Clone Brands

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Your opinion?

IDGAF
17%
LEGO MUST RULE SUPREME!!! ALL CLOANS ARE BLASPHEMY!
23%
Lego is always better. Always.
33%
Lego is USUALLY better.
19%
Meh, it's all the same to me.
2%
I prefer the clone brands because they're just as good and cheaper.
No votes
Lego sucks. It's all marketed toward little kids these days.
No votes
I HATE LEGO! THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!1!!!1 I LEIK MY BEST_LOCK!
No votes
I can't afford lego, so I depend on clone brands for brix.
No votes
I like their new ideas, but I would prefer it if Lego had them.
6%
I like their new ideas, so I buy them regularly.
No votes

Total votes: 48

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Re: Clone Brands

Post by RunsWithLegos » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Buy what ever you deem necessary to further the Grand Goal [i.e to play brikwars] what ever the brand may be, as long as it builds, you can use it.

that is my motto

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:07 am

I too have begun to notice a slight increase in cloan brand quality, especially in mega bloks. For instance, I had some of the original Dragons mega bloks sets, as well as the (pretty cool) Vorgan Ice Fang. Back then, they were pretty crappy, the briks always wanted to fall off and they just wouldn't stay together. It eventually got so bad that I just stopped buying mega bloks except for the sets that had exclusively dragons. Recently however my brother has gotten some of the halo mega bloks and they honestly aren't that bad.

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:14 am

My uncle bought me some of the original Megablok Dragon sets maybe... 10 or 12 years ago or so? I remember being so happy because it came with like 20 figs. 10 of the silver and gold knights each and a big castle. My brother and I played with the set <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> but at some point the castle was taken apart and is somewhere in my basement. I still have the minifigs and they're mostly all together but they can't really hold any of the weapons very well and the legs/hips always sag and they can't stand up anymore.
Before I really got into Lego again I almost bought some of the Halo ones because they were cheap and you could get a lot of figures. I have heard the quality is much better now than in the past. If the Starcraft sets turn out sweet I may get some just to have zerglings and zealots and marines.
Just Monika

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:52 am

Without cloan brands, we would have one less excuse to wage genocidal wars against them.

heavyfishcannon
Minifig

Post by heavyfishcannon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:08 am

I used to buy a lot of megablox as a kid. While Lego was in a rut of boring themes, Megablox was pushing dragon sets! Considering I learned to read so I could understand my dad's 1st edition monster manual, dragons where the best things to have! Then I got older, tried to have a nostalgia trip, and cut myself on a piece of jutting metal wire from one of my beloved dragons (How much does that say for quality control?) after that, I took a look at the Lego website and saw all the cool things they had blossomed into ( :666: vikings! Nuff said!) I returned to the straight and narrow. Sometimes though, I do wage wars of genocide against my megablox.
"there are no bystanders in the battle for survival. anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush"

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:24 am

Megabloks is hit and miss for me; while I mostly dislike their stuff, there are some products which I find very pleasing in a way or another, eg: this fabulous motherfucker:

I'll always pick up this type of dragon if I saw it in a toystore, I have like 3 now. I'm also having high hopes about their Warcraft-licenced sets. Hopefully it won't be tits.

My experiences with other, lesser-known clone brik brands were abysmal though; hollow, cheap plastic with weird pale-ish colours. Some even had an odd stench. I avoid them like plague.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:45 am

While I may be a cheap SoB I still demand quality. I don't mind spending money on something I know (or at least believe =) is going to last. I'm a bit of a purist for two main reasons.

- Knock off brands are crappy quality. Now all I have to go on is other peoples experience since I've never actually used them myself but LOTS of people (not just on these forums) complain about them.

- They really aren't any cheaper. Maybe its just where I see them for sale? In the major retail stores I see them disgracing the same isle as the Legos and I do walk buy.... look at the sets... look at the prices. Nothing has compelled me to even try them based on the sets I see and the prices they want. I can spend the same amount of money and get something I KNOW I'll like.

Honestly if you are patient, vigilant, and aren't too picky you can get Legos for a fair price and even occasionally a great deal.

Ex_Bajir
Officer

Post by Ex_Bajir » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:55 pm

meh
The Ex-Bajir, the last Commander of the Legio Mortis.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:16 am

I have quite a bit of knights, as I was into the megabloks dragon line for a while, but they are quite flimsy. They make nice hordes though for my medieval armies to battle, and I must say, the orcs do look cool, even if they do have trouble standing up.

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Post by CADmonkey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:26 pm

I have purchased these:

I should have no trouble finding opponents, I can't imagine a Brikwarrior who would pass up the chance to slaughter megabloks hello kitties.

omegabob
Champion
Champion

Post by omegabob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I picked up one of the Mega Bloks World of Warcraft sets (the one with the tower and battle wagon thing) the other day and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. Not only was the tower made up of a nice combination of bricks with sharp and rounded edges but the light colored bricks had a nice marbleized pattern to them. Just to test it and see, I stacked some of the Mega Bloks bricks up mixed with Lego bricks and both brands held to each other just as well as Lego to Lego bricks do. It's true that Mega Bloks used to be the "poor man's" Legos but from what I have seen so far, those days have past and brick wise they seem to be just as good. As far as the minifigs go, there will always be a special place in my heart for Lego minifigs as I've grown up with them from Yellow Castle on but the increase articulation of the Mega Bloks minifigs (at least the Warcraft and Halo ones) and the less blocky look of them puts them a little over Lego in my book.
I'm sure there will be some that think I'm crazy (and that's fine if they want to think that) but in my opinion from hands on use, Mega Bloks has stepped up their game and is releasing quality products (at least with the World of Warcraft line). While I'm not going to totally abandon Lego (as long as they make Lord of the Rings and Castle sets) but I can see more of my hobby budget going to Mega Bloks (at least while they have World of Warcraft).

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I will, under duress, admit that I have a Character Buildling Dalek and a MegaBlox Iron Man figure. But Iron Man stays well away from my LEGO.

The Dalek has been menacing my Galaxy Patrol force lately though.

Zahru II

Post by Zahru II » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 pm

I will get my hands on some Kreo in the near future. I'll let you know whether I like them or not. I've already come up with a nickname for their minifigs (kreons) - Kretins. What do you think? Yay or nay?
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:52 pm

My stance on these infidel clones may be unexpected, it lets itself be defined most clearly as:

Last edited by Bragallot on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Except that EVERYONE on here is EXPECTED to hate clone brands. Or so it seems...