[WIP] FyreUK Contest Entry - 'Stormside' and 'Sentinel'

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Postby SnakeMittens » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:43 am

:shock: :o :csi:
We need some of this stuff for the server!
SnakeMittens
Galidor

Postby Olothontor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks, Snakemittens. The encouragement really does help.

Look, shiny screenies! I laid down the groundwork for some of the roads and the "shells" of the houses. The docks on either side are soon to come. I'm going to try to add subtle detail to each of the houses so that they're not all exactly the same.

Also, the back lighthouse has a bridge and a direct route through the mountain and into the largest tower.

A closer detail of the completed houses thus far. There will be basements underneath, so they are actually liveable.

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby knolli » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm

What tools do you use? Os did you build the towers and everything by hand?
I understand that the three towers are half ellipsoids and that a program should be able to design them in seconds, but to plan just one of them by hand took me nearly two hours. And I didn't even start building, yet. In Survival that will take some extra time.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Olothontor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm

knolli wrote:What tools do you use? Os did you build the towers and everything by hand?
I understand that the three towers are half ellipsoids and that a program should be able to design them in seconds, but to plan just one of them by hand took me nearly two hours. And I didn't even start building, yet. In Survival that will take some extra time.

No, this was all by hand. I plotted them out with the help of MCEdit, but I did not directly use the brush tool.

I was about to, but I was afraid that the act would break the rules of the contest somewhat, even though it was not actively disallowed. It felt like cheating.

So, I used the brush tool of the appropriate size on a separate map, counted out the measurements, and then copied it over. There were times where I needed two iterations of Minecraft open. Occasionally frustrating, but worth it.

Brief EDIT update before I go to study for my Japanese midterm:

I flew up a bit to see what I could see, and I really liked this shot. Felt the need to share. Enjoy!

Also, I'll point out the beginnings of the dock on the inlet nearest the camera... it's coming together, I suppose, although it's a bit labyrinthine.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RunsWithLegos » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:14 pm

damn that's nice.
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby knolli » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:26 am

Simply amazing. But the most amazing fact about this is the speed. I would still be working on the first tower. On the other hand, I don't use MCEdit and my PC is so weak that it has trouble running anything else while Minecraft is open, let alone another Minecraft iteration.

To get the design for the ellipsoids I had to calculate every ellipse one by one using plotz and to count the blocks. This method is NOT recommended. Maybe I should try MCEdit just for the planning.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Olothontor » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:56 am

knolli wrote:Maybe I should try MCEdit just for the planning.

Thanks for the high praise. My only mistake was not making the towers hollow... a problem that I corrected when building the shells for the houses. That extra step of hollowing out the floors is so frustrating.

As for your musings over MCEdit, I recommend it. The controls take a little bit of getting used to, but after that it's wonderful. There are all sorts of applications (for example, the server's floating islands? Those were made almost exclusively with MCEdit. Granted, that process took a lot longer because there were so many steps involved, but the end result was worth the time spent).
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Olothontor » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:03 am

More progress. Most of the houses are externally done and just need a little internal decoration. If I have time over the next 4 days, I'll give them all simple basements as well, but we'll see.

-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Olothontor » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 am

Another few shots.

Hopefully today I'll get the piers hammered out and more of the central tower interiors worked on like Bonn-o-Tron. I'm giving myself a limit of three more days to work on this so that I can figure out recording the video and how to post a video response.

SPEAKING OF WHICH. Does anyone here know how exactly to post a video response?
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Olothontor » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:45 pm

The entry has been completed well enough to post, so there it is! We'll see how this goes. I don't expect to win.

If anybody's interested in hearing me babble for 13 minutes... have fun.
Last edited by Olothontor on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby BFenix » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Olothontor wrote:If anybody's interested in hearing me babble for 13 minutes... have fun.

The entry has been completed well enough to post, so there it is! We'll see how this goes. I don't expect to win.

Left you a comment, cheers mate! 8)
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Re: [WIP] FyreUK Contest Entry - 'Stormside' and 'Sentinel'

Postby Olothontor » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Alright, so since I didn't manage to get in this year, I've already begun a new map for next year's contest. Yeah... I'm that much of a dork.

Anywho, pictures! (in no particular order)

So far, just a small island estate. Imagine drakes, keeping vigil as they hold up the bridge...
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby enders_shadow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:34 pm

But drakes have poor defense on castle tiles...

On a different note, all of this was highly spectacular, and it's a shame you weren't able to finish the first one- it was a gem. I liked the layout of the second one a bit better though, it was more geometric and stylized. Good luck for...next year? and I'd love it if you kept this updated. :D
TROLOLO
enders_shadow
Playmobil

Postby Olothontor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:24 am

enders_shadow wrote:But drakes have poor defense on castle tiles...

We need to play more Battle for Wesnoth.

enders_shadow wrote:On a different note, all of this was highly spectacular, and it's a shame you weren't able to finish the first one- it was a gem. I liked the layout of the second one a bit better though, it was more geometric and stylized. Good luck for...next year? and I'd love it if you kept this updated. :D

Amidst the flurry of activity, I will do. Currently, I'm working on a project with a Steam buddy of mine to create a massive sandbox RPG Adventure Map to post on the Minecraft forums, with planned map expansions and a fully fleshed out setting to romp around in. That'll be eating most of my free time for the months to come, but if I find time to sit down and get some work done on next year's submission, I will post updates here.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Previous

Return to blah blah minecraft