LotR Sets Released!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

darkpaladin
Officer

Re: LotR Sets Released!

Post by darkpaladin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Zupponn wrote:Rings? But minifigs don't have fingers!
Lego made them kinda like armbands

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:08 am

Zupponn wrote:Now you see this? This is a model, created for people to display and fanboys to buy.

When I say flavor, I mean something that drives the imagination. The ability to let kids use their imagination to create stories and battles that are wacky and bounce off the wall. There are only so many ways you can fight the battle of Helm's Deep, but there's an infinite number of things you can do with the pirate set. There also is a certain charm that the pirate set has that the Helm's Deep one lacks.

Still, I'm not saying that the LOTR sets are not cool, I'm just saying that they feel dull to me.
I just saw a neat time-lapse of the Helm's Deep build, you can get a pretty precise idea of what kinds of nooks and crannies it does or doesn't have. Looks like it's got a bomb attack, a dwarf launcher, some kind of dwarf horn thing (?), a nice siege ladder, and a HIDDEN SKULL which as far as I can tell serves no real purpose other than to BE A SKULL.

LOTR Battle of Helm's Deep Animated Lego Review 9474

Edit: holy crap, I can embed videos now
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 pm

and a HIDDEN SKULL which as far as I can tell serves no real purpose other than to BE A SKULL.
That's the bestest feature ever.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 pm

stubby wrote:
Zupponn wrote:Now you see this? This is a model, created for people to display and fanboys to buy.

When I say flavor, I mean something that drives the imagination. The ability to let kids use their imagination to create stories and battles that are wacky and bounce off the wall. There are only so many ways you can fight the battle of Helm's Deep, but there's an infinite number of things you can do with the pirate set. There also is a certain charm that the pirate set has that the Helm's Deep one lacks.

Still, I'm not saying that the LOTR sets are not cool, I'm just saying that they feel dull to me.
I just saw a neat time-lapse of the Helm's Deep build, you can get a pretty precise idea of what kinds of nooks and crannies it does or doesn't have. Looks like it's got a bomb attack, a dwarf launcher, some kind of dwarf horn thing (?), a nice siege ladder, and a HIDDEN SKULL which as far as I can tell serves no real purpose other than to BE A SKULL.
OK, that makes the set look so much cooler than the box showed. Still, I think the lack of color might be what's putting me off. For some reason it just doesn't feel as much like a LEGO set to me than, say, something like the new Monster line.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that pirate set looks a d a p p e r pride parade at the fisherman's wharf? That set looks like ass. Now Forbidden Island; that was sweet pirate set! Your friend's didn't play with their castles because they were lame not because of how the set was designed. I played the shit out of my Black Falcon's Fortress, Black Seas Barracuda, Forbidden Island, and all of my sets. They weren't models they were toys. Even as an adult they aren't models to me; my kids and I love building things, using them to fight, and tearing them apart in glorious battle. The longest anything is built and left on display is until the next BrikWar... or we need parts for something else :warhead:

Can't play with the Helm's Deep set? Dude there's shit flying through the air, bad guys climbing siege ladders, a huge bomb in the drain, and all kinds of action going on. Looks like an action packed set to me.

I agree with duder saying the only limitation is your imagination.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm

stubby wrote:Edit: holy crap, I can embed videos now
I can't. :(

darkpaladin
Officer

Post by darkpaladin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 pm

morganm wrote:Can't play with the Helm's Deep set? Dude there's shit flying through the air, bad guys climbing siege ladders, a huge bomb in the drain, and all kinds of action going on. Looks like an action packed set to me.

I agree with duder saying the only limitation is your imagination.
i'm thinking this would make an epic :belushi: game

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:46 am

Stubby wrote:and a HIDDEN SKULL which as far as I can tell serves no real purpose other than to BE A SKULL.

That is awesome.

I certainly want to get these sets, for the Uruks. I love the shields, but i'm not a fan of the swords. The helmets are fucking awesome, however.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:05 pm

501stCadians wrote:
Stubby wrote:and a HIDDEN SKULL which as far as I can tell serves no real purpose other than to BE A SKULL.

That is awesome.

I certainly want to get these sets, for the Uruks. I love the shields, but i'm not a fan of the swords. The helmets are fucking awesome, however.
The swords are much better IRL. For brikwars they count as heavy weapons. Honestly though, I do believe that the newer pointed ones are better; I think Lego should make more of them.

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:41 pm

When I told my girlfriend how much money I was going to spend on these she told me it's such a shame I'm not a dad. As if I'd let a bunch of nasty kids touch my Lego!

I really can't wait to get my hands on these and start adding onto Helms Deep and making it bigger and cooler. I also want to do something with Balin's Tomb. Probably need to wait until September though when I go home though...

Anyone else going to make a hobbit army?
Just Monika

darkpaladin
Officer

Post by darkpaladin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Insert_blank wrote: Anyone else going to make a hobbit army?
IDEA THIEF!

Semaj Nagirrac
Cannon Fodder

Post by Semaj Nagirrac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Picked up the Uruk-Hai Army set a few days ago. Six minifigs and a ton of weapons is not bad in a single set. As soon as I put it together I began ripping the arms and torsos off the orcs and Rohirrim and began mixing them with my other minifigs. I've had some pretty cool combinations so far. These sets have a lot of potential and I like how LEGO is only going to release a few at a time. I think we'll have a couple more years of LOTR sets which is great because I never got any castle sets as a kid and I've always liked fantasy more than sci-fi or any other genre.
Zupponn wrote:Where the hell did Semaj come from?

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am

darkpaladin wrote:
IDEA THIEF!
Yup. I just finished reading Return of the King last night and I want to recreate the Battle of Bywater. I have this plan to try to make a bunch of mini-factions using LoTR sets and some of the Kingdoms stuff I have and give each side a castle or something and let them battle it out. Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, Skeletons, Orcs, Lion and Dragon knights, Vampires, Wizards, etc.
Just Monika

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:31 am

My fantasy forces are mainly restricted to skeletons, lion and dragon knights, with a few Fright Knights and Knights Kindom I from my younger days thrown in.

darkpaladin
Officer

Post by darkpaladin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am

Insert_blank wrote:
darkpaladin wrote:
IDEA THIEF!
Yup. I just finished reading Return of the King last night and I want to recreate the Battle of Bywater. I have this plan to try to make a bunch of mini-factions using LoTR sets and some of the Kingdoms stuff I have and give each side a castle or something and let them battle it out. Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, Skeletons, Orcs, Lion and Dragon knights, Vampires, Wizards, etc.
i always wanted to recreate the whole freeing of the shire by taking the shire map and using it as a campaign map

and if i got enough pieces do that with the whole middle earth map