DOOM roguelike

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: DOOM roguelike

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:56 pm

does a little less damage than the regular shotty, but it has the same cone. The reloading of a new shell for moving is nice too, and means you don't have to take shottyman (although shottyman is significantly better).

You can also upgrade it into the Tactical Shotgun, which is pretty much an AA-12. There's a few unique shotguns that are better (assault shotgun, super shotgun from DOOM 2), but good luck finding them. You also don't even need whizkid to do it, which is totally awesome.

EDIT: oh, and tiles are out now. I'm looking at you, Tzan.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:29 am

Starting a new game in the newest 0.9.9.6 version, now with graphics and mouse usage!

Just cleared out Hell's Arena with 7 HP! Get some, you damn caco's! Got my hands on the Chaingun, Rocket Launcher plus some rockets, blue armor and some power cells. 8)

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:14 pm

marine level 3, Phobos level 7
Using the chaingun with a tech mod.
Haven't died yet, normal difficulty.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:00 am

Bfenix, did you kill The Shambler? After you beat hell's arena you may pull the lever at the end which releases the shambler, a horrible slime thing that shoots some crazy beam! If you beat him though, you get a BUNCH of mod packs!

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:02 am

IVhorseman wrote:Bfenix, did you kill The Shambler? After you beat hell's arena you may pull the lever at the end which releases the shambler, a horrible slime thing that shoots some crazy beam! If you beat him though, you get a BUNCH of mod packs!
Nope, I only tried out Hell's Arena in the new graphical version, and when I beat the level there was no lever, just random drops and some stairs.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 am

hmm, there should be, since there's one in mine...

did you check at the end of the pathway? after all the room filled with armor and the one filled with e cells is a lever you can hit. Levers look a little like medpacks in tiles, which was a bit confusing to me at first.

Also the new title music is fucking awesome.

EDIT: Gyaaaaah, got all the way to hell with a scout shotgun build. Had shottyman, a focused double shotgun, an assault shotgun (bulked out to have ten[!] shots in a clip), and the missile AND napalm launchers. The missile launcher is a rocket launcher with a fat clip and bigger explosions, and the napalm launcher leaves a lava crater. I even got my hands on some Cybernetic armor, which I'd never seen before. Went downstairs into a room with two arch-viles and two revenants. Did you know that arch viles can see farther than you can, and never miss? Needless to say, I became a bloody mess.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:55 pm

So not only did I win, but I got to the secret ending and beat THAT too!

At the end of Hell, in the city of Dis is the Spider Mastermind. Killing him means you end the game and win. However, if you are invincible upon entering Dis, and happen to be carrying around a thermonuclear bomb (I was), you can nuke the level. Doing so blows up all the walls, and reveals a SECRET STAIRCASE.

Before I reveal what was at the bottom of the stairs, let me talk about my loadout: I had gone along the rapid-fire weapons route, and by this point had completely ditched my shotgun and chaingun, and was only using energy weapons and rockets for my missile launcher. In the name of energy weapons, I was carrying around a BFG 9000 (exactly what it sounds like), a Railgun (does 8d8 damage and punches through guys to damage all targets behind them as well), a high-powered nuclear plasma rifle (generates it's own ammo), and a Hyperblaster (high accuraccy and RoF). I also had 420 energy cells, and a staff that let me teleport, so I was ready to face the final evil...

John Carmack! After nuking the mastermind, the next level contains John Carmack, creator of doom. He only (only) has a rocket launcher for himself, but as soon as he takes damage he surrounds himself with barons of hell and revenants and all kinds of horrible things. I wailed on him with the BFG and railgun as much as I could before teleporting to the other side of the map and blasting railgun slugs and rockets on the other side of the room I couldn't see, and eventually one of the rockets happened to catch and kill Carmack in the explosion. FULL VICTORY MOTHERFUCKERS!

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:13 pm

I was talking with some dudes on a hacker IRC and one of them was talking about messing around with trying to make a 3D DoomRL using Doom's graphics.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 pm

I've seen videos of it and it doesn't look half bad. But in that case, just play friggin DOOM.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Nono, turn based! And with the secret ending and all that.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything