Super Monday Night Combat

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Super Monday Night Combat

Post by Whiteagle » Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 pm

In a dystopian, post (possibility plural) apocalypse future, two teams of slightly cosmetically different clones fight for the entertainment of the masses in this oddball Third-person Tower Defence Real-time Strategy Shooter mash-up.
I'm probably stupid for asking this, but what could possibly be more :belushi: ?

knolli
Dimmy

Re: Super Monday Night Combat

Post by knolli » Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm

To me it looks much like the Onslaught Game Mode in Unreal Tournament 2k4.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu May 03, 2012 2:03 pm

I am so sick of Tower Defense games. The only one that I've found interesting recently was Kingdom Rush because of its humorous nature and new spin on the genre.

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Thu May 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Zupponn wrote:I am so sick of Tower Defense games. The only one that I've found interesting recently was Kingdom Rush because of its humorous nature and new spin on the genre.

It's not tower defense. Whiteagle described it poorly; a more accurate description would be a blend between third person shooter and DOTA style gameplay; however you don't really notice the turrets(having played in the beta) and you concern yourself more with killing other players and the NPC robots.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 pm

It's really more like Team Fortress than anything.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 pm

501stCadians wrote:
Zupponn wrote:I am so sick of Tower Defense games. The only one that I've found interesting recently was Kingdom Rush because of its humorous nature and new spin on the genre.
It's not tower defense. Whiteagle described it poorly; a more accurate description would be a blend between third person shooter and DOTA style gameplay; however you don't really notice the turrets(having played in the beta) and you concern yourself more with killing other players and the NPC robots.
Admittedly, I thought "Tower Defense" applied to anything where you defend an objective from NPC hoards.
And you can kill turrets yourself as long as you know what you are doing, you just need the bots to take their shields down first.
IVhorseman wrote:It's really more like Team Fortress than anything.
I've got to say that, after playing SMNC for a while, this comparison isn't a very good one.

I mean, they are both class based shooters, but other then that the are actually quite different.

In TF2, while the nine classes have their niche in combat, how each plays can vary differently based on what they have equipped.
Team composition isn't as vital to success ether and, in any event that it would be, can easily be altered by players switching classes during a match.

In SMNC, class usage is far stricter due to each "Pro" having set weapons and skills, while equipables only alter stats ("Endorsements") or grant minor special abilities ("Products").
Play style pretty much only varies in how you level your character.
What Pros make up your team is also hugely important, as they fall into certain "Roles" and you can only select your character at the start of a match.
God help you if you end up on a team that's made up of "Commandos" and "Sharpshooters"...

In short, while TF2 is mostly relies on classic shooter elements, SMNC pulls much more from RTS and RPG roots.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Man, does anyone remember TF2 before they gave everyone all the guns? Back when it first came out, every class had one specific set of weapons, and that was it. If you saw a demoman, you knew he would shoot grenades at you over and over again, and not just run up and hit you with some stupid fucking sword.

Because of that, TF2 really meant that your team had to work together to have a balanced setup if you wanted to win, and if you wanted to hit people you just switched to a Scout like a (Jersey) man.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Mon May 07, 2012 12:52 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Man, does anyone remember TF2 before they gave everyone all the guns? Back when it first came out, every class had one specific set of weapons, and that was it. If you saw a demoman, you knew he would shoot grenades at you over and over again, and not just run up and hit you with some stupid fucking sword.

Because of that, TF2 really meant that your team had to work together to have a balanced setup if you wanted to win, and if you wanted to hit people you just switched to a Scout like a (Jersey) man.
Perhaps, but the Orange Box came out what, four years ago?

And yeah, you could still switch classes during a match, while in SMNC you can be screwed over by three idiots going Commando...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon May 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Whiteagle wrote:Perhaps, but the Orange Box came out what, four years ago?
:son:

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 pm

>implying people still play TF2

or any multiplayer shooter at all. they are fucking boring.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Tue May 08, 2012 8:47 am

Zahru II wrote:>implying people still play TF2

or any multiplayer shooter at all. they are fucking boring.

There's like, a few hundred thousand people playing right now. It's still incredibly fun and has a huge community. Saying stuff like that makes you sound like an asshat; multiplayer shooters are incredibly popular and for the most part are pretty fun. Are their bad ones? Of course! But does that mean "nobody" plays them anymore? Of course not.
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue May 08, 2012 12:38 pm

But now it's a completely different game.

Lookatme, i'm a sniper but instead of getting headshots like my whole character is designed around, I run around with a bow and smack people with a jar of piss. Uh oh! looks like that pyro's gonna shoot a harmless blast of air at me!

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Tue May 08, 2012 1:49 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Uh oh! looks like that pyro's gonna shoot a harmless blast of air at me!
And then you get blown backwards off of a cliff.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 pm

BACK TO THE ACTUAL TOPIC:
I've played a little bit of this game before and it's pretty good. I wish it was on PSN though.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Tue May 08, 2012 8:44 pm

IVhorseman wrote:But now it's a completely different game.

Lookatme, i'm a sniper but instead of getting headshots like my whole character is designed around, I run around with a bow and smack people with a jar of piss. Uh oh! looks like that pyro's gonna shoot a harmless blast of air at me!

I'll agree with this. I personally use the classic Pyro loadout, just with strange weapons that count my kills.