Ghost stats

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

IX_Legion
Minifig

Ghost stats

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:09 pm

This is somewhat based on the 2001 ghost rules (i.e. the rules for being incorporeal). I found that those rules sucked, because ghosts really couldn't do anything. So, I made up my own stats.

Ghost (?CP)
Skill: 1d6
Move: 8"
Armor: 1d10
Specialties:
Incorporeal: This unit is not affected by corporeal objects or creations, nor may it effect them by normal means. Only other incorporeal weapons or specialized magic may damage or influence this creature in any way. The creature may move through obstacles, and may become invisible (kind of like a scout).
Terrifying: Once per turn, this creature may attempt to affect the mind of one normal (or inferior) minifig within 3" by rolling 1d6
1-The target gains +1 to all skill rolls in its next turn, and the ghost must reveal its location (if hidden).
2 or 3-No effect.
4 or 5-The target discards any items that inflict a movement penalty and runs at maximum sprinting speed from the ghost for 1d4 turns.
6-The ghost may either take the above effect or possess the target, causing the ghost to be removed until the target dies and allowing the ghost player to move and attack with the possessed unit with its full capabilities (including the ghost's Supernatural Dice).
The ghost has 2d6 Supernatural dice with the "poltergeist" cliche (adding to range of thrown objects, subtracting from enemy move or skill, etc). These CAN be used on corporeal objects.

So, what do you think?
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Re: Ghost stats

Post by Pwnerade » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Can it call in nukes?
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Do ghosts usually call in nukes?

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:19 pm

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:48 pm

If it's incorporeal, how does it take damage? I get that magical attacks and other incorporeal stuff could do it, but I feel that regular figs should at least be able to attempt to hurt it. What if it worked like armor, but without the movement penalty?

IDK how many of you played Dark Souls, but that has some pretty terrifying yet manageable ghosts in it. Basically, they'd be able to deal damage and grab you, but nothing of yours (including weapons, shields, and armor) would work against them - in other words, they could choose to become corporeal against specific objects to hurt them. Like your rules, you needed either magical weapons to damage them, or to invoke a temporary curse on yourself to become incorporeal as well. In Brikwars terms, they'd either need help from supernatural abilities, or specialized items - these won't be in every game, but of course neither will ghosts. Maybe figs could spend a full-round action to attune themselves to a particular ghost and then be able to fight it?

Having the terrifying ability *and* two supernatural dice might be a lot to keep track of - does the terrifying thing take an action? Or is there any way to cover possession with the supernatural dice (roll dice vs. skill to attempt or something i dunno)?

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 pm

I say that they can turn incorporeal, but doing so means they can't attack. They can either turn incorporeal at the start of the turn or expose themselves to attack.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:24 pm

But then at what point do they start and stop having physical bodies? Is it just for the duration of an attack, or for an entire turn, or what?

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:25 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Having the terrifying ability *and* two supernatural dice might be a lot to keep track of - does the terrifying thing take an action? Or is there any way to cover possession with the supernatural dice (roll dice vs. skill to attempt or something i dunno)?
Yes, the terrify ability uses the ghost's action (should have said this). As far as I know, SD won't do possession.

I was going for something that had to find a way specifically to do damage, not just another type of unit that's exactly like a normal minifig except (blank). I mean, in 99.9% of ghost stories, the ghost can't directly hurt you, and you can't hurt it without some kind of supernatural stuff. These haven't been playtested at all, I was just fiddling around with how I could make a ghost-like ghost, and I had the idea to throw SD in. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Besides, I got some silver ammo clips from BrickArms to scatter around the battlefield whenever there were werewolves, you could do something similar when there are ghosts on the field.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:15 pm

IVhorseman wrote:But then at what point do they start and stop having physical bodies? Is it just for the duration of an attack, or for an entire turn, or what?
I thought that was exactly the concern I was addressing, but I'll clarify for you:
In any given turn, the ghost is either corporeal or incorporeal. If he turns corporeal, he cannot change his mind until his next turn comes around.
Alternately, just make them wholly incorporeal and apply supernatural dice vs skill in the manner you mentioned.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Old D&D favorite- ghost touch weapons, can be bought at start of game or a magic unit can give a die to Enchant a weapon this way.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Okay, I think I've got it. That all makes a lot of sense, and there seem to be quite a few ways of dealing with ghosts. I like it!

Xenoman
Nice Dubs

Post by Xenoman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Dude... I'm gonna try this out next game if possible!

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Let me know how it goes!

-Valkyrie (the movie)