Diablo III

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Diablo III

Post by stubby » Sat May 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Tzan wrote:If I based every purchase on what craziness some evil corporation did or didn't do, I would be naked and homeless.
Now you see the advantages of my plan!
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Oh yea, that was dumb of me. Whatever. I'm not in college anymore. I can be as dumb as I want.
I could easily name up to five counterexamples. People who would play if they had the chance but can't because "their internet" is too slow or they have none at all for whatever reason. Loss on both ends, I'd say.
It's not a loss for Blizzard. Sure, they may be losing some customers, but they aren't losing money off of people pirating the game and playing it offline, which is what they're most concerned with. Whether or not you guys buy it, there's still going to be more than enough people buying it because of the online play to make up for it. They wouldn't have made it multiplayer-only if they didn't think they'd make money off of it.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat May 26, 2012 8:10 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Hell, even Starcraft II had an offline single player mode.
This. If the internet or the servers are down for whatever reason, then you cannot play, which irritates gamers. And there's the loss of control thing now. If Blizzard decides to say, "Hey, we can make these fools pay to play like WOW" then all of a sudden that game that you bought can no longer be played. Every game should have offline single player because:
6. Gamers are antisocial.
7. Reduces single player lag.
8. Gamers can play on THEIR terms and not the environments'.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:26 am

Zupponn wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:Hell, even Starcraft II had an offline single player mode.
This. If the internet or the servers are down for whatever reason, then you cannot play, which irritates gamers. And there's the loss of control thing now. If Blizzard decides to say, "Hey, we can make these fools pay to play like WOW" then all of a sudden that game that you bought can no longer be played. Every game should have offline single player because:
6. Gamers are antisocial.
7. Reduces single player lag.
8. Gamers can play on THEIR terms and not the environments'.
I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T have single player. I'm just saying they're totally justified in making it the way they did. They made money off of it, and that was the goal. They have no other goal than to make money and to continue making money.

If Diablo III was a total flop and Blizzard lost tons of money on it, then I would agree with you. However, I'm sure even if they charged a subscription fee like WoW, they still would have made money. Blizzard only cares about what guarantees them money, and they did just that.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun May 27, 2012 2:33 am

OneEye589 wrote:I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T have single player. I'm just saying they're totally justified in making it the way they did. They made money off of it, and that was the goal. They have no other goal than to make money and to continue making money.

If Diablo III was a total flop and Blizzard lost tons of money on it, then I would agree with you. However, I'm sure even if they charged a subscription fee like WoW, they still would have made money. Blizzard only cares about what guarantees them money, and they did just that.
And that's the problem. Money is their first and only goal, whatever the cost. I assume you have seen enough sci-si-movies to know where that will end?
Unlike LEGO-Company who terminated a perfectly running game and forwent a great deal of money just because they freared it might contradict their business ethics.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Sun May 27, 2012 11:19 am

RANT

Blizzard made a name for itself being different from the big bad companies. Now they are the big bad company.

/RANT

So, I plan to not buy Diablo 3 in favor of Torchlight 2. Won't make Diablo 3 any less of a success, although it makes it insignificantly less of a long-term money-maker for Blizzard. Vote with your wallet. =/
It's a secret to everybody.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sun May 27, 2012 11:50 am

I voted with my wallet once.
I jammed it into the voting machine.
Then I had to buy a new wallet and sit on the floor at the DMV for 2.5 hours to get a new drivers license.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun May 27, 2012 11:54 am

knolli wrote:
OneEye589 wrote:I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T have single player. I'm just saying they're totally justified in making it the way they did. They made money off of it, and that was the goal. They have no other goal than to make money and to continue making money.

And that's the problem. Money is their first and only goal, whatever the cost. I assume you have seen enough sci-si-movies to know where that will end?
Unlike LEGO-Company who terminated a perfectly running game and forwent a great deal of money just because they freared it might contradict their business ethics.
Yes, I know. But you need to realize it's not a problem for them. They made their name for not being that, but now that everyone loves them, they can do whatever the hell they want.

They could shut down all the servers and drop everything and have money in their pockets. They owe nothing to gamers at all.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun May 27, 2012 3:13 pm

You don't need to tell me. Actually it's the other way round: That I know that is the sole reason I went on this rant. I know I alone don't have the power to change anything and Blizzard will get (and maybe even earn) their money and will never care about anything I, you or any other player has to say. And they will become more and more cheekily in the ways they can press money from us and to protect their copy rights (which in the end also results in getting more money from us).
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Sun May 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Tzan wrote:I voted with my wallet once.
Then I had to buy a new wallet and sit on the floor at the DMV for 2.5 hours to get a new drivers license.
Lately, Tzan has had the some of the best comments on the forum. :lol:

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Sun May 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Zupponn wrote:
Tzan has always had the best comments on the forum. :lol:
Fixes
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm

That's not how you go about bribery!
Here, read this book:

stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

kiemaster
Cannon Fodder

Post by kiemaster » Sun May 27, 2012 7:10 pm

ERROR 37

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sun May 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Error 32105

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Ugly surprise for me when I logged on yesterday..... Yeah, sign up for the authenticator....