RTS Idea!

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

mgb519
My Little Pony

RTS Idea!

Post by mgb519 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:34 pm

I had an idea for an RTS that I am suddenly trying to make. Here goes:

There are corporations which compete violently for resources on distant planets as interstellar expansion has exhausted nearby resources. The different corporations independently run their own military and govern themselves far beyond the reach of the federation.

The game would be predominantly multiplayer, although it might feature some kind of story at some point in the development process. Instead of just building structures, the players would build a custom base (piece by piece, grid square by grid square, wall by wall, and so on) and then place structures within. They don't have to plan on the go, of course; before the match begins, there would be a period of time for the player to lay out their floor plan in a designated zone of the map. There are three basic tiers of units: colonists, troopers, and elites. There would be different classes for each tier, and different corporations would have different specifics that affected their play style. Resources are not mined directly for use-they're shipped off-planet and converted to funds. By the same token, units and structures would be shipped to the base, along with the different supplies. Different weapons would exist for each class, changing their abilities without changing their role completely. The player would train units by the squad instead of the individual, though, so different weapons wouldn't require excessive micro-managing. Vehicles would have different weapons as well.
The maps would mostly be resource rich, but resources wouldn't be as easy to get to.

Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

BFenix
Pooplord

Re: RTS Idea!

Post by BFenix » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:22 pm

I've seen this theme before. Its latest well-known use was Killzone.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Of course. I felt that the theme facilitated the gameplay I plan to implement.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 pm

mgb519 wrote:Of course. I felt that the theme facilitated the gameplay I plan to implement.
It's just that it doesn't seem to bring anything new or refreshed.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:12 pm

...Ok, so I came up with this as a means to force myself to learn video game design. I still think it has great potential.
By allowing your troops to be re-equipped, it's no longer a case of different play styles. Instead, there are now all kinds of variations. Enemies have better armor? Trade in those SMGs you gave your troopers and give them high damage, high accuracy battle rifles.

Plan your base in advance, and build it how you want. You can also customize squad templates before the match. You don't directly use mined resources. You ship them off planet to your company for funding. You use that funding to order ships loaded with troops, building materials, medical supplies, and so on (I haven't worked out the different used supplies, but there won't be more than 5 so don't worry) and have to make room for them in your base. Attack your enemies' supply ships as a preemptive strike, but be prepared if they try to do the same. Build outposts as you go. Decide whether to destroy your enemies structures, or take them over by breaching the doors and killing all garrisoned troops inside. Spend too much without results, and funding may get reduced. That's me just getting started.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:26 pm

That's all very nice but I'm still to see anything close to a video game from you. How about noting down your ideas so when you actually have the resources and the means to make them come true you already have something to work with?

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:33 pm

I am, actually.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:51 pm

It's not bad, but I think you need a bit more going on compared to other RTS's if you want it to be different. Right now it seems like Stronghold

Right now you have:

Variety of units (or customizable units for a variety of units)
Building bases
Contested resources

The only thing that's different would be units going in and out of the visible area, if I'm understanding correctly.

This would make an interesting game TYPE, but it would pretty much end up being a tower defense game as the enemy set up forces along the path your supplies would be entering/exiting the map for all of the gameplay.

If you can't directly use the resources, then the entirety of the gameplay would be totally focused on the supply ships. If that's what you want, you got it.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:24 am

Yeah...when I suggested that as a tactic, I wasn't really thinking it through. It'd technically be an option, but a very stupid one. Because starting areas would be on the edge of the map, the flight would be relatively short. To do so would require a mass of units, which would mean leaving stuff unprotected. Now, if the player wanted to ship units directly to an outpost, it's a different story. Because maps would be largish, transportation would be key. Supply ships are a free means of transportation, because the units are paid for. They're also the most efficient method, time wise.

Another thing is that it's not strictly centered around destroying the enemy-it's about earning as much as possible while spending as little as possible. By eliminating the other players, the winner earns all remaining resources on the map. Because the resources are readily available, this is the chief way of winning. It's more of a concern when it comes down to a stand-off. Attrition may not serve the player as well as in other games.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 pm

maybe you should stop planning and start coding, you have been at this for months.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:53 pm

No I haven't. I've been at this one for days. My plan is to use this idea to teach myself programming.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

SnakeMittens
Dimmy

Post by SnakeMittens » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

What language are you going to use?

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Java, at the moment. Already started setting up class hierarchy and variables.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

SnakeMittens
Dimmy

Post by SnakeMittens » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 pm

I might be able to help you, then. I know a little Java.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

First thing is to hammer out the class structure. There's a Unit class, a Weapon class, a Faction class, and a Location class. Beyond that, it'll just be copying, pasting, and modifying for individual unit types and such.
Also, current factions:

Unified Interstellar Industries
Strengths: Most balanced arsenal. Excellent heavy vehicles. Can build foundries to create materials for on-site repairs and construction.
Weaknesses: Poor light units. Somewhat mediocre aircraft.

Outland Industrial Works
Strengths: Fast units, especially ground. High damage and accuracy on weapons.
Weaknesses: Lighter armor than other factions. Lacking in automated defensive structures.

Harland-Johnson Incorporated
Strengths: Best overall technology and quality out of all the factions. Can provide autohealer implants for troops.
Weaknesses: More costly units. Slower build and train times.

Phoenix Frontier Company
Strengths: Excellent air capabilities, and great defensive structures.
Weaknesses: Infantry and light ground vehicles somewhat outclassed. Lessened financial gains.

Wyverlund Colonization Front
Strengths: Faster training and construction. Lowered costs.
Weaknesses: Lowered unit and structure quality overall.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.