Consensus on Buying MOCs

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Consensus on Buying MOCs

Post by Lord Mercat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:40 am

What is the general consensus on buying MOCs others have made and using them for your own Brikwars battles? Obviously, with due credit given.

I ask this because, while, I love building my own creations, I also love what others have built (well, the awesome stuff), and when I was much younger, used to trade MOCs with friends. Recently I have also seen a large increase in quality sets offered by people with a lot of time on their hands who sell their creations online. I have been sorely tempted by a few of these, I must admit, but I am always held back by the thought that I shouldn't use in battle something I haven't made myself. Any thoughts?

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 am

Not as cool as something original, but still might be cool. After all, someone else makes the plastic you build with, right?

On kits: Usually very well done, always crazy expensive.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:15 am

It is good to want to field your own creations in battle, but I also believe in learning new skills and techniques as a builder from looking at creations made by those who have more parts and are more experienced. I think that if you bought a MOC from someone else it is about the same as if you built your own copy of it, much as many people have made my Black Knights and I have copied tunasailor's Jaguar Armoured Car. I don't look down on trading or buying something that's good because you can learn from it.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 am

I might buy MOCs, if they're affordable/cool enough; although I would never give money to MOC instructions. I just can't justify it for some reason: if I wanna borrow a design/borrow my design then take it, if you give credit to the original creator, that's fine.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 am

Doubt I'd ever buy a MOC just because they are usually more expensive than the sum of their parts.

I'm just too damn cheap =P

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:19 am

I feel that taking (or buying) someone else's design and building it yourself is more respectable that buying a pre-built model. That's how we all started after all, building models from official instructions. But really, whatever gets units on the table is fine with me.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:58 pm

When Dr. X left I did buy one of his nice space fighters. The ship looked good and he offered them at a reasonable price.

So as someone who bought an MOC I would have to say I think it is nice, but I do respect those who build more. Owning a great looking MOC is fun, but so is building something myself and then watching it get tore apart in a game is also fun. :lol:
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:07 pm

While I for one have never had the opportunity to buy a MOC I'd like to own, I'm fine with whatever you want to do. As people have already stated, it's pretty much like copying designs form the internet (which I shamelessly do) but you get parts with it. Plus when you make something in the future, you can incorporate elements of the other persons building technique (As Natalya said). So really, it's your prerogative: go for it.

Paco
Dimmy

Post by Paco » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I agree with stubby, it's really not all that different than buying a set.
Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:the link for a kingdom in turmoil leads to grave tidings.
Are you getting your ideas for posts from fortune cookies?

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:57 am

Nope. I'll look at stuff people have build online and borrow some of their building techniques, but other than that, my stuff is all my own.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.