Everything I Doooooooo is Arrrrrrrrrr... t

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Everything I Doooooooo is Arrrrrrrrrr... t

Post by Blitzen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 pm

As a university student who is getting a Fine Arts degree, I am in a prime position to do fun things for marks. Most recently, I made this game.

Game is here.

Tell me about my amazing programming skills below.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Re: Everything I Doooooooo is Arrrrrrrrrr... t

Post by RunsWithLegos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 pm

it won't run on my comp but i am sure it rocks.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:42 pm

It requires a Java plugin. I know, that sucks.

It should be able to run. You're just not trying hard enough.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:51 pm

It was a fine game. Could use sound, better graphics, explosions, but those are not important for a small game like that. The only real question I have is, what's the purpose of the distance bar? You have the distance in text right there. The bar seems quite pointless.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:06 am

It's easier to interpret a linear value like distance visually. But... the purpose is really to fill up space. I was going to put an ammo recharge bar there, and have a timer for gun usage, but I didn't get around to it. And I liked the other two bars where they were. So I just made one for distance to fill up the extra space.

I would probably have added sound, but there wasn't enough time. I had about three weeks to do this project. Most of that time was spent studying for my Art History exam, so I really only worked on this from last Monday (April 16) to Thursday. It was due on Friday (April 20).

As for the graphics... I like them. They're not bad, per se. It's just a style you're not used to. I could replace everything with sprites, but I'd honestly rather not.

Upon viewing the games made by my classmates, I have also concluded that explosions would be a valid addition. There was another game where the player dies in a fiery explosion, and I think that element brings a more satisfactory conclusion than mine does. Again, this is somewhere I could add sound. If I ever continue to work on this, definitely something I will consider.

Thanks for playing!

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 am

You could try putting the distance's text in the bar's place. And wasn't complaining about the other three, just suggesting places for improvements. :D

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 am

Eheh, pretty cool little game. I kinda enjoyed it. Not sure if I simply didn't pay enough attention or if the Waypoint arrow was a bit small and unnoticeable. Plenty of room for improvement!
Last edited by BFenix on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Lacked explosions. Much better then the plain little "breakout" game that I wrote in a group of three.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:48 am

Alas, my current POS slapped together in about 12 hours computer's architecture isn't supported by Java, and I cannot run anything more than an outdated version of Flash and browsers, but I also am a burgeoning programmer, and if you liek to amakea the gamez, try this book-

It was basically my introduction to Objective-C, made some cool and basic stuff with it's tutorials(the pinnacle was an accelerometer-based flying spaceship race game) . Hurrah for piracy as means for education!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything