Post-Apoc Vehicles

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Post-Apoc Vehicles

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Have you considered making it a train? lots of colors can look alright if you make a bunch of different colored train cars, and there'd probably be ladders and other grippables all along the sides of the cars for climbing on. a long and narrow vehicle for the motion to be centered around gives lots of space for the pursuing team to move around as well.

heavyfishcannon
Minifig

Post by heavyfishcannon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Just another thought, but how are you going about the survivors? Will they have "themes" to them (like the reapers in my avatar, or the roman guys from fallout) or will they just be gritty survivor types, with little or no coherency?
"there are no bystanders in the battle for survival. anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush"

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Have you considered making it a train? lots of colors can look alright if you make a bunch of different colored train cars, and there'd probably be ladders and other grippables all along the sides of the cars for climbing on. a long and narrow vehicle for the motion to be centered around gives lots of space for the pursuing team to move around as well.
Suggestion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds-zVMVRMGo

Scottsman
Minifig

Post by Scottsman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:27 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Have you considered making it a train? lots of colors can look alright if you make a bunch of different colored train cars, and there'd probably be ladders and other grippables all along the sides of the cars for climbing on. a long and narrow vehicle for the motion to be centered around gives lots of space for the pursuing team to move around as well.
I don't think I'll do that, mainly because an even remotely decent train needs lots of parts I have, and because I've already put plenty of effort into making the current design feasible. I may try it, but it's not looking very likely. I suppose if I did go for a train, it would have to be the kind that does not go on any tracks and just has wheels. Not to mention I have no idea what a good size would be. Maybe I'll try a few things, since it gives me a good way to kill time.

As for unit cohesion, The vehicles probably won't fit much of a theme, but I'll try and make the soldiers and such have a central concept.
EDIT:Tried out a train shape, and while interesting, it would require a complete overhall, going from a mobile base to more of a large, moving platform. It would still make for an interesting setup, but I'm going to have to stew on the idea for a bit. I think I might actually end up going with the train, if only because I could ignore some features one would expect on a base. Stewing on it.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm

LAAAAND TRAAAAAIN

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Kinda depends on how bad your post-apoc world is. The Mad Max series is a pretty good example of three different levels. The first film you can hardly tell some cataclysm has occurred. People still live in houses, there's still electricity everywhere, their clothes aren't that bad, they still deal with money, and the vehicles are just slightly modified.

In Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior things have become more desperate and depraved.... the vehicles, people, and their environment reflect that. Fuel is becoming a scarce, and highly contested, resource. Peoples clothes and vehicles are more ragged and really just made up of whatever is left that still functions.

Mad Max 3 - Beyond the Thunderdome is the next step... Everything is worse... A vehicles base chassis is rarely identifiable. People are wearing more animal skins now... heck even some vehicles have animal skins on them now =P

Here's some great photo examples from the films.... follow the links for each category to get better pictures. Honestly... just watch the damn films; they are epic post-apoc movies =) The first one is great just to get a sense of how and why he became MAD Max.

Road Warrior - http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/madmax2/index.html
Beyond Thunderdome - http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-bey ... index.html

Just how depraved is your post-apoc world? :twisted:

Scottsman
Minifig

Post by Scottsman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Finally decided on making a train. Gonna grab more motorbikes on brick link. Bastards are pretty expensive, but likely worth it. Thankfully I have a big-ass budget this year, yay for capitalism!

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:31 am

yay for capitalism!

Scottsman
Minifig

Post by Scottsman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Status report: I am now working on peaches riding bears. I need to make more cars for the train and get around to breaking down the old design for parts. Will incorporate dino sets and dinos.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:50 am

Status report: I am now working on peaches riding bears.
Will incorporate dino sets and dinos.
:studgod: :belushi:

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 am

I'm totally getting that new Forest Command HQ thing and converting it into a Brikian base, and I'm sure i can make the bear into Calvary somehow.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Alex
Nice TRIPS

Post by Alex » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Scottsman wrote: Need to figure out more ways to get up onto the Double Rainbow, though.

Give the other team a modified assault firetruck that has a ladder and guns on the back.

subyrally
Cannon Fodder

Post by subyrally » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Keldoclock wrote:I'm totally getting that new Forest Command HQ thing and converting it into a Brikian base, and I'm sure i can make the bear into Calvary somehow.

i was looking at that set and having simular thoughts, lol. would make a nice outpost for part of my army.
"Warning: Small children may present a choking hazard when consumed."

heavyfishcannon
Minifig

Post by heavyfishcannon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:16 pm

subyrally wrote:
Keldoclock wrote:I'm totally getting that new Forest Command HQ thing and converting it into a Brikian base, and I'm sure i can make the bear into Calvary somehow.

i was looking at that set and having simular thoughts, lol. would make a nice outpost for part of my army.
:shock: Great minds think alike, then?
"there are no bystanders in the battle for survival. anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush"

Scottsman
Minifig

Post by Scottsman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 am

Anybody who can tell me something special about the hair of the Dothraki gets to control them. They just happen to have bears instead of horses.