Updated armies

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Re: Updated armies

Post by NapalmKing » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:58 pm

If you look at HBO on demand they have things about the places where the show was filmed I haven't found time to watch them but everywhere from Croatia to Iceland was mentioned.
The thing is the books are very closely tied to the British war of the Roses(according to a friend from the UK) so it kinda should look like northern Europe but I definitely wouldn't describe KL as middle eastern.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:11 pm

it was a vague feeling of desertness, my MURICAN mind drew the connections.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 pm

NapalmKing wrote:The thing is the books are very closely tied to the British war of the Roses
Not aiming this at you, but this is something I hear a lot, like I hear people say 'Lotr was based on WW I' as well. I just don't see it.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Idk who your aiming it at I repeated it because she was British and a fan so I figured she would know.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Bragallot wrote:
NapalmKing wrote:The thing is the books are very closely tied to the British war of the Roses
Not aiming this at you, but this is something I hear a lot, like I hear people say 'Lotr was based on WW I' as well. I just don't see it.
I thought it was a metaphor for the WW2 on the Piltogg's side. You have men and aryan super warriors allying to destroy their enemies from the West and East, while fighting jewish corruption(wormtongue).

Plus, everybody knows that George Martin took a bunch of kingdoms from real life and applied them to his universe. Starks=Scots, Dothraki=Mongolians, Lannisters=Roman Empire.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Well, the Lannisters being the Romans doesn't support the whole War Of The Roses thing though. I'd see them more as Englishmen who crossbred (rather than in bread, har har) with the Dutch, really. I mean, I can understand people see certain influences like the War of the Roses or WW I (or II), it just seems to me often people exxagerate this influence. Some guy I know likes to say 'Lotr is wholly based off WW I!' Yeah, WW I had orcs, trolls, castle sieges and magic, of course, how did I forget. And of course Lotre had trenches.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Alex
Nice TRIPS

Post by Alex » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:11 pm

The Goldcloaks in the show honestly look kind of Byzantine to me.

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Huh I rationalized it as lannisters being Roman Northmen being Brits and Wildmen being scots whatev though.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 pm

NapalmKing wrote:Huh I rationalized it as lannisters being Roman Northmen being Brits and Wildmen being scots whatev though.
Yeah, but the North are the GOOD GUYS. I mean, the English invented concentration camps, subjugated China with opium and committed genocide and slavery on a daily basis. Scotland has always been the underdog that does the right(if sometimes misguided) thing.
Image lol j/k

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm

General rule in history nobody is ever the 'goodguys' I meant the statement in terms of organization and culture.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 pm

NapalmKing wrote:General rule in history nobody is ever the 'goodguys' I meant the statement in terms of organization and culture.
Except Poland, Finland, Switzerland and Hungary. Those four countries have always done the right thing.
Image lol j/k

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Piltogg: I won't invade you if you give me money.

Switzerland: Okay.

Piltogg: And by the way, I'm slaughtering Jews.

Switzerland: Not our problem.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:33 am

We should make a GoT general for this thing in Thunderdumb. :rtfm:
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 am

In the case of finland and poland they were too weak to do jack
Switzerland not only was neutral against the nazis but the actually took the gold that was pulled out of dead jews and sold it to allied nations bought war materials and sold it back to germany.
Hungary hasnt done much but they were part of austria hungary who didn't have a great track record.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 am

NapalmKing wrote:In the case of finland and poland they were too weak to do jack
Switzerland not only was neutral against the nazis but the actually took the gold that was pulled out of dead jews and sold it to allied nations bought war materials and sold it back to germany.
Hungary hasnt done much but they were part of austria hungary who didn't have a great track record.
Finland and Poland were too weak? In the case of Finland, I present you the Talvisota, in which they were able to force peace after a brutal war with the USSR where they were outnumbered 3 to one in infantry and thousands to one in tanks and aircraft. There is a case where a Finnish soldier stopped a tank with a crowbar.

As for Poland, they were totally destroyed by the nazis(and the USSR to a lesser extent). But they stood very bravely, and continued to fight. With Zahru. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(soldier_bear)

Hungary has been on the wrong side of every war in the last century. You do have to give them respect for rising up against both the Nazis and the USSR though.
Image lol j/k