one ring to rule them all

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Re: one ring to rule them all

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:36 pm

I would love to see more modern sets with raised baseplates. Set-wise, I really want a set that would have Smaug and his treasure hoard in the Misty Mountain, or the Balrog battle in the Mines of Moria. An Oliphant (or Mumak or whatever) would also be welcome. Also, Fell Beast anyone?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:00 pm

I wonder if they're going to release them by movie, or all together. I see that they're releasing The Hobbit stuff in two waves and after LOTR, but will Fellowship be released before Two Towers stuff, or will all LOTR be released at once? This makes a big difference.

If they release all of LOTR at once, there will be far fewer sets. Anyway, here are the sets they will probably be making from each movie (most action-packed/interesting).

Fellowship:
Ring Wraith chase in the Shire/Bree/Watchtower
Mines of Moria
Parth Galen

Two Towers:
Helm's Deep
Warg riders
Attack on Isenguard

Return of the King:
Osgiliath
Paths of the Dead
Shelob
The Black Gate and Mount Doom

Don't know about The Hobbit yet, because it will be based on how much emphasis they put on certain things in the movie.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 am

I'd say weathertop is definitely on there as well, and I would also expect some sort of Rivendell set, because it's so iconic.

This could be awesome, or it could be a destruction of one of the best fantasy lines ever. I'm nervous.

Scarapis
Champion
Champion

Post by Scarapis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 am

enders_shadow wrote:I'd say weathertop is definitely on there as well, and I would also expect some sort of Rivendell set, because it's so iconic.

This could be awesome, or it could be a destruction of one of the best fantasy lines ever. I'm nervous.

I can see it now LEGO in its usual epic failure will have a set like Rivendale, which will have 2 Elves, maybe a Hobbit (frodo) and a stone column and a few bricks for a building.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:16 pm

I expect a Moria set that has the entire dungeon at minifig scale.
Motorized minifigs that are remote controlled with a joystick that walk around and do battle with AI creatures.
Real lava and real bottomless pits.

Scarapis
Champion
Champion

Post by Scarapis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 pm

The problem about doing LEGO sets of LOTR and The Hobbit is there is nothing small about any of the scenes, they are all huge, now I could see LEGO doing a decent Inn of the Prancing penis or maybe even bags end but lets face it anything else will be just a room or such.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:23 pm

@Tzan: You could have a little 'try me!' window for the lava on the box, just how they did it with the light-up lightsaber minifigs (god, that was a horrendous idea).
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:28 pm

enders_shadow wrote:I'd say weathertop is definitely on there as well, and I would also expect some sort of Rivendell set, because it's so iconic.

Yea, that's what I meant by Watchtower. I don't know much LOTR stuff.

Alex
Nice TRIPS

Post by Alex » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
Insert_blank wrote:This. I'm worried the sets won't be big enough. How can they make Helms Deep or Minas Tirith without 1000s if not 10000s or more pieces?
Well they probably will use some molded base plates, which I really wouldn't mind... and possibly sell important bits of each location over multiple sets.
They could possibly do modular wall sections so you could make things as big and epic as you want.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:16 pm

I expect a Moria set that has the entire dungeon at minifig scale.
Motorized minifigs that are remote controlled with a joystick that walk around and do battle with AI creatures.
Real lava and real bottomless pits.
With a Balrog, Cave Drake, and at least one thousand goblins. Such a set would be the priority on my "to get" list, and despite the immense size that would be sure to follow such a set, I would get it. And it would be the epitome of my collection. In case you can't tell, I love the Moria scenes.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Alex wrote:
Whiteagle wrote:Well they probably will use some molded base plates, which I really wouldn't mind... and possibly sell important bits of each location over multiple sets.
They could possibly do modular wall sections so you could make things as big and epic as you want.
Indeed, I think they did something similar with one of the Harry Potter lines, didn't they?

heavyfishcannon
Minifig

Post by heavyfishcannon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:40 pm

If we get a cave troll, and a set with giant spiders in it, I'm good. Also, Oliphant.
"there are no bystanders in the battle for survival. anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush"

Scarapis
Champion
Champion

Post by Scarapis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:17 pm

heavyfishcannon wrote:If we get a cave troll, and a set with giant spiders in it, I'm good. Also, Oliphant.

Yes, Oliphants are a definate must for them to do.

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:03 pm

i wonder how they will handle the battle of the 5 armies

Scarapis
Champion
Champion

Post by Scarapis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:10 pm

RunsWithLegos wrote:i wonder how they will handle the battle of the 5 armies

most likely they will solve this by doing battle packs which can be added to a core set with a very few figs.