Buying large sets from Bricklink

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Buying large sets from Bricklink

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 am

Is it trustworthy? Or are chances great you'll be ripped off in some other way? I haven't encountered much problems buying loose parts from Bricklink at all, but I think with a set, much more can go wrong. Anyone have experience with it?
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

morganm
Dimmy

Re: Buying large sets from Bricklink

Post by morganm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Was hoping someone with more experience on your question would respond. Similarly I've only bought individual pieces as needed. However I've looked at a lot of sets on there for things like price comparison or deciding if I wanted to spend money on out of production sets or just buy in production sets.

You have to read their descriptions carefully. A lot of those sets come with out minifigs and other rare bits. That to me is a deal breaker and usually why sets are cheaper. Also cheaper sets tend to be missing the box, instructions, damaged box, or otherwise complete but used. To me those aren't deal breakers but they might be important to you.

I would ask sellers for details that may not be disclosed in their Bricklink description. Sure they could just lie to you but I assume most people have good intent and it's about the best verification you can do. If they don't respond at all or provide ambiguous responses then I wouldn't buy from them. Also you can check people's reputation on Bricklink so swindlers will either have bad feedback or very little feed back because they switch accounts often.

Good luck!

Scarapis
Champion
Champion

Post by Scarapis » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:52 pm

check out the feedback, its your best information on a seller.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:29 pm

some of the older sets can actually go down in price form the original cost if they were exceptionally unpopular. Just make sure you find a store with free shiping.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:34 pm

And sometimes the price can be sky-high for no fucking reason.

$100 :wtc:
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:17 am

I have, over time, purchased a large number of the classic castle sets through various sellers on bricklink (6010 supply wagon, 6066 camouflaged outpost, 6054 forestman's hideout, 6103 castle minifigures, 6077 forestman's river fortress, 1680 crusader's cart, 6071 forestmen's crossing, 6081 King's mountain fortress, 6057 sea serpent, 6086 black knight's castle, 6075 wolfpack tower, 6038 wolfpack renegades x2, 6086 black knight's castle, 6020 magic shop, 6084 Majisto's magical workshop, 6076 dark dragon's den, 6036 skeleton surprise, 6078 royal drawbridge, 6090 royal knight's castle, 6024 bandit ambush, 6079 dark forest fortress, 4817 dungeon, and 4819 rebel chariot).I have never had any issues in doing so, it's pretty much the same deal as buying individual parts. I would simply check the description to make sure the seller has everything you want in the set, as many are missing a few pieces, most often the figures, and occasionally don't have instructions. In most cases, you get all the parts tossed in a big bag with the instructions; most sellers don't organize set pieces like they will with individual parts. So I would have to say that it's about as trustworthy as anything else you buy off of the site, which is overall, very trustworthy; at least from my experience.
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.
Marriages Saved: 1

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:37 am

Yeah, I haven't had much problems with Bricklink myself, maybe a few really minor things, I just thought I'd clarify before making a large investment. Thanks for the help! Now to find some of that hard-earned cash...
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 am

What do they mean by 'extra parts included?' The plumes, weapons, shields, etc.?
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:55 am

When it says extra parts, you should check and see if the listing says what the parts are. If it doesn't specify, they could be anything, usually pieces the seller doesn't need and is tossing in along with the set; consider it a free bonus. Alternatively, on rare occasions the seller has kept the extra parts that actually came with the set (you know how when you buy a lego set there are almost always a few extra parts), and is referring to those.
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 am

Oh, now I see. It has 3 extra parts I see, probably some spare pips or grey bricks, which are always good to have. Excited about getting thé set I've always wanted but never thought I'd find right now (Royal Knight's Castle). You know, as a kid I actually saw it in a store and thought 'I'll come back and buy it later', you can guess what happened ;) This even might be exactly the same one 'cos it's a seller from my country...
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 am

Royal Knight's castle is indeed awesome. When I was a kid, most of the Lego I had that I played with the most often were the extreme team series, a good portion of the original ninja sets, the pirates line, and the western series; sadly I never had any of the castle line, though those had always been my favorites. So, when I was older I took the opportunity to begin collecting all the old castle sets I never had as a kid. Be sure to post what you think of the set after you get it!

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 am

Xtreme Pirate Ninjas? Fuck yeah!

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Man, this guy is taking forever to even pack it. I thought I'd have it quickly 'cos I found a seller in my own country. I guess that's normal as well when buying sets? Maybe he just died and I'm doomed to never own Royal Knight's Castle.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?