Dwarf Fortress Discussion

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Re: Dwarf Fortress Discussion

Postby knolli » Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Dwarf Fortress: Makes you kick the dog, shoot the dog and before you notice you have passed the Moral Event Horizon!
Order now and you will get this Trope Co catalogue for Evil Overlords for free!

PS: Beware! Use of the links at your own risk. I just spent the last couple of hours on the first page I linked to.
Animals can become pregnant even if the males and females are kept physically separated. Dwarves presumably use the same mechanics for determining pregnancy.This has led to the widely-accepted theory that creatures in the game reproduce via spores.

Hilarious! But now I have to pull an all-nighter to finish that report in time.....
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby muffinman42 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:31 am

Bay12forums are the ones that came up with the Spore theory, and it IS widely accepted.
Also page on Boat Murdered, THE succession fort: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Boatmurdered
The Dwarf Fort page on TVtropes is amazing BUT;
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/C ... rfFortress
Is better.

Affably Evil: The Dwarf Fortress player community is quite welcoming and helpful to new players, showering them with links to tutorials for the nigh-incomprehensible interface and helping them troubleshoot newbie mistakes and dwarven intelligence. They're also infamous for pushing Video Game Cruelty Potential to new and exciting extremes for the sake of convenience, lulz, and the dwarven way.

The Spartan Way: Dwarven "Child Care": "it's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care."

And they sum up the dwarven way quiet well:
Dwarf Fortress fans are the kind of people to reject a simple, practical solution to a problem on account of it needing more magma.

Though I prefer:
The simple solution is to make it bigger. The Complex solution is to make it more efficient. The Dwarven one is to do both and use it to kill something.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 pm

For my first time seriously playing DF, I had built a fort in a mountain with a volcano and tons of minerals, and things were going great. I had managed to survive (mostly on fish- I had run out of food months earlier, and only had 2 outdoor farms) to the point where I had 23 dwarves and the first caravan arrived. As my dwarves were loading marble and copper nuggets (my only valuable commodity, which I was hoping to exchange for food and booze) to the trade depot, one of the immigrants ( a useless Clothier) went insane from Starvation+sleeping on the floor + no booze and murdered 4 children and a turkey before he was killed by a very quickly built militia. I abandoned the fort. This was about 3 minutes ago.

:cry: