Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Simple Grappling hooks/jetpacks

Postby RunsWithLegos » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:17 am

btw welcome back aoffan!
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby aoffan23 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:25 am

Well I've been back for a bit now, but thank you nonetheless!
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 am

aoffan23 wrote:I guess we could give the minifig the action anyway; mainly for the greater potential awesomeness

Yeah, that's pretty much my entire argument right there.

Some grappling hooks are one-handed, others are two. Some are withdrawn by cabled winches, others by hand. In either case, a minifig would at least have the option to "sprint" up the rope/chain, no?
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:31 pm

I always just figured grappling hooks were one of the things you can load into a Launcher. Unfortunately this means that a regular minifig-carried launcher (max WS 1", so max PS" 0) wouldn't be strong enough to pull (reverse Launch) the minifig up by itself, so he'd mostly be climbing the rope under his own power. That's all fine, most grappling hooks work that way in real life in any case.

In order to do the Batman-style thing, that's where we need the custom rules, since the Launcher would have to be size 2" to be strong enough to pull the minifig up. I'd definitely force the grapple launch and the rope retraction to be on separate turns though, to give enemies the chance to mess with it.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Do you need spider gymnastix to climb rope at full speed?
IVhorseman

Postby Gungnir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:00 am

What about swinging?
*raises shield*
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Good question. I imagine that you can swing in a standard pendulum motion: if you are 4" away horizontally from the overhead beam you grappled to, then you may swing 4" past it. I'd also just fudge it and let you do a cool swing if you want to do a cool swing, though.
IVhorseman

Postby IX_Legion » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:40 pm

aoffan23 wrote:And if the tug-of-war lasts more than one turn, the hero will let go of the rope and shoot the people on the other side as they hilariously collapse and stagger into each other.

Fixd.

:sparta:
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Postby Voin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 pm

stubby wrote:I always just figured grappling hooks were one of the things you can load into a Launcher. Unfortunately this means that a regular minifig-carried launcher (max WS 1", so max PS" 0) wouldn't be strong enough to pull (reverse Launch) the minifig up by itself, so he'd mostly be climbing the rope under his own power. That's all fine, most grappling hooks work that way in real life in any case.

In order to do the Batman-style thing, that's where we need the custom rules, since the Launcher would have to be size 2" to be strong enough to pull the minifig up. I'd definitely force the grapple launch and the rope retraction to be on separate turns though, to give enemies the chance to mess with it.

[quote="2010 Rulebook]A Launcher can fire a group of one or more Explosives with a combined Explosive Size up to the Launcher's own Weapon Size, or a group of one or more regular objects up to one half the Weapon Size, rounded down (this means that a Size 1 Launcher is limited to either Size 1 Explosives or Size 0 objects like minifig equipment or Vermin).[/quote]

To keep it simple, I would say that a minifig grappling hook (representing something like a Bat-zipline-gadget) would be a Size-0 piece of minifig equipment.
Voin
Cannon Fodder

Previous

Return to The Rulebook