Getting into 40k

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Nitewatchman
Dimmy

Getting into 40k

Post by Nitewatchman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:24 am

That's right. I'm getting into Warhammer 40k. Going with the Chaos Space Marines faction.

Could anyone give me a little advice on this? So far I've picked up about 17 chaos space marines. I understand I need some armor, a commander, and some manner of cavalry. Well, I'm working on a couple rhinos and a terminator lord. I also bought a three-set of space wolf attack bikes, which are barely painted, for fifteen bucks. Think I can repurpose them into chaos space marine attack bikes?

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD that I'm not doing this to get away from Brikwars. In fact, a very knowledgeable gamer fellow I work with said he'd play Brikwars with me and my fellows if I went out and got into 40k so he could pummel me with his blood angels he never uses.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: Getting into 40k

Post by Silverdream » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:46 am

You fool. You foolish fool!
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 am

All the poor wallets! I hear them screaming!

Anyways, the Terminator Lord is a good HQ and so are the bikes for Fast Attack, but you should totally check out their Codex and some armies on the web, to see which type satisfies your gaming style. If there's a GW or hobby store that sells and hosts Warhammer games, you should talk to a veteran.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Silverdream wrote:You fool. You foolish fool!

You should try to keep your forces specialized- have one squad for taking down armor, one that is really good at Assault, etc. Look around on 40k forums and tailor your forces to what you have and what you can get, keeping in mind the "counts as" rule, your wallet, and the armies of your opponents- If few people in your area play Tyranid or IG, don't build forces that are good at mowing down tons of cheap units.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:07 pm

One thing I find useful is making custom special weapons. By that, I mean converting or scratch-building a weapon that looks like it could fulfil as many special weapon options as possible. That way, if you make changes to your army list to gear it toward different targets. "Counts as" rule FTW.

Something I will always recommend is not to focus on just the game or just the models. Buy units that will fit your army, but don't just do a half-assed job on them to get them ready for games. Having a cohesive, well-painted and interesting force will always result in more tabletop fun, as it's always so much more satisfying to watch your amazing minis destroy your opponent's. That being said, don't do all-out conversions on every single soldier, it will just look like a clusterfuck of nothing.

Lastly, PLAN BEFORE BUYING. I know from experience that it can be tempting to buy the newest Ork box when you don't even play Orks, but that will result in lots of wasted money. The exception to this rule is if you have a good army already built up, and want to do some little side projects just for show.

I wish you lots and lots (and lots) of luck.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 am

I never actually played 40k due to the monetary commitment, but I DID read the entire main rule book and the Space Marine codex one time while taking an epic shit.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 pm

aoffan23 wrote:I wish you lots and lots (and lots) of luck.
Like winning-the-lottery type luck. Cause that's the kind you need for 40k.

Nitewatchman
Dimmy

Post by Nitewatchman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:42 am

The guy I'll be playing with is pretty.much a vet. He looked at Chaos and said the Thousand Sons would be a good choice to.go with, as they're super hardy.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:33 pm

If I could ever afford to get into 40k I'd probably go with Necrons, because--let's be honest--fucking space zombies.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 pm

I could never decide between the Tau and the Imperial Guard.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Imperial Guard always looked the coolest to me. Space Marines and Chaos Marines seems to be what everyone plays.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:49 pm

OneEye589 wrote:Imperial Guard always looked the coolest to me. Space Marines and Chaos Marines seems to be what everyone plays.
True, but the same goes for Guard.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

No, everyone plays SPESS MARINEZ.

There aren't too many Eldar, or Tau, but Guard gets about as much love as the 'Nids and Necrons, a little bit less than standard Chaos.

I still think Guard is the best, if only because there are so many different kinds and they all have their own sculpts.

also: tanks tanks lol.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 pm

BFenix wrote:
OneEye589 wrote:Imperial Guard always looked the coolest to me. Space Marines and Chaos Marines seems to be what everyone plays.
FAR less than Space Marines though. Space Marines are the poster boy for 40k and that makes almost every kid coming in want to be these big awesome terminator things.

Don't get me wrong, Space Marines are awesome, but not my thing.

I'm a fan of the everyday person running around with guns fighting against superhumans and aliens. That's my idea of awesome.

If I ever played, I would probably want an army of Imperial Guard with the look of marines from Starship Troopers. Then I would want to always fight against people with custom Tyranids that looked like the bugs from Starship Troopers.

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm

OneEye589 wrote:
BFenix wrote:
FAR less than Space Marines though. Space Marines are the poster boy for 40k and that makes almost every kid coming in want to be these big awesome terminator things.

Don't get me wrong, Space Marines are awesome, but not my thing.

I'm a fan of the everyday person running around with guns fighting against superhumans and aliens. That's my idea of awesome.

If I ever played, I would probably want an army of Imperial Guard with the look of marines from Starship Troopers. Then I would want to always fight against people with custom Tyranids that looked like the bugs from Starship Troopers.
Space Marines in any incarnation are almost never appealing to me, whether in 40k or the Terrans or whatever. Tau and Eldar always piqued my interest though, probably because I loved playing Protoss.