The United Mars Foreign Legion

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

BFenix
Pooplord

Re: The United Mars Foreign Legion

Post by BFenix » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:32 pm

That avatar... are you Darrin Bowers?

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm not, but apparently I share a taste in 80s cartoons with whoever that is! Who is that?
the glyphpress: science fiction games about science and fiction

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I'm not, but apparently I share a taste in 80s cartoons with whoever that is! Who is that?
Oh, not you sorry, I meant zeekhotep.

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:14 pm

I'll bring the pitchforks if you bring the torches!

Kickstarter is really neat. Here's my page for Shock:Human Contact, a roleplaying game I publish. The deal is, you run a campaign for a month (you can do longer but it doesn't help) and, during that time, you offer kickbacks to people who help the project become real. If you raise enough money (determined at the beginning of the project by the creator), everyone gets charged for the amount they pledged and the creator sends them out the stuff they promised.

I haven't settled on the precise kickbacks, but in order from least to greatest, they'll be something like:
  • A PDF of the rulebook, with instructions for building and play, including how to make house rules and settings as well as the Imperial Century setting.
  • A hardcopy of the rulebook
  • Hardcopy with decals — rank insignia, banners, 'NO STEP' and 'DANGER' labels, stuff like that
  • Hardcopy, decals, the Mobile Frame Garage
  • Hardcopy, decals, and a squad of the faction of your choice designed by Soren
This stuff's just a guess. It will depend on a lot of things, some of which are my least favorite things to deal with as a publisher.
Last edited by Joshua A.C. Newman on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:15 pm

BFenix wrote:
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I'm not, but apparently I share a taste in 80s cartoons with whoever that is! Who is that?
Oh, not you sorry, I meant zeekhotep.
I'm also not Zeekhotep. But I wish I'd made that robot.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:52 pm

You will have my support in the Kickstarter, at the very least, along with the support of many others that I would imagine, and I would charge everybody here to throw their hand in as well. A fair number of Aces in the deck, after all... Excuse me while I go work on unit designs based on what you've disclosed so far. Don't forget about Board Game Geek as well, when publishing date comes closer.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I have a couple of fans on BGG and RPGG but crossover guys like you make a huge difference. If I post it's not at all compelling and helps only a little. If you post will do much more to help the project succeed. I posted here because I wanted to show off my cool robots. Here I'm a guy who loves building stuff out of Lego. Over there, I'm just a publisher.

zeekhotep
Champion
Champion

Post by zeekhotep » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm

BFenix wrote:That avatar... are you Darrin Bowers?
Why yes,(blink blink, blush) I am. I also write the Mechaton blog No B.S. Just A.B.S.

I also am so exited about the release of this rule-set, that I'm ready to wet myself!

My avatar is a pic of one of my crusader class mechs. You can see many more shots of them in my brickshelf gallery here.

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 pm

zeekhotep wrote:
Why yes,(blink blink, blush) I am. I also write the Mechaton blog No B.S. Just A.B.S.

I also am so exited about the release of this rule-set, that I'm ready to wet myself!

My avatar is a pic of one of my crusader class mechs. You can see many more shots of them in my brickshelf gallery here.
Oh! Hi! I don't think I'd ever gotten your real name, Darrin!

I hadn't noticed the name before! I guess this is a great time to say how much I love your blog!

zeekhotep
Champion
Champion

Post by zeekhotep » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I'll bring the pitchforks if you bring the torches!

Kickstarter is really neat. Here's my page for Shock:Human Contact, a roleplaying game I publish. The deal is, you run a campaign for a month (you can do longer but it doesn't help) and, during that time, you offer kickbacks to people who help the project become real. If you raise enough money (determined at the beginning of the project by the creator), everyone gets charged for the amount they pledged and the creator sends them out the stuff they promised.

I haven't settled on the precise kickbacks, but in order from least to greatest, they'll be something like:
  • A PDF of the rulebook, with instructions for building and play, including how to make house rules and settings as well as the Imperial Century setting.
  • A hardcopy of the rulebook
  • Hardcopy with decals — rank insignia, banners, 'NO STEP' and 'DANGER' labels, stuff like that
  • Hardcopy, decals, the Mobile Frame Garage
  • Hardcopy, decals, and a squad of the faction of your choice designed by Soren

This stuff's just a guess. It will depend on a lot of things, some of which are my least favorite things to deal with as a publisher.
Here is the link to Soren's Flickr gallery in the context that Joshua intended.

zeekhotep
Champion
Champion

Post by zeekhotep » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:
zeekhotep wrote:

Oh! Hi! I don't think I'd ever gotten your real name, Darrin!

I hadn't noticed the name before! I guess this is a great time to say how much I love your blog!
(double blush) Thank you, I have a great deal of fun writing it. It is easy when you love the subject matter as much as I do. I have been playing this game since 2002 when it was first online. I posted my first pics of Mechaton mechs in 2003. This game got me back into Lego!

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm

How did you happen to show up here just now?

zeekhotep
Champion
Champion

Post by zeekhotep » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:How did you happen to show up here just now?
You linked to my blog in a previous post in this thread, and I just followed it back here.

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 pm

zeekhotep
Champion
Champion

Post by zeekhotep » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 pm

I would love to post on the progress of the MFZ rule-set and/or have an open discussion about the proposed rule changes on my blog if you're into it.