Robot Monkey vs. Redshirt: A very Brikwars Skaturnalia

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Robot Monkey vs. Redshirt: A very Brikwars Skaturnalia

Post by Robot Monkey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Despite it being close to Skaturnalia, the RIN was still on watch over the sector of their space in which Brikhed had attacked before. Soon, multiple teleport signatures were detected on an uncolonized world, and the RIN showed up just in time to see Brikhed getting ready to invade!

So it begins...

Brikhed's f*orces.

RIN f*orces, with totally no product placement. :roll:

Brikhed's first turn was entirely movement, so no pictures were taken. However, on the RIN's first turn, shit went down...

To start things off, the RIN Dreadnut took down the Brikmech!

Overwatch, Turn 1.

On Brikhed's second turn, he attacked Ubermensch, but failed to penetrate his armor.

Since he no longer had the brikmech to shoot at, the Panzerfaust trooper chooses to shoot Thog the Ork.

The Dreadnut then kills a mutant.

The RIN "Brawler" MBT (*gasp* a new word buttplug appears!) then shoots Spongebob, fearmonger.

Combined attacks from Ubermensch and the Juggernaut hardsuit then kill Brikhed's host body.

The RIN Chaplain then takes out another mutant.

Brikhed's big trukk then decides to try and ram the Dreadnut, but fails that.

The RIN tank then uses it's front-mounted flamethrower to burninate a rogue DSM.

The Double-bolter turret also kills Brikhed's guitarmutant.

The tank then shoots at the big trukk, but fails to shoot through it's armor.

But then the Dreadnut kills the trukk with it's chaingun. You just can't explain that.

Brikwars.

"Ho, Ho, Ho, Bitches!"
MFS has appeared!

He then drops off two crates of weapons at the Skaturnalia tree, but then drops a turret too to make it a challenge.

MFS then flies off.

Brikhed's head then telekinetically shoots up to the top of the hovercraft,

And he retreats.

RIN VICTORY!
Well, things that won me this battle were that fact that I used actual strategy this time when I was placing my units, and the fact that my Dreadnut took out the Brikmech on the first turn. Also, this was probably the shortest Brikwar I've ever played, since it only lasted three and a half turns, with that last half being Brikhed retreating. It's a shame MFS' presents didn't get used, either. :?

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Re: Robot Monkey vs. Redshirt: A very Brikwars Skaturnalia

Post by Falk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 am

Nice! Cool PF trooper.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

RedShirt
Officer

Post by RedShirt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 am

I was slaughtered once again. I was hoping that the Brikmek would get some more action after last time, but it seems that I am doomed to failure.
*sigh*
Oh well, I'm building a tank for next time.

On an unrelated note, we furthered our Portal 2 co-op campaign progress.
Even though I wanted to strangle RM.
Brik-Hed will rule you all!!!!!!!

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:40 am

I said it the last time and Ill say it again. Redshirt is still in disadvantage towards you. I mean, do you seriously think its fair to have an equal number or poorly armed mutants against the RIN? Either Redshirt builds some more stuff and adds more mutants to Brikhed's horde or there simply wont be a battle, but a massacre we're Redshirt is RIN's test dummy for the new arsenal.

There wasn't even enough dudes to fight over MFS presents, so that was a waste of joyful carnage right there.

Hope Redshirt manages to put up a fight next time.

EDIT: That better be a STD dude!

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:22 am

What, me using Redshirt for a test dummy? Preposterous. :roll:
Also, I suggested Redshirt build a tank or something to at least pose a threat.

@Falk: Thanks! Even though I was kind of sad he didn't get to see much action.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am

Great photos and carnage! The construction of MFS's sleigh was also very classy; well done!

But I think I reiterate some of the others' sympathies for Redshirt! He/she needs a horde of block-bots, handicaps, excellent starting position, a commandeered "RIN" vehicle, making all of your missed shots critical failures (meaning something breaks or blows up) or something to make the battle more interesting. And this might sound blasphemous, but it is sometimes a good idea, too, to "play worse" against disadvantaged opponents for the sake of their own self-confidence (and to keep them from quitting...kinda like what some of my college buddies did when we played SuperSmash brothers. I was awful, so they'd give me some ridiculous handouts so I'd stand a chance and actually play against them, lol). For ideas on how to make newbie/disadvantaged concessions, let me direct you to one of my own battles:

http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p200461

There isn't much commentary in the thread itself, but here are a few things I did that made things "even" for the new guy:
6. I suspended ALL of my tooled out special abilities.
7. I made sure army composition was either flat even or slightly in his favor
8. I applied important rules to myself ("compensating" on my heavy, for instance), but decided to let him skip it since he didn't care)
9. If there is a horse, I always kill it first (meaning his guys last longer)
10. I make my guys available for needless casualties (i.e. I let my commandos exit the APC on the first turn, where they could easily get shot up).
11. I avoided almost all use of area-of-effect attacks, so I was killing him one-at-a-time, but freely let him use arc and explosive fire on me :D
12. (This is the most important) - I shared with him good tactical moves. I constantly gave him advice on which of my units to target first and taught him the value of combined fire.

And the best part is, you can do 75% of these things without your opponent realizing that you aren't playing to "win." Whenever I play against newbies and poor strategists, I try to throw 40% to 50% of my games. This keeps them interested, keeps me with opponents to play against (and snap photos!), and helps teach them to be better gamers so that in the future, you won't have to hold back at all!

P.S. Also, Redshirt, I'm not accusing you of being a newbie either. All of these things apply against opponents with severe tech and CP disadvantages. Best of luck to you, Redshirt, in the future! You'll get him next time!!!

P.P.S. Also, this isn't meant to criticize you, Robot Monkey, either. I'm just offering up some suggestions from my history as a brikwars and regular war-gamer :D

All the best,
Rev.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Ironically enough, Redshirt has known about Brikwars longer than I have. He's the one that got me started! :lol:
All I think he needs to win is better vehicles and a lot more strategy on his part, since I always test new vehicles and weapons on him.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Robot Monkey wrote:Ironically enough, Redshirt has known about Brikwars longer than I have. He's the one that got me started! :lol:
All I think he needs to win is better vehicles and a lot more strategy on his part, since I always test new vehicles and weapons on him.
That is a grand irony! Well all the best to him as he tries to make up the deficit!
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:07 pm

You could always try fielding less units Robo, and see what you can do with what you have.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Well, when it comes right down to the math, we had equal amounts of infantry, we both had one mech each, and he had one more vehicle than me. But, I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to vehicles. I might try less units next time, see if he can at least pose a challenge.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:some awesome things
All of this is great advice. The first couple games I played with my girlfriend and roommates I would always end up having waaay cooler forces and a better handle on the rules, than they did, but since there weren't any alliances I'd just pick on whichever one of them was complaining the least, and the other would assuredly bite me in the ass.

Something about this particular battle that made this such a short game was your terrain. If you're having a battle with lots and lots of ranged attacks, put cover everywhere! sure you had shrubs and trees, but it turned into a killing field for the first team to get within range - it's the first world war all over again. And you don't even necessarily have to build stuff out of LEGO either - you could just pick up all the crap lying around the room and put it in the middle of the field as a set object. Shoes, bottles, cans, empty beers, lamps, cups, playing cards, Jenga pieces and even bongs have made their way onto our battlefield as cover, giving somewhere for outnumbered minifigs to bunker up and strategize on how to take down the rampaging nuclear mechsuit outside.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:01 pm

If RedShirt had that firm a grasp on the rules, he would've did a quick what I say goes and made the shrubs around the battlefield cover.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:14 pm

WHY DO MINIFIGS HAVE PLATES ATTACHED TO THEIR FEET
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:40 pm

pesgores wrote:WHY DO MINIFIGS HAVE PLATES ATTACHED TO THEIR FEET
TO HELP THEM STAND UP

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:46 am

Robot Monkey wrote:
pesgores wrote:WHY DO MINIFIGS HAVE PLATES ATTACHED TO THEIR FEET
TO HELP THEM STAND UP
YOU KNOW THERE'S A NON UGLY WAY OF DOING THAT

IT'S CALLED

USING BASEPLATES
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"