Thank you.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Olothontor's Entry: The Cockatrice-Class Freighter
(yes, the tie-breaker judges are allowed their own entries)

Builder: Keith "Olothontor" Riddle
Title: Cockatrice-Class Freighter
Dimensions: ~3" x 2" x 1"
Fluff: This mid-size freighter is designed mostly for liquid substances, but has the cargo space to deal with small quantities of just about anything. Due to most of the ship's mass being comprised of spacious liquid containment tanks near the rear, the ship is often used to haul oil and other precious liquids from rim worlds to more civilized areas. The ship's design is simple and efficient, ideal for mass-production. They're generally bought in bulk by private shipping companies to fulfill contracts, although the occasional freelance merchant or smuggler can be found with one (legally obtained or otherwise).

-=[ Visage ]=-

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Not much to add except a thank-you to Olothontor for offering me a chance to judge. The Cockatrice looks really cool, it took me a while to figure out how you made the angles.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:28 pm

Sigh. Just as I was feeling semi-good about mine, you have to go and post yours. Nicely done, expect mine soon (tomorrow or tuesday, most likely) as the camera is a commodity around my house :? . Anyway, it has been built. May I suggest more of these little competitions? It forces me to actually build once in a while.

Side note: Can't wait to see what Blackdog comes up with...

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:30 pm

enders_shadow wrote:May I suggest more of these little competitions? It forces me to actually build once in a while.
Sure! I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do this every now and again. I'll try not to make them ALL microspace...
enders_shadow wrote:Side note: Can't wait to see what Blackdog comes up with...
Oh, ditto, man. Ditto.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Olothontor wrote:
enders_shadow wrote:May I suggest more of these little competitions? It forces me to actually build once in a while.
Sure! I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do this every now and again. I'll try not to make them ALL microspace...
enders_shadow wrote:Side note: Can't wait to see what Blackdog comes up with...
Oh, ditto, man. Ditto.
Sadly you'll be disappointed. I'm at college and all my lego is at home. Pity, too. I do have a few ideas for when I get back...

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:59 pm

You...you... :cry:

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:18 am

Theblackdog wrote:Sadly you'll be disappointed. I'm at college and all my lego is at home. Pity, too. I do have a few ideas for when I get back...
You know, I may need to extend the competition deadline now. When do you get back?
-=[ Visage ]=-

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 am

Thanksgiving. I'd say don't bother, I can always do the next one.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Theblackdog wrote:Thanksgiving. I'd say don't bother, I can always do the next one.
I'll be sure to shoot you a message when the next one rolls around.

One week to entry deadline.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for that. For my part, I think there's a lot of talented people on this forum who don't build very much microspace, and I'm eager to see what they can do.

Also, a steampunkish microship I built a few years ago but never posted, in case anyone needs inspiration:

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm done, but I need to find a set of AA batteries.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Theblackdog wrote:Image
Wow. I feel like he should win even if he doesn't enter. Or just picking others from his work. Anyway, perhaps a change in venues, though? I'd like a mecha competition, speeder competition, etc. Just to attract different people.