The Military of Trattoria

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:Oooh, pedobeluga got some OTCs! Hear that guys? We're supposed to be afraid, or something like that... :roll:
Why do you insist on constantly being such a little prick?

I stand by my opinion about the OTC's, there are just too damn many.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: The Military of Trattoria

Post by cleanupcrew » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:21 pm

A routine Trattorian patrol is scouting out through a new territory world with a new friend...

It’s a Trattorian Exterminator mobile sentry turret! Due to the relatively small size of the empire’s infantry forces, the military has looked into and researched automated units, such as the Exterminator.

Armed with two blasters and an impermeable 5d10 forcefield, the Exterminator was more designed to grind down infantry squads slowly than unleash instant death to all. Not even my main battle tank with its size 6 main cannon stands much chance against the shields. It can also roll up to travel faster if needed.

Credit to some guy on mocpages for the design. I can’t remember where I found it.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:58 pm

A 5d10 shield and two blasters means it needs at least a Size 4 power source somewhere.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:00 pm

stubby wrote:A 5d10 shield and two blasters means it needs at least a Size 4 power source somewhere.
:owned:
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:04 pm

You can fudge the rules wherever your opponents will let you get away with it, but . . . I doubt you'll find any opponents who'd let you get away with this one. Maaaaaybe if it had some kind of remote power source or something they could attack, but even then it'd depend on finding some very tolerant foes.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Seriously man, I would limit it to 1d10. Enough to resist grenades and most blasters, but not enough to be overpowered.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Oh shit, it's just that I looked in the rulebook and it gave forcefields as an example of a 5d10 structure. Although I never knew that there were official rules for force fields. Back to the drawing board for me I guess.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Colette wrote:Oh shit, it's just that I looked in the rulebook and it gave forcefields as an example of a 5d10 structure. Although I never knew that there were official rules for force fields. Back to the drawing board for me I guess.
They're not where you'd expect - they're in the middle of 8.5: Field Hazards in the 2010 rules.

But even if you're not using the Shields rules, a creation's Structure Level can never exceed its Size. So even a superadvanced force field would be down-powered to 1d10 in this case.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Okay, here's what I've come up with in the interim. In the future I will build a proper army vehicle to do this, but :

The cargo that the ship is carrying is the remote generator for all these little droideka rip-offs to power their 5d10 shields with. It can be used for interesting search and destroy missions (i.e. invincible Exterminator rains death until the opposing army destroys the generator).

If an opponent objects to this borderline anorakish behavior the shields are automatically downgraded to two 1d10 hit points.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Silverdream wrote:Seriously man, I would limit it to 1d10. Enough to resist grenades and most blasters, but not enough to be overpowered.
Seriously, it's this and a size 1-2ish power source or having to find a way to attach a nuclear reactor to that little droideka knock-off.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Energy Shields
Cost: Size"xCP per 1d6 Energy Shield or 1d10 Specialized Shield
While not Hazardous in the usual sense, Energy Shield dice are treated as a type of Hazard Dice, subject to the same Field Size limits as other Hazard Dice. Energy Shields are not especially cost-effective as a replacement for standard Armor, but they do open up extra protection options for a Creation that has already reached its maximum Structure Level.

By default, Energy Shields work against all kinds of incoming Damage, although certain campaign settings or strategies can call for Specialized Shields which are super-effective against a specific attack type but completely ineffective against other Damage types. In sci-fi settings, starships often have separate Specialized Shields for energy weapons and for physical projectiles, while a fantasy setting may have Specialized Shield enchantments against melee weapons or against ranged projectiles. A standard Energy Shield die protects against 1d6 points of incoming Damage of any type, while a Specialized Shield die protects against 1d10 points of incoming Damage of its designated type.

When activated, Energy Shield dice are triggered by every incoming attack that does at least one point of Damage (or, for Specialized Shields, every incoming attack of the appropriate type). The same Energy Shield die can be triggered multiple times in the same turn by multiple attacks, but each time a die is triggered it counts one more inch against the Creation's Weapon Size limit. Once that limit is reached, the Creation is out of power to activate Energy Shields or any other weapons or devices until its next turn. Opponents may take advantage by using Opportunity Attacks to overload a heavily-shielded Creation on its own turn, before it's able to bring its weapons to bear.
  • Even in very simple battles, Creations with Energy Shield dice should have some means of showing how much power they have left available in their Weapon Size limit for the turn (usually with a series of pips on some surface), or, at the very least, some indicator of whether the Energy Shields are up or down (with a switch element or any other removable piece used as an Energy Shield indicator).
On a Creation with multiple Energy Shield dice, the dice are triggered in sequence rather than all together. At least one point of Damage must get past the first Energy Shield die in order to activate the next, and the Creation must have sufficient room left in its Weapon Size limit to trigger each new die.

