Guided missiles

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Are these good?

yes
17%
no
33%
maybe
50%

Total votes: 12

Lpmikeboy
Champion
Champion

Post by Lpmikeboy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I just allow a re-roll of a failed hit roll if a missile is guided

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:35 am

Now that I think about it, Arkbrik's idea would be the most fun: now only do you have to avoid the missile, it will come after you and chase you. I don't really see a need for skill unless the target evades quickly or has massive ECM (basically, if the missile might lose its lock). I think I'm using this after all in my battle.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

Legofighter
Officer

Re: Guided missiles

Post by Legofighter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:20 pm

IX_Legion Wrote:
(and, on second thought, unless it's fast and wildly evading or has massive ECM you can probably ignore the second roll-there's not much for a tank to do to avoid a missile).
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:30 am

I don't really see much of an advantage to this. Accuracy is pretty unimportant when it comes to explosives, since there's always at least a 2" margin of acceptable error.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:54 pm

IX_Legion, a modified version of your first suggestion is actually a great way to determine "missile lock." Back when I first tried to do rules for these in high school, i figured that the best way to do this would to take a turn for lock on, and on the next turn (and all subsequent turns until another target is acquired) the missile would ignore all movement penalties. But that still felt really dumb to me.

Your method allows for the missile not only to be fired on the same turn, but with a slight tweak, actually incorporates the minifig's skill, since there's no reason a hero with a guided missile launcher shouldn't be strictly awesome with it.

So the way I see it, locking missiles should simply allow for a minifig to roll skill before he makes the shot, and then decide whether or not he actually wants to fire. It still takes an action, but doesn't deal damage or cost a rocket. And that's it! If you make the skill roll, you get missile lock and hit. If you're trying to make a precision shot too, you can keep targeting until you make a high enough skill roll (after bonuses for aiming etc. are applied) to land a precision rocket strike through an air vent on the nuclear fallout bunker. Anything with some kind of ECM blocker could simply add points to the UR from such a weapon. I too stay away from CP, so it's up to someone else to determine costs for this weapon-modifier. I suppose this might also work in futuristic settings with homing bullets or something like that (like the flechette rounds mod in Deus Ex 3) that one could blind-fire around a corner.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:53 am

IVhorseman wrote: So the way I see it, locking missiles should simply allow for a minifig to roll skill before he makes the shot, and then decide whether or not he actually wants to fire. It still takes an action, but doesn't deal damage or cost a rocket.
Simple and genius!
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Porphyrogenitus
Officer
Location: Aurora, Indiana, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:03 am

IVhorseman wrote:So the way I see it, locking missiles should simply allow for a minifig to roll skill before he makes the shot, and then decide whether or not he actually wants to fire. It still takes an action, but doesn't deal damage or cost a rocket. And that's it!
That functionality seems rather similar to Streak missiles in Battletech, which is one of the classic ways of handling "smart" missiles that I've encountered in table-top gaming.

I'd promote combining this with the missile-as-creation plan. What good is a seeking missile if you can't get it to chase you and then have it hit an enemy target 'cause you're just that hot-shot of a pilot?
0 Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine Inheritance. To our Rulers grant victories over the barbarians, and by Thy Cross protect Thine own Estate.