Now you can all stop asking about magick

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Now you can all stop asking about magick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 pm

A d12 seems most appropriate for simply being a wizard, and then stack specializations (fire, exploder, or just another die) as you wish.

To be able to make a simple ranged attack, you need one die for range, and another for damage. Dealing 2d4 fire damage is enough to reliably light a minifig on fire. Explosions require either a d10, or another two dice for damage and radius (halved). Summoning/Necromancy needs at least three total (for armor, speed and skill), and arcing shots with a firing radius also require another two dice.

Pick and choose from these ability ideas, as well as any other strategies you think will fit your cliche and be totally sweet, and just slap them on.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks!

I'll have to fight a small battle with my wizard and see how this works out.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:02 am

For my standard mages, they have 5 dice: 2d4, 2d6, 1d10

My "bigger" wizard has 7: 2d4, 2d6, 3d10.

This set up has worked well for me.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Okay, another question. The supernatural dice each add one to the UR of whatever you're trying to do. What happens when a wizard is using his dice to boost the actions of another unit? Say my longbowman is making a shot, and my wizard wants to magically increase the range 1d10 inches. Would the wizard roll a use 1 spell (in effect use 2, because of crit fails), would the longbow's UR increase to 4, or both? And what about multiple wizards trying to effect the same action (or is that even possible)?

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:12 pm

My guess would be that the wizard is the only one who'd have to make the use roll for the magic, since he's the one enchanting the object. However, I'd rule that he has to roll another die to get a range in inches and see if he's even close enough to enchant the longbow - and a fumbled range die might just enchant the enemy black knight's sword!

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm taking out the Use rolls for magic, they didn't hold up in playtesting. Unless you're incorporating a weapon or device in with the magic effect, in which case you still roll the use of the weapon as normal. Magic has enough rolling already (not to mention increasing potential for funny failures with the fumble dice) that it doesn't need Use on top of it.

Also the skill penalty is getting reworded a little bit. A wizard has a -1 skill penalty for every one of his dice not currently in his possession (i.e., he spent it and hasn't gotten it back yet).
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:09 am

Lightning Bolts that hit automatically (albeit with sabotage chances)! Sweet! But would that mean that using magic still counts as an action, even though there is not use roll involved?
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:12 am

I would think so. A wizard shouldn't be able to concentrate on casting a spell when engaged in a swordfight, for example.

I'm going to try some SD pools for my different wizards in an upcoming battle, and I will post them if they seem to work well.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:05 am

As written right now (I know you can't see it yet, but it's there), magick only costs an Action when it's attached to a Use roll somehow. That means you can enchant your sword into a flaming sword on the same turn you're hitting someone with it, although it'll be harder to hit with it because you'll suffer the Skill penalty of -1 per die spent.

It also means you can cast multiple spells in the same turn if you have enough dice to pay for them, which I think is a lot more interesting; if you only get one spell then there's no reason not to blow your entire pile of dice every time, but if you have the option for more then you have to consider whether you want to spend them all or save a few for defensive magick or something.

This may not fit in perfectly with your idea of how casting spells should work, so I imagine people will house-rule for specific cases, or work Action limitations into a character's Supernatural Cliche. But remember that Supernatural Dice aren't just for magick spells, they're a generalized system that's designed to include stuff like Matrix kung-fu or superhero powers or all kinds of other things that you need to be able to do in the same turn as Close Combat.

Predator
Dimmy

Post by Predator » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 am

stubby wrote:Matrix kung-fu or superhero powers
Why not both at the same time?
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)
Get Him!!!! :fist:
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.

Unlimited Overkill
Nice Dubs

Post by Unlimited Overkill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 pm

A few questions.

6. if your damage is 1d4+1d8, it does a firing arc of fire damage, right?

7. If I add 1d8 damage, does that add another firing arc?

8. if I roll 1d8+1d10 damage, does it do a firing arc, or an explosion? (or do I get to choose?)

9. to teleport an object, do roll for range between yourself and the desired object, and then range between the object and the intended destination?

10. to make a shield, you would just roll for armor, right? (unless you wanted it, say, 7" away.)

Thanks!

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 pm

The answer to all of these are yes, except for #8.

1d8+1d10 damage gets a little weird. As far as I can tell, having an explosion centered on every hit target within the firing arc seems to be the right way to go. I could see someone interpreting adding an extra +2" to either side of the firing arc or something equally stupid, but either way the answer is both.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Unlimited Overkill wrote:8. if I roll 1d8+1d10 damage, does it do a firing arc, or an explosion? (or do I get to choose?)
Remember that you're creating an Effect based on your Cliche, not just rolling dice and making up an Effect to match whatever dice you rolled. If you have an Effect in mind that requires d8s and d10s, then you already know whether it gets firing arcs and explosions.

The short answer, though, is that 1d10 explosions are mandatory, but 1d8 firing arcs are optional.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 am

stubby wrote:
Unlimited Overkill wrote:8. if I roll 1d8+1d10 damage, does it do a firing arc, or an explosion? (or do I get to choose?)
Remember that you're creating an Effect based on your Cliche, not just rolling dice and making up an Effect to match whatever dice you rolled.
Let's say my cleric had a bunch of supernatural dice, including d8s and d10s, and in order to smite the group of demons in front of me, I decide to call down the wrath of the gods and roll all the supernatural dice in one great-big attack. That'd be a case of "making up an effect" even though it fits the chliche of "I want to do all the holy damage. Fucking all of it."

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am

Still sounds like a case of "doing it wrong." I'd still ask that clerik to come up with a better description of his effect than "let's see what the dice say" before rolling the dice. Does "ALL OF THE HOLY DAMAGE :all: " mean he's calling down beams of divinity from the sky? Is he channeling kamikaze angels through his holy butthole? Is he spitting sacred incense breath that explodes on contact with demons?

You have to have your story in place, especially when the Fumble dice pop up, because explaining how the butt angel delivery got messed up is way more satisfying than just subtracting 3 from the end damage.

That does bring me to another problem with the current Arc Fire and Area Effect rules - what if I hit a bunch of enemies with the same d6 of Damage, and it only Fumbles on some of them? Do I handle each Fumble separately? I'm leaning towards saying that any dice that are multiplied by an Arc or an Area lose their SuperNatural qualities, because that makes other stuff easier as well (Lasting Effect dice, for instance).