Above hero units unit

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Above hero units unit

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:55 am

I have tried to find stats for truly powerful units, ones that go beyond the strength of all others, like the hulk, or a god, mainly as a ground for all other strong units so you can slightly adjust the stats to suit the unit. For example, here is what I think is appropriate for warhead:

WARHEAD: CP: if one team has one, all other teams have an "Above awesome" unit.
Skill: 1d12+1
Move: 8"
Armor: 3d12, 3hp

Abilities:
flame resistant:
Warhead cannot be harmed by flames.

Mom shagger:
all moms in a 15" radius join his team instantly

Warhead feats:
Warhead can perform 2 warhead like feats.
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby Thesson » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 am

Image
Image
User avatar
Thesson
Dimmy
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby Arkbrik » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 am

See, this is what Supernatural dice are for. They allow for all sorts of weird powers. And are supposed to be the only way minifigs can get access to d12s.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
User avatar
Arkbrik
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 am

I still use the Champion stats from Brikwars 2001 every now and again. Pretty powerful too.
User avatar
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm
Location: Not quite the middle of Appalachia

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:I still use the Champion stats from Brikwars 2001 every now and again. Pretty powerful too.


Well with three feats, it ought to be! Yeah, for me this is where I typically prefer a wizard-type character with a buttload of SD dice and the multitask specialization from the 2005 rules. Two custom spells a turn, usually without the abysmal fail-baggage of not succeeding a feat.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
User avatar
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 pm
Location: Appalachia

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 am

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:I still use the Champion stats from Brikwars 2001 every now and again. Pretty powerful too.


Well with three feats, it ought to be! Yeah, for me this is where I typically prefer a wizard-type character with a buttload of SD dice and the multitask specialization from the 2005 rules. Two custom spells a turn, usually without the abysmal fail-baggage of not succeeding a feat.
I do sometimes use a champion, but they are becoming more and more obsolete and unused, and I know that rules in brikwars mean nothing, but stubby has said that he wont be including champions in 2010 because it makes heros worthless, so with a above awesome unit, it is all out instead of very strong, as in these guys are on a completely different level. And on wizards, I never mess around with spells to much, because if you play with sp from the 2001 rules you need paper on the side and you need to track it and it is just a hassle.
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am

Good thing the new supernatural rules don't ask you to keep track of shit, then. Try them out! You'll like them.

Here's the other problem with champions - have you ever played a game of brikwars against someone with even one hero and a champion? That's four heroic feats, which is four rules-free attempts at massive battlefield disruptions every goddamn turn. I know that sounds like it'd be really really cool, but it's actually quite boring - feats get uninspired and lame as a result. For feats to matter, there need only be one per turn.

Here's another tip: 1d12 skill is actually worse than 1d10 - it's unpredictable, and you roll crits way less often. Even 2d6 is better than 1d12.

Now I don't think that there ISN'T room for a unit better than a hero - but they should still only be limited to a single heroic feat, and a more reliable die than a d12. 1d10 is already enough to do just about anything you want to anyways.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6625
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:18 am

IVhorseman wrote:Good thing the new supernatural rules don't ask you to keep track of shit, then. Try them out! You'll like them.

Here's the other problem with champions - have you ever played a game of brikwars against someone with even one hero and a champion? That's four heroic feats, which is four rules-free attempts at massive battlefield disruptions every goddamn turn. I know that sounds like it'd be really really cool, but it's actually quite boring - feats get uninspired and lame as a result. For feats to matter, there need only be one per turn.

Here's another tip: 1d12 skill is actually worse than 1d10 - it's unpredictable, and you roll crits way less often. Even 2d6 is better than 1d12.

Now I don't think that there ISN'T room for a unit better than a hero - but they should still only be limited to a single heroic feat, and a more reliable die than a d12. 1d10 is already enough to do just about anything you want to anyways.

Thanks, this is the criticism i have been looking for! But about feats, me and my friends rarely use feats, due to consequences. but I can see your point, and I will post a card later of warhead with modified stats. and I have never used the new supernatural rules, and I have now, and they are great.
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby mgb519 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Whenever I roll 2d6 I seem to get at least one of the dice as 5 or 6, regardless. 2d6 is the most dangerous from where I stand.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.


That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
User avatar
mgb519
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:50 pm
Location: ATL

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby Keldoclock » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Roll a d100 for your most powerful units.
:troll:
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby Tzan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 pm

But that would be worse than a 1d10 - too unpredictable.

Image
User avatar
Tzan
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5090
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:35 pm

1d10 averages out to rolling 6
2d6 averages out to rolling 8 or 9

And yes, these are including bonus dice. remember that the more dice you're rolling, the more likely you are to crit.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6625
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby stubby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:27 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Here's another tip: 1d12 skill is actually worse than 1d10 - it's unpredictable, and you roll crits way less often.

But you roll crit-fails way less often too. The official averages are here:

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2010/mc.htm#2

I'm thinking of adding a rule to let high-skill units downgrade their skill for Risky Attacks - if you really need an Overskill Die to overcome Armor, there are situations where it can be better to roll Skill at 1d6 rather than 1d10.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5050
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:29 pm

don't you only crit fail if ALL the dice you rolled are 1 up? on 2d6 that's only snake eyes (1:36 odds) while crit successes are on any 6 (1:6 odds).

stubby wrote:I'm thinking of adding a rule to let high-skill units downgrade their skill for Risky Attacks - if you really need an Overskill Die to overcome Armor, there are situations where it can be better to roll Skill at 1d6 rather than 1d10.


This is such a good idea that I'm gonna playtest it right away. I see no reason why a unit couldn't voluntarily be less skillful - it's not like a d4 can crit anyways. Do you retain the lowered skill for a full turn, or just for the attack?
Last edited by IVhorseman on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6625
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Above hero units unit

Postby stubby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:30 pm

IVhorseman wrote:don't you only crit fail if ALL the dice you rolled are 1 up? on 2d6 that's only snake eyes (1:36 odds) while crit successes are on any 6 (1:6 odds).

Oh, I read that wrong somehow. I'm going to go up and edit your post so that I don't look like an idiot.

The real answer is that Skill is always only one die, no modifiers. You can't have 2d6 Skill, because of the 1:36 odds, among other things.

I keep forgetting the rest of you guys don't have Chapter 10 yet.

IVhorseman wrote:
stubby wrote:I'm thinking of adding a rule to let high-skill units downgrade their skill for Risky Attacks - if you really need an Overskill Die to overcome Armor, there are situations where it can be better to roll Skill at 1d6 rather than 1d10.

This is such a good idea that I'm gonna playtest it right away. I see no reason why a unit couldn't voluntarily be less skillful - it's not like a d4 can crit anyways. Do you retain the lowered skill for a full turn, or just for the attack?

I want to spin it so that you're not making yourself clumsy somehow, you're just trying some fancy showoff move that has a higher chance of either succeeding or failing spectacularly. So the d6 Skill would only apply to that one maneuver, and but your overall Skill wouldn't be affected otherwise.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5050
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Next

Return to Bonus Material

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest