1997 Viking Simulator- The MMO!

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

1997 Viking Simulator- The MMO!

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11 am

Effortpost begin (feel free to only skim this):

Our village of Briksborough is suffering from a severe lack of activity, so I figured I'd explain the game and our own immediate goals.

Haven and Hearth is a PvP game, with absolutely no restrictions and permadeath, so people will take every chance to steal & murder anyone, especially those too weak to protect themselves (like us).  To this end, 

Goal #1 - FINISH THE PALISADE YOU LAZY BASTARDS

Palisades offer a very basic measure of security, protecting us from other noobs (although experienced players with their absurdly high Strength scores can basically tear them down at will.
)
Completing the palisade requires Yeomanry ( probably the most important skill in the game, it allows you to claim and own land, costs 4000 Learning Points and should be grabbed ASAP by everyone. I'd finish the wall myself, but its a shitload of work for one person and my experienced character got mauled by a bear.

Eventually we'll have to build a brick wall, which will be truly safe, but a palisade will give us enough security to undertake real work in earnest.

Next in importance is the building of the infrastructure needed to make warriors out of noobs! Due to the way stats work in this game, we have to raise our abilities slowly and evenly ( the game uses your highest stat to determine how much you have to eat to raise them, so it's best to raise them all at once.) For this, we need to manufacture food in boneriffic quantities. Once the wall's up, feel free to do any/all of these things:

Build houses: There is currently a house & a cabin being built for storage of various industries- the (already built) Farming Storage (for seeds n'shit), the Industrial Storage (for metalworking and ceramics), and a cabin for clothmaking and silkworms. Once we've got those up, we can start on a personal cabin for everyoneand an Inn (I'll live on the second floor of the inn and run a brewery in the basement to keep you awash in free booze).

Foraging: Requires a high Explore skill and Perception stat, this is pretty easy, you basically wander around and pick flowers, if you're doing this on purpose as opposed to while traveling for whatever reason, go ahead and  grab a boat to speed things up. The higher your PER * Explore, the more and better you can gather.

Chantrelles and Blueberries are trade goods, so collect them (and whoever keeps eating them, stop)

Hunting: The main source of such essential items as leather and meat, different animals are hunted differently: rats, rabbits, and chickens you just sneak up to and grab, foxes/deer/aurochs(wild cows)/mouflon(wild sheep) are fenced up and slung to death (you have to get deer one at a time as they heal each other, and fence the whole herd of cows or sheep because they'll all attack you.) Boars and bears will not only attack you for no reason, they'll tear through fences. Hunt them only from the water. If you're hunting with a sling, have at least 15 Marksmanship. 

Rabbit meat and leather are trade goods. 

Fishing: make a pole from branches, add a string, make a hook from a bone (or some metal if you want to be an ass) and add either  bait or a lure, get in a boat and go fishing!

Hunting, Fishing and Foraging should all be done at the same time.

As for things that have to be done inside the walls, I can handle the farming on my own, but need someone with max Industry to do mining, metallurgy, and ceramic crafts.

We'll slowly build up our manufacturing ability, buy metal, find metal, produce weapons and armor, and go raid other villages for fun and profit.

To Join:
Go to http://www.havenandhearth.com/ , register, and make a new character. When you do, you'll be in a room with 3 characters, a pool, and a ball of light. The ball is you! Right click on Cuthulu to choose gender, get starting gear from the chest, choose a name at the germany lady, and talk to the telescope guy and give him "keldoclock". Stairs will appear leading you to a point in Briksbourough.

This game's EXP is called Learning Points, and you get them in two ways- Discovering an item ( i.e. having it appear in your inventory, not just taking it from a container/the ground) for the first time( test this by unequipping your starter gear and digging sand in the starter room. The other way is through Studying Curiosities. These are found, or crafted.

The first thing you should do is run around gathering sticks stones apples etc for points, Crafting everything you can, and running east to the pine forest and amassing some Cone Cows, your first Curiosity. With the points you get, learn Foraging, Hunting, Lumberjacking, and Carpentry. Congrats, you are now basically a functioning member of our Viking village!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

morganm
Dimmy

Re: 1997 Viking Simulator- The MMO!

Post by morganm » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:05 am

This actually looks kinda interesting! Next time I have an hour or two to waste I'll check it out.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 am

morganm wrote:This actually looks kinda interesting! Next time I have an hour or two to waste I'll check it out.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

OREMAWESOME1234
Cannon Fodder

Post by OREMAWESOME1234 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 am

Logging in now. Will Arrive at camp shortly.

EDIT: I have arrived.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:20 pm

First victim of the Brik:

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Keldoclock wrote: and talk to the telescope guy and give him "keldoclock". Stairs will appear leading you to a point in Briksbourough.
"No Hearth Secret with this name does exist."
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:58 pm

use "mgb"
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 am

OK I've logged in and doing stuff.

Is it just me or is this thing kinda slow? Half the time I go to walk somewhere and he just walks in place for 10 seconds before moving. If I select Adventure > Dig > click somewhere an hour glass appears for 30 sec.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah, it has lag spikes aplenty.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:27 pm

There's two developers and they are mostly focused on making a game for Paradox Interactive atm, there is a deep-seated i/o problem caused by new hardware that Loftar has been working at for a while. The game will get much more attention when the devs finish Salem (fall-ish)

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:51 am

You said to go out into the forest gather apples, sticks, etc....
1) How do you get out side the compound?
2) How do you gather apples? I right click on an apple tree and it does nothing. I looked under Adventure > and tried those commands and didn't do anything.

I have a backpack full of crappy dirt and worms... because all I could do was dig =)

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 pm

To exit, ask me(either while I'm online or using Facebook to pester me) and I will open the door (I know, bullshit, we can make it much easier when we have a village idol up[to do this i need at least five regularly active players including me, as well as a dead deer and bear] )

Your apple tree problem is caused by the trees being picked clean by virtue of being in our village.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Perhaps we can give ourselves into specific role (it helps that the in-game village structure already exists for this)

I will be the Lawspeaker, I will ensure the village's upkeep and existence, as well as appoint the other roles. (I also will manage the village's farms, including tree farms)

We need a Cheiftan, someone with the free time to be around often and do things like hunt and fish and forage and find new sites for us to pillage.

We also need two Hird, elite guards that the Chieftain can summon at any time , these guys will get all the shiniest military gear first.

Everyone else can help either with our Industry by gathering clay and metal, or hunt, fish, and forage.

The more active you are, the more fun this game gets.

Our most immediate goal is to

1. Kill A Bear
We must find a bear, bring a hunter with ~20 marksmanship and our best sling to it, and help him defeat the bear. When it's done, we can get Bear Teeth for our idol, a bear cape, lots of STR-raising bear meats, and a handful of other nice things.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Gathered a bunch of stuff and threw them in containers... mulberries, clay, seedlings, apples, etc.

Added some boughs to that building in progress.

It seems like neat game and I bet I'd like it if I spent more time on it. However this lag is just unplayable and I can't stand it anymore. Let me know when they fix it and I'll give it another shot.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:15 pm

morganm wrote: Let me know when they fix it and I'll give it another shot.

Okay, I have been dancing away from this conclusion myself over the past weeks and now that I am no longer hampered by a broken arm and can play other videogames, I think this is the best course of action:

We are abandoning this game until the next update. This will probably be in the late fall or winter of 2012.

I will start a new topic than.