Expanded Roll-To-Dodge

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Expanded Roll-To-Dodge

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Remember ARTD back a while? It got me going, and I made my stubby-worthy ripoff. I intend to launch a playtest game soon, so post if you want in.

EXPANDED ROLL-TO-DODGE

CORE MECHANIC: Roll 1d6, add all relevant modifiers, and use the table below to determine the outcome of the action.

1 or lower-Total Failure: Action is unsuccessful, and something bad happens.
2-Failure: Action is unsuccessful.
3-Meager Success: Action does not go quite as well as hoped.
4-Success: Action completed.
5-Strong Success: Action completed above expectations.
6-Overshot: Action completed so extraordinarily that something bad happens.

A natural 1 always results in total failure, and a natural 6 in an overshot. Unless otherwise noted, all actions other than attacks and damage that result in a natural 6 causes the character to level up (see below).

CHARACTERS: Characters are made from a mixture of three factors; Race, Class, and Customization. Characters have seven basic abilities that are determined by these three factors.

Dodge: A bonus applied to all Dodge rolls.
Armor: A bonus applied to all Armor rolls.
Attack: A bonus applied to all Attack rolls.
Damage: A bonus applied to all Damage rolls.
Initiative: A bonus applied to all Initiative rolls.
Mind: A bonus applied to all rolls for internal mental actions.
Influence: A bonus applied to all attempts to influence other characters.

Statistics are formed by taking the bonus of the three factors and applying them to a character sheet.

Race: Race is chosen by the player, and then chooses the Race Template (see below) that best fits the race, and then applying a Race Quality (Darkvision, Stealth, etc. Essentially these are a species-based skill [see below]).

Race Template: The Race Template is made by the GM by taking 4 ability points and distributing them among the 7 ability scores.

Class: Class is chosen by the player, then (s)he chooses the Class Template (see below) that best fits the character concept.

Class Template: These are made by the GM in the same manner as a Race template.

Customization: The player may add 1 ability point to any ability the player chooses.

Skills: Skills are capabilities beyond the normal, allowing more spectacular actions to be completed. Every level, a character gains a new skill, or may instead gain a cumulative +1 bonus to an existing skill.

HP: HP measures how much damage a character can take before dying. A character begins with 6HP.

Leveling Up: When a character rolls a natural 6 on most rolls, the character levels up. Upon leveling up, a character gains HP, Abilities, and a Skill.

HP Gain: Normally, a character gains 2HP at each level. However, during creation of a Class Template, the GM may decrease HP gain to 1 by taking an extra Ability point for use in creation of the template, or increase HP gain to 3 by removing one Ability point from the template.

Abilities: A character gains a new Ability point at every even level (2, 4, 6, etc.)

Skills: A character gains a new skill or a +1 bonus to a skill already owned at each level.

EQUIPMENT: Equipment is stuff that characters carry around, from weapons to breath mints.

Money: ERTD has no integrated money system, although GMs are encouraged to try whatever they think will work.

Slots: To carry equipment around, characters need to be able to have it on their person. This is what slots are for, measuring what a character can hold. Each item of equipment takes up one slot in a character’s inventory. Most characters start with two; his/her hands. However, most characters will also start out wearing street clothes, which provide a total of five slots for a new character. (Note: some items take up both hand slots when equipped, but only one slot when being carried.)

Weapons: Weapons are very important pieces of equipment, as they allow you to kill those who stand in the way of your adventure. Weapons come in four categories, varying in their modifications to attack and damage:
Level 0 (L0)-Not weapons at all, just improvised items; -1 Atk, -1 Dmg
Level 1 (L1)-Basic weapons; +0 Atk, +0 Dmg
Level 2 (L2)-More accurate weapons; +1 Atk, +0 Dmg
Level 3 (L3)-Weapons of superior quality; +2 Atk, +1 Dmg

Enhancement: Enhancement is any improvement beyond a stock weapon (magic, strong construction, rare materials, etc.) that provides a combat bonus to a weapon. There is no limit to enhancement bonuses beyond what the GM deems acceptable. Every point of enhancement bonus effects either attack or damage, and this is determined the time of the point. This is marked on the weapon listing (see below) in the format of A/D, with A being the attack bonus, and D being the damage bonus.

Listing weapons: Weapons are listed by name (anything within reason/theme), followed by lever, wither it is ranged or melee and enhancement bonus (not listed if weapon has no enhancement.)
Example: Sword L1 M denotes a level 1 melee weapon. Bow L2 R E0/1 means a Level 2 ranged weapon with a +1 damage bonus due to enhancement, giving it statistics of +1 atk, +1 dmg.

Armor: Armor provides armor and/or dodge bonuses equal to its level. Armor can either be worn or carried. Worn armor counts as clothing, and thus dictates the number of slots available, but does not take up a slot, while carried armor only takes up a slot.

Listing armor: Armor is listed my mane, level, worn or carried, and its bonus, listed D/A.
Example: Shield L2 C 1/1 means a carried item of armor that adds 1 to the dodge and armor rolls of the character, respectively.

Other: Literally everything else, with attributes declared by the GM or player in the case of starting equipment (note that starting equipment, and indeed everything else in the game is subject to GM purview.) Some equipment is capable of providing extra slots (such as backpacks), allowing you to carry more equipment.

COMBAT: Combat involves killing people and breaking things, and is at the heart of countless RPGs, of which ERTD is no exception.

Fighting: Fighting opponents requires one to first get into range of your target, and then attack him. A character may move one range and take one major action a turn (see below)

Initiative: Every round, after all players state their character’s intentions, and the GM decides the intentions of all NPCs, initiative is rolled. This is done by rolling 1d6 and adding all relevant modifiers. (Mainly this is any initiative bonus the character has.) Order of play then proceeds from highest to lowest. If two or more characters are running on the same initiative count, their turns take place at the same time. It is entirely possible for two characters to kill each other in the same moment.

Range: Range is a rough distance to one’s target, and is broken into four distances;
Melee: Only melee weapons may be used at this range.
Near: Only ranged weapons may be used at this range.
Far: Only ranged weapons may be used, but they take a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
Away: No weapons may be used at this range.

Actions: Actions are anything other than moving that characters do in their turns.
Major Action: Attacking, using a skill, or disengaging.
Minor Action: Minor actions require negligible amounts of time, or can be accomplished while performing major actions. Things such as talking, dropping things, drawing a weapon, etc, are minor actions.

Attack: Attacks are made by the attacking player rolling 1d6, adding all modifiers, and comparing this to the dodge roll of the defender. If the attack roll is equal to or higher than the defender’s dodge roll, the attack hits.

Damage: Damage is handled by rolling a damage roll for the attacker, and comparing this to the armor roll of the defender, and dealing the difference in damage to the defender. Note that even if the difference is 0 or less, the attack still does 1 point of damage.

Skill: Make a skill roll and compare results to the core mechanic table.

Disengage: Normally, moving out of melee allows the character being moved away from to make a free attack at the disengaging character. However, using one’s major action for the turn allows the character to move out of melee without being so attacked.

Injury: A character reduced to 0 HP is crippled and can only move or take a major action in a round. A character reduced to negative HP is dead. After a battle, all characters still alive instantly recover all lost HP.

CAMPAIGN: It is up to the GM to determine all the specifics of a campaign, although some suggestions can be found below. Good luck!

NPC Class Template: Having only 2 ability points, 1 HP/Level (with 3 HP @ Level 1), and gaining one ability point every three levels (3,6,9, etc.)

NPC Race Template: Receives 2 ability points instead of 4 at creation.

Plug-ins: Plug-ins are any additions made by the GM to the game, from more comprehensive skills to fighter combat. Adding these allows the GM to add a new layer of depth to the campaign.

CHARACTER SHEET:

Name:
Species: Species Template: Species Ability:
Class: Class Template:
Level: HP: /
Dodge:
Armor: Clothes: (+ slots)
Attack: Equipment:
Damage:
Mind:
Influence: Skills:
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Re: Expanded Roll-To-Dodge

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:11 pm

So was that a "Oh no, not more screwing with RTD", or just an insufficient number of pics?

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Looks nice. I just can't spot the differences to RTOD-classic and Advanced RTD right now. If you plan to run an adventure, I'm in. Just don't give up after only one month like most GMs do here.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Fully agreed. This is too awesome to just give up on.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:51 pm

*scrolls through wall of text* Er... alright. Sure. Seems a bit complex for a RTD system- I'm working on one as we speak, so... willing to give it a shot though.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 pm

knolli wrote:Looks nice. I just can't spot the differences to RTOD-classic and Advanced RTD right now. If you plan to run an adventure, I'm in. Just don't give up after only one month like most GMs do here.
seconded. Also, keep this up, cuz this is quite a lot of information.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:30 am

BTW, this still lives.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 am

If you want to start a campaign you have to present the templates you mention in the rules. Otherwise we can't create characters.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes, I did know that, I just wanted to get 3-4 people stating interest before I made the chargen thread, for fear of it dying, but then again, what's one more :rule7: thread. Signup/Chargen/Scenario coming later today.

RagnarokRose

Post by RagnarokRose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Oh this just gets better, I'm going to have a test session for my Advanced RTD rules today as well. *narrowed eyes*
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.