It costs an Action to activate or deactivate Energy Shields. Individual Energy Shield dice can be activated or deactivated independently - a hovertank might have five Energy Shield dice but only choose to activate one of them, for example, if it expects to suffer a large number of small attacks rather than a small number of large ones. An Operator can also use an Action to take direct control of Energy Shields over the course of a turn, deciding how many Energy Shield dice to activate for each incoming attack - a useful way of conserving limited Energy Shield defenses for when they're most important.

Energy Shields are created by Shield Projectors extruding from the surface of the Creation they protect. Any elements or objects can be used as Shield Projectors, as long as they're obvious to all players; these have no extra cost beyond what was already paid for the Energy Shield dice. Shield Projectors can't project past solid objects, so only the elements with immediate line of sight to one or more Projectors can be protected. If any part of an individual element has line-of-sight to the Shield Projector and is within the Field Size, the whole element is protected, including sides of the element facing away from the Projector. If a Creation has exposed surfaces facing in multiple directions, it'll need multiple Shield Projectors if it wants to cover all of them. Shield Projectors can be vulnerable to Component Damage attacks, and are always one Structure Level weaker (minimum Structure Level zero) than the Creation they're mounted on, although they are also protected by their own Energy Shield dice while activated.
The only rule you'd really have to break would be the part that says the Shield Projectors have to be on the droids themselves - I think everything else could be worked around. The shield projector ship would have to have line of sight to any droids it was protecting. Energy Shield dice are limited by the Size of the force fields (1d6 per 1" of Size), but that leads to a cool game mechanic where droids can increase the power and size of their Shields by grouping together.

The power supply is still the most important part, since every time you use a Shield die it's equivalent to using an inch worth of weapons. Flying Vehicles can only supply as much weapon power as their own size, so a Size 4" Flying Vehicle would be able to power the first four Shield dice used in any turn. A Size 4" Ground Vehicle would be more efficient, providing the power to the first eight Shield dice used every turn, but it might be harder to maintain line-of-sight.

All in all it would be tricky to make it work, but it could lead to some interesting strategies. It might just be easier to give the droids 2d6 Energy Shields and just accept that they're not going to be invulnerable at that size. 1d10 Armor +2d6 Shields is still pretty decent protection at that scale though, so it's not a terrible thing.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:10 pm

but that leads to a cool game mechanic where droids can increase the power and size of their Shields by grouping together.
I'm not exactly following this statement. Would that mean that several droids forming a squad would augment each others' energy shields?
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm

What about going ahead with 5d10 energy shields, but only for attacks more than 5" away? I remember 2001 having energy shields that functioned more or less like that. I guess the power source could be the space taken up by the shield, and if the droid goes somewhere where the shield would be interrupted (into a narrow corridor, for example), then it goes away.

Sylvanus, he's saying that if they stand close enough together (within an inch of each other) their shields "merge" and combine

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
but that leads to a cool game mechanic where droids can increase the power and size of their Shields by grouping together.
I'm not exactly following this statement. Would that mean that several droids forming a squad would augment each others' energy shields?
That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Maybe if you get multiple shield generators within a certain range of each other, each unit's shield total will get multiplied by the number of interlinked shield generators.

I.E.
Three droideka knock-offs get within, say, 3" of each other, and each droid's shield totals are multiplied by 3, giving them each a total of (assuming the original shield total is 1D10) 3D10 shield bonus.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:35 pm

These are all interesting ideas, although @stubby I was thinking that it was just the little box attached to the ship that could provide power for the shields as long as it was on the board. The shields adding up is intriguing, but I only have one hook and glass dome piece, so it probably wouldn't benefit me.

These droideka knock-offs are not designed to be a game breaker, just the perfect anti-infantry gun due to the small infantry Trattoria has compared to other nations. They could only scratch a tank's armor and could be easily taken out by ramming, dropping a heavy object on it, or tipping it over the side.