LotR Sets Released!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Re: LotR Sets Released!

Post by NapalmKing » Fri May 25, 2012 5:42 pm

I really like the urukai I am hoping for an orthanc set but the urukai army packs look pretty nice.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.

The Black Rabbit
Champion
Champion

Post by The Black Rabbit » Sat May 26, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm too much of a cheap ass to pay for the LOTR Sets at full price. I'm probably just going to wait until they go on sale at london drugs or the people at zellars damage another box.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat May 26, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm not sure how much I like the sets. They almost lack some flavor to me.

The Black Rabbit
Champion
Champion

Post by The Black Rabbit » Sat May 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Zupponn wrote:I'm not sure how much I like the sets. They almost lack some flavor to me.
What do you mean by flavour?
Other than gandalf arrives and the orc forge they all look really dreary and lifeless which in some cases isn't a bad thing but too much gets boring.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Sat May 26, 2012 8:23 pm

The Black Rabbit wrote:
Zupponn wrote:I'm not sure how much I like the sets. They almost lack some flavor to me.
What do you mean by flavour?
Other than gandalf arrives and the orc forge they all look really dreary and lifeless which in some cases isn't a bad thing but too much gets boring.
Flavor:
You see this? This is a Lego set. It is meant to be played with and kids are supposed to enjoy it.

Lack of Flavor:
Now you see this? This is a model, created for people to display and fanboys to buy.

When I say flavor, I mean something that drives the imagination. The ability to let kids use their imagination to create stories and battles that are wacky and bounce off the wall. There are only so many ways you can fight the battle of Helm's Deep, but there's an infinite number of things you can do with the pirate set. There also is a certain charm that the pirate set has that the Helm's Deep one lacks.

Still, I'm not saying that the LOTR sets are not cool, I'm just saying that they feel dull to me.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:06 pm

1) "Charm" is completely subjective.
2) The only thing limiting one's imagination is their lack of imagination.
3) Just because it's from a movie, doesn't mean you have to follow the plot of the movie. This is the current castle line, so parents might get it for their kids because they're castle sets. You don't have to have seen the movies/read the books to enjoy the sets.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sat May 26, 2012 9:50 pm

aoffan23 wrote:6) "Charm" is completely subjective.
7) The only thing limiting one's imagination is their lack of imagination.
8) Just because it's from a movie, doesn't mean you have to follow the plot of the movie. This is the current castle line, so parents might get it for their kids because they're castle sets. You don't have to have seen the movies/read the books to enjoy the sets.
Fix'd.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat May 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Besides, it's a lego set, so you can build shit on top of it. Who knows how the battle of Helm's Deep would have gone if they had point-defense lasers and lots of mortars? Maybe Gandalf shows up and the Uruks are already reduced to scattered and smoldering limbs, so he just lights his pipe and says "Damn."

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Sat May 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Okay, but I will say that whenever my friends had castles, they never played with them and just displayed them, whereas if they got something like the pirate set, then it saw lots of play. I would use myself as an example, but I never got any castles. :silver:

The Black Rabbit
Champion
Champion

Post by The Black Rabbit » Sat May 26, 2012 11:20 pm

I agree with you Zupponn but it isn't fair to use pirates as an example. Classic pirate sets have always been the most fun to play with as they had a sense of adventure, battle, and hilarity. I do not like to say it but AFOLs are part of the reason for sets lacking flavour. The sets need to be detailed enough to cater to AFOLs but also playable and fun for younger kids. In the end, not everyone can be happy.
I looked at a review for helms deep, it does seem to have many nooks, and crannies to it so other than the grey facade it looks rather fun.

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 am

Flavor or no flavor, they have some pretty sweet bits and pieces. My girlfriend bought me the Shelob set (as well as Risk Legacy) for my birthday. I won't lie--I'm looking forward to sticking Lego Smeagol in a giant steampunk exoskeleton and have him get revenge on those pesky hobbits for leaving him to the flames.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:24 am

jmatthew wrote:Flavor or no flavor, they have some pretty sweet bits and pieces. My girlfriend bought me the Shelob set (as well as Risk Legacy) for my birthday. I won't lie--I'm looking forward to sticking Lego Smeagol in a giant steampunk exoskeleton and have him get revenge on those pesky hobbits for leaving him to the flames.
:ftw:

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Picked up the Shelob set, too. They actually managed to make her look freaky, which is tough for an animal made out of Lego. Also, it comes with THREE rings. Yes, they give you two extras. Yes please.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:26 pm

aoffan23 wrote:Picked up the Shelob set, too. They actually managed to make her look freaky, which is tough for an animal made out of Lego. Also, it comes with THREE rings. Yes, they give you two extras. Yes please.
Ah, so you've found the Elves rings then?

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Rings? But minifigs don't have fingers!