BrikWars Swedish National Championship

You know, whatever

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Re: BrikWars Swedish National Championship

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Colette wrote:Warning: Long angry rant, spoilered not to ruin the thread.

Spoiler: show
I don't like them because they give to me, the impression that I don't even stand a chance against armored units. One die is just automatically removed, and I don't like that idea.

One of the charming things about the old ruleset was that I could do such stupid but funny things like have a group of spearman gang up on a tank. It gave factions of all time periods and genres a chance to fight on an equal footing- yes, it was unrealistic, but if I wanted a realistic game I could just play Warhammer 40k.

Now, I have to bring in tank and dreadnuts just to reliably kill an armored minifig, dakka better spent on actual dreadnuts and tanks- most minifigs don't even get to attack the armored minifig. And even if one minifig does manage to Overskill, probably one dude in a squad, what's the guarantee his Overskill die will kill the armored unit? 

And what recourse is there for medieval battles, where armor is much more common? They might have the occasional size 2 ballista or catapult, but normal castlemen (ie not wizards and heros) can do almost nothing against mounted knights,. By the time they roll enough Overskill die, the armored units will have killed them all.

This can all be avoided, of course, by avoiding or disabling them, by the rulebook's suggestion. Seriously, stub hawk? Where's the violence or destruction in that? I play brikwars to kill and blow crap up, not play cult and mouse and knock him over for a turn when he catches up.

I rest my case- of course it's your ruleset so I have no right to coerce you to do something you don't want. Besides, the ultimate solution to the armored question in any case are What I Say Goes and heroic feats.

The ultimate solution to every situation in brikwars is a heroic feat. I would also like to point out that you failed answer the original question...whether you had tired them or not. I was skeptical until I played about 5 games with the rules. After that, they seemed fine. And I'm talking solely from a medieval perspective. I think you seriously underestimate the resources a medieval army has to combat armor. These include monsters/titans with high damage, ANYTHING that charges (like mounted knights, spearmen, or halberdeers), war machines, weapons that ignore armor (like Brag's corrupt cavalry), wizards, d12's (if stubby still plans to have d12's bypass armor). Medieval battles can be more than just blocks of minifigs running at each other...in fact, a good medieval general will make sure his or her army is diversified enough to overcome the puzzle of armored units.

Me, that's why I love the new armor rules. It adds a puzzle and strategic element that - for me - had been lacking in some brikwar battles.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Re: BrikWars Swedish National Championship

Postby Colette » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
Colette wrote:Warning: Long angry rant, spoilered not to ruin the thread.

Spoiler: show
I don't like them because they give to me, the impression that I don't even stand a chance against armored units. One die is just automatically removed, and I don't like that idea.

One of the charming things about the old ruleset was that I could do such stupid but funny things like have a group of spearman gang up on a tank. It gave factions of all time periods and genres a chance to fight on an equal footing- yes, it was unrealistic, but if I wanted a realistic game I could just play Warhammer 40k.

Now, I have to bring in tank and dreadnuts just to reliably kill an armored minifig, dakka better spent on actual dreadnuts and tanks- most minifigs don't even get to attack the armored minifig. And even if one minifig does manage to Overskill, probably one dude in a squad, what's the guarantee his Overskill die will kill the armored unit? 

And what recourse is there for medieval battles, where armor is much more common? They might have the occasional size 2 ballista or catapult, but normal castlemen (ie not wizards and heros) can do almost nothing against mounted knights,. By the time they roll enough Overskill die, the armored units will have killed them all.

This can all be avoided, of course, by avoiding or disabling them, by the rulebook's suggestion. Seriously, stub hawk? Where's the violence or destruction in that? I play brikwars to kill and blow crap up, not play cult and mouse and knock him over for a turn when he catches up.

I rest my case- of course it's your ruleset so I have no right to coerce you to do something you don't want. Besides, the ultimate solution to the armored question in any case are What I Say Goes and heroic feats.

The ultimate solution to every situation in brikwars is a heroic feat. I would also like to point out that you failed answer the original question...whether you had tired them or not. I was skeptical until I played about 5 games with the rules. After that, they seemed fine. And I'm talking solely from a medieval perspective. I think you seriously underestimate the resources a medieval army has to combat armor. These include monsters/titans with high damage, ANYTHING that charges (like mounted knights, spearmen, or halberdeers), war machines, weapons that ignore armor (like Brag's corrupt cavalry), wizards, d12's (if stubby still plans to have d12's bypass armor). Medieval battles can be more than just blocks of minifigs running at each other...in fact, a good medieval general will make sure his or her army is diversified enough to overcome the puzzle of armored units.

Me, that's why I love the new armor rules. It adds a puzzle and strategic element that - for me - had been lacking in some brikwar battles.

I in fact did play test them after I posted that.

Solution: OTCs.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Previous

Return to General Discussion