The Server's First RP Season!

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Postby Ross_Varn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Getting on then! Modtime!
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby knolli » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:16 am

The Magisters of the Akademika are studying "their" Shard. In the long term they want to bring back Magika (back) to the world. Undead and similar monsters exist, so the magic energy has to be somewhere. But no men knows how to harness it, yet.
Their first target is to get a fundamental understanding of magic and the ability to utilyze it. Some experiments focus on the transmission of magic energy into lifeless objects. Maybe in the far future, men will be able to cast spell without the use of enchanted items, but that is only "science fiction".
As soon as the Magisters finish their first sets of studies, potions and enchantements will be ready for sale at the Akademika.

That will be my explanation for the developements 1.9 will bring.

If you want to introduce more Shards to the world, what use will they have? To the Magisters the Shard is a important source of knowledge, but too dangerous for actual use, like a nuclear bomb that you take apart to learn about radio activity but that could explode if you make the slightest mistake. What would the dwarves or pirates use a Shard for?
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Ross_Varn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm in the process of building a few Temples for parties to set out to discover. Matt said that there are several, correct? So the Akademika has one, Sess destroyed one, and there are a few more out there.

And if it has an effect... one single effect that could easily result in 'corruption' or destruction, or bring spectacular results... what do you think covers that?

Creative Mode.

Ironfall was built around a Shard. That explains their ability to seemingly produce something from nothing.

Those who discover and possess the Shards?

They shall become unto gods themselves.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby knolli » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:58 pm

I "took" the Shard because I thought it fits the theme of the Akademika. And that way the Shard will become the ingame explanation of the upcomming features in 1.9.
Rewarding the lucky finder of other Shards with Creative Powers is a nice idea, but maybe a bit too unbalanced. Maybe you could turn it into some kind of race or King of the Hill like game: The faction that controles the most (or all) Shards is rewardes with some kind of (time limited) bonus.

For my part neither do I have nor do I want to have Creative Mode powers. So far all of Akademika was made from ressources I have gathered myself. And I want it to stay that way.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby BFenix » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:Ironfall was built around a Shard. That explains their ability to seemingly produce something from nothing.

What's that supposed to mean? I'm just making the prime structures with Creative. Once those are done, everything will "return to normal". And I have no clue of this shard.
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:17 pm

What- shit. I screwed that one up. Supposed to read Igniteum...
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby SnakeMittens » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Ok, the Ironfall shard wasn't destroyed. It was just corrupted by Sess. Until this happened, we were also able to produce matter out of thin air, but our power is waning.

Basically, when we lose Creative mode, the remaining good power of the Shard will have been depleted. RP Explanation for some stuff.
SnakeMittens
Galidor

Postby SnakeMittens » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 am

I has idea! Normal shards have glowstone cores, but corrupted shards have missing parts, so they aren't full diamonds, and they have netherrack at their cores.
SnakeMittens
Galidor

Postby knolli » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:13 am

Legends claim that the shards are like anchors for the magic fields of the world. If you mess with any of these anchors, the magic will flow uncontrolled and eventually rip the world apart.

Some rumors say that at the core of the world there exists a Black Shard that is responsible for all the monsters and undead walking the world. It was corrupted eons ago and the magic stream it was to harness went wild.

One theory states that once all Shards together formed bigger entity called the Big Crystal. The destruction of the Big Crystal is was gave birth to the world we know. This is known as the Big Bang Theory.

There is no reason why different Shards should share the same shape, color or abilitiy. Or why they don't.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Working on a Temple. The plan -unapproved- is to gather a party of three or four to take it on and disable or loot the Shard at the end.

The entrance will end up being claimed by someone so nobody breaks in- don't breach it just yet, I'm not done building.

I may end up getting the Akademika to claim it, they're the ones researching it after all.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Olothontor » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Whenever you're online, lemme know and I'll come help out.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby knolli » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I found the Temple by accident and only learned later that it was your RP-Dungeon - when I found the exit/entrance. I tried to undo anything and cover my traces the best I could, but without smooth stone there was only so much I could do.

I like what you did there. Looks really cool. I only hope you will continue your work.

PS: Did you know that there is a spider dungeon really close by? I hope it was okay to loot it.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:22 pm

It's fine- heck, I can't seem to connect anyway. I'll keep working, but it'll take a bit to complete, seeing that I haven't been thinking about it.

(and as long as no creepers detonated in the tunnel, I don't have a problem with it. Heh.)
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Previous

Return to blah blah minecraft