The Crimson Crusader

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

The Crimson Crusader

Post by Ben-Jammin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:11 pm

The Calvarians have decided to start building mecha:

The Crimson Crusader is the first in a line of experimental mech designs being fielded by the Calvarians. After seeing how the Kuragin Republic had managed to match them in many fields, the Calvarian scientists knew it was time to create a new weapon, one which could shatter entire enemy lines and scatter their forces single-handedly. Numerous designs were proposed, and although many were built, none of them could match the power and ossumness of the Crimson Crusader, a titanic new mech design that managed to eliminate an entire column of Typhoon-class tanks on its own in a test run.

Here the Crimson Crusader can be seen next to a Typhoon tank. Even the largest Calvarian tanks are dwarfed by the mech's size and armament. The Crusader's weapon loadout is designed primarily for neutralizing the largest and deadliest opposition, but that doesn't mean it can't step on smaller things.

The Crusader's right arm carries a 120mm HVG identical to that found on the Typhoon-class tank. a massive drum of ammunition is mounted on the bottom of the arm, while a targeting device is mounted above the gun for pin-point accuracy.

Being an experimental design, the Calvarians decided to go ahead and load some experimental weapons on the Crusader as well. The Crusader's left arm carries an experimental plasma caster that can be used to drench armored vehicles in super-heated plasma. On the side of this weapon is another: a massive ORANGE TRANSPARENT energy blade that can slice through even buildings with ease.

On top of the mech's torso is a powerful sensor unit, as well as a pair of dreaded Mk. VII "Flamberge" class anti-SHIP missiles. A single one has enough range to pass into space, and enough firepower to bring down even large frigates (or an entire city block).

Here is the inside of the head, where the pilot and gunner sit. It is well-armored, but also quite exposed. A large blue viewscreen recieves data from the mech's scanner and projects a holographic view of the battlefield. If that fails, the crewmen can simply look out of the narrow viewports.

And here's a shot of the interior, showing the nuclear fusion reactor that powers the craft. An engineer mus remain in here at all times to ensure that the reactor is stable and that the weapons are functioning properly. If the gunner is killed, the engineer can also operate the weapons from here, although he can only use one at a time. Great care must be taken to ensure that the reactor remains undamaged. Even though the Crusader has thick armor, a single mishap could cause the reactor to meltdown and cause a tremendous explosion. In a worst case scenario, it can also be used as a self-destruct mechanism.

Alright, hope you guys like the first real mech design I've made for my factions. It's based heavily off of the Reaver titan from Forge World for Warhammer 40k, in case you couldn't tell already. I actually made another version several years ago, but its legs were so thin and fragile that it could hardly stand up, let alone move. This one, although shorter, is much more flexible and heavily armored.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: The Crimson Crusader

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:33 pm

And it has a single connection point at the leg and hip - just one good shot against what I'm guessing would be 2 or 3d10 armor could bring your titan crashing down. Looks like you can fix it if you just put a couple extra plates around the joint though - after that someone would have to plant explosives on the hip for the same effect, and at that point they probably deserve it.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm guessing concentrated fire on the back of the mech could blow a hole that would give most units a clear line of sight at the reactor? good mech, btw.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

IVhorseman wrote:And it has a single connection point at the leg and hip - just one good shot against what I'm guessing would be 2 or 3d10 armor could bring your titan crashing down. Looks like you can fix it if you just put a couple extra plates around the joint though - after that someone would have to plant explosives on the hip for the same effect, and at that point they probably deserve it.
Well, I did want to add extra plates and probably will. Regardless, the mech's armor rating is too high for most conventional minifig weapons to damage it, and a vehicle such as a tank would have a very difficult time targeting such a small spot, made even harder when the Crusader itself is firing back with weapons that can kill said tank in one shot. I did manage to cover up a large part of the knee joints and still retain some posability. The worst part will be the feet. The joints down there will be a lot harder to cover up and still be able to move very well.
samuelzz10 wrote:I'm guessing concentrated fire on the back of the mech could blow a hole that would give most units a clear line of sight at the reactor? good mech, btw.
Unlike the rest of the mech, the back armor plating is much thicker. You'd need several anti-tank like weapons to even come close to penetrating the armor. I know it sounds like it is almost indestructable (save for the aforemented joint problems), but the Calvarians do have only one.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Epic mecha is EPIC!!!

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Whiteagle wrote:Epic mecha is EPIC!!!
Thanks! Hopefully it will get to see some combat action soon.

Thesson
Cannon Fodder

Post by Thesson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm REALLY glad that's not in MoO79.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:The worst part will be the feet. The joints down there will be a lot harder to cover up and still be able to move very well.
Yeah, but that might be manageable. Losing a foot means it could still arguably hobble around on the stump - sure it takes a movement penalty, but at least it's still upright. Losing the entire leg means it's gonna come crashing down.

Of course, even if this thing lost BOTH legs, it's arms look mobile enough to keep laying down fire where at least most of it needs to go.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:The worst part will be the feet. The joints down there will be a lot harder to cover up and still be able to move very well.
Yeah, but that might be manageable. Losing a foot means it could still arguably hobble around on the stump - sure it takes a movement penalty, but at least it's still upright. Losing the entire leg means it's gonna come crashing down.

Of course, even if this thing lost BOTH legs, it's arms look mobile enough to keep laying down fire where at least most of it needs to go.
Yeah, the arms are very poseable. They can even angle to shoot directly above the mech despite those massive shoulder pads. The cannon arm does have some slight difficulty though due to the targeting device on top of the gun; I'll probably need to change that too.