October 13 Brikwar: @ Philly / Grudge Match

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

October 13 Brikwar: @ Philly / Grudge Match

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Welcome to another edition of Rev's battle reports. Finally being back in the NJ/Eastern PA region for grad school, I can once again make routine trips to Redcaps corner and throw down some brik wars with the locals. Hold on to your hats, boys and girls because we've got another match up between yours truly and Dirtycajun (this happens a lot, I know :D). Dirtycajun sports his ever-lovely Horror Corps while I'm trying my Space Knights in their first 1v1 battle.

Turn 0/Set-up:

On one edge of the map, the Space Knights emerge. The bulk of the force deploys on the plains, but, as you'll see, i'm in kinda a pickle. I have to work my way through an atrocious bottle-neck to get to the Horror Corps. My hero contingents have set up camp in a nearby castle, though won't be staying there for long.

The Horror Corps has deployed opposite me, complete with two jeeps (with 2 Medix and 3 Mechanix). Heavy / Special weapons teams have deployed mostly around the Post-modern Base that holds none other than The Hula Girl hostage. If you've followed any of the Philly battles closely, you'll know that obtaining the Hula Girl always makes it onto my objective list. For this scenario, the Space Knights must attempt to rescue the Hula Girl before the sadistic machinations of the Horror Sergeant feed her to an alligator (in the pit she's dangling over...).

Here's an Overwatch of the battlefield.

And...yeah...so this is the Corpse of Capitalism, or something likewise symbolic. Dirtycajun and I like to have interactive terrain, so this guy'll show up from time to time I suppose...

Turn 1:

Rev's movement for Turn 1. Now you can see my choke-point dilemma. Two of my Rocket Knights skirt the far edge of the field where a dragon sits idly (and blocks the path). The bulk of the forces trudge through the center where a downed jeep and APC make maneuvering difficult.

Only two of my Crossbowmen were in range and both failed to inflict wounds.

On Dirtycajun's turn, the Pumpkin Walker opens fire on one of my Rocket Knights. It also sent a missile from its pod at the scenery dragon...

...who is now a pile of meat, thanks to the ramming skills of the Corps jeeps.

A heavy weapons dude from the Corps (with the whitish cannons) obliterates another Rocket Knight (side note: the Rocket Knights have been the first of my units to fall in the last two battles I've played...maybe I need to use them differently :?: )

The Ghost of Capitalism is fighting with the skeleton of a DSM?

And a flame-throwing octopus assaults on un-mounted horse?!?!

Turn 2:

The Rocket Knight hits 3 or 4 Corps members with his explosive lance! His horse (who was in the explosive radius) survives.

In order to expedite travel, the Techmage's feat blasts a whole through the castle wall by compacting a magnetic field. After rolling to "scatter" where the debris went, no enemies were hit :(

The bulk of the Space Knights move forward, some seeking cover, the heavies just itching for something to shoot. Crossbows try to hit a couple targets but fail.

Both Dreadnuts open fire at the walker and the one with the chaincannon inflicts 1 point of Size Damage.

Dirtycajun's turn. So one of the coolest parts about playing with him is that his feats are not only creative, but he names every one of them. This one was called "Evolution of Horror" in which the Horror Sergeant attempted to grow wings!! (Tremors 3 anyone?) A failed feat check gave the Sergeant fins instead (which was silly of me because I momentarily forgot that Dirtycajun's position was surrounded by water :roll:)

A mechanix rocket wolf-chick takes up a position of cover.

The remaining Rocket Knight is quickly surrounded by grunts and dispatched.

The Pumpkin walker opens up with another missile destined for the gatling Dreadnut. While the missile failed to scratch, the splash damage wipes out half of my razorbowmen!!

And here, the heavy cannon Corpsman takes 1 size point off of Dreadnut #2.

Turn 3:

Rev's Turn 3. So here we see movement for the Space Knights. You might wonder why the Dreadnut is so far forward. The Techmage had attempted to hack into the Pumpkin Walker to move it farther forward into the choke-point kill-zone. Failing at that, dirtycajun determined that the Dreadnut was moved forward toward his own forces :evil:

But that did allow me, thanks to the Dreadnuts, to inflict another size damage to the Walker!

Razorbowmen scramble onto the downed APC for cover but fail to kill any important targets (maybe 1 Corps grunt).

Dirtycajun's turn. And I don't know if I mentioned that he plays with a LOT of mechanix. Who, on my turn, tinkered with and combined the jeeps into the Rumbling Caterpad.

Said caterpillar contraption rumbles forward and WOULD HAVE outright blown up my Dreadnut (following a ridiculous ramming damage roll) had there not been a sturdy jeep in the way to absorb some of the blow.

Ironically, what the Caterpillar could not do, the heavy-cannons fire at and take a size point off of the chaincannon Dreadnut.

Doing his swimming thing, the Corps sergeant assaults the Techmage only to ravage a peasant red-shirt instead!

When the Techmage attempts to retaliate with a lightning-imbued counterattack, the Sergeant sinks into the murky depths...waiting...

Turn 4:

Tapping into his telekinetic powers, the Techmage pulls a canoe from the shores of the Post-modern fortress and creates a bridge to his sergeant adversary. Attacks, however, whiff. The Space Knight noble leaps over debris, confronting the Caterpillar full of Corpsmen with his machine pistol.

And the machine-pistol's arc goes to town!

Razorbowmen finally kill a target, the heavy cannon.

And a Dreadnut attempts to missile the pumpkin sniper. Dud.

Oh! And I forgot to mention. A heavy salvo of fire from the minigun heavies demolished the pumpkin walker. For some reason I don't have a picture of that...

The Horror Sergeant leaps at the Techmage, though I don't think damage got through.

Grunts gang-bang and slay the rest of the Razorbowmen.

More Corpsmen try to engage the Space Knight noble. Attempts fail.

This feat was called "The Enemy was You All Along" - or something...Anyway, dirtycajun was attempting to duplicate and reflect my last attack onto the Techmage himself. The feat failed; so what really happened was that the Horror Sergeant was unmasked as Bonswa the Butler!?!? The REAL horror Sergeant was serving dinner to the Hula Girl?!?!

Final Photo of the Match

We had to call the game after 4 turns because I needed to travel into the city to teach martial arts. Another great game, and this time, my penchant for rolling sixes :boss: was less prominent and countered by some of dirtycajuns own exploding dice.

Hope you enjoyed another Batrep from Philly.

~ Rev.
Last edited by Rev. Sylvanus on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:25 am

Your reports seize to delight us Rev, can't wait for this one! 8)

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:12 am

Looks like it's gonna be awesome. One question, why is there a flipped-over tank in one of the pictures? Is it just terrain?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:44 am

Yup. We both contributed downed vehicles as terrain in the valley.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Awesome battle, as always!

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:36 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed yet another Philly battle of epic awesomeness!

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 pm

I need to get up there sometime. Just don't be expect me soon... epic stuff, in any case.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I love the creativeness all around, Dirtycajun is a worthy adversary. Also, in response to your question, I would use your knights as less of a 'suicide' type attack and more of a preventative melee/ranged protector units for your archers, as they seemed to die... quite quickly.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:00 am

the Rocket Knights have been the first of my units to fall in the last two battles I've played...
Quite generally cavalry is best not sent in first where they can get a lot of retaliation and have to absorb a lot of damage because they're less numerous and the enemy can focus on them more. This terrain wasn't so ideal for cavalry but when you have more space you should probably keep them out of harm's way and screen their advance so you can use their charge to their full potential (preferably against enemy flanks), you should also try to keep them from being locked down in melee because you'll want them to be charging. After the charge you can send in other units to give them cover. That's how I use my cavalry in most strategy games anyway, I don't know how the translates to Brikwars though.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:47 am

Really? I have a lightly defended buggy that I count as cavalry and I send it in first every time, and it fucks shit up. Ask NapalmKing about it, he absolutely hates it.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:00 am

A buggy sounds more like a light reckon vehicle to me, with higher armour than your average knight who has 5 or 6. Remember what happened to your cavalry in Zahru's battle, eh eh eh.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Brikboyz
Officer

Post by Brikboyz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:52 pm

This was an amazing battle! I'm always impressed with all of these battles.
Too many bricks, never enough time.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for the compliment Brikboyz; I wouldn't post them if people were not enjoying the photos and the read.

And thanks everyone for the cavalry suggestions. When I was typing the report, it was just a rhetorical thought, but I'm not well versed in much strategy gaming, so this helps my "skills" a bit (if "skill" is necessary in brikwars, lol).

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:32 am

I wish I had a similar community here; these battles are awesome well-thought, and FUN.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 am

Zahru II wrote:I wish I had a similar community here; these battles are awesome well-thought, and FUN.
It took many years to find them. All it takes is to spark one other person's interest and then you'll have more battles than you can handle :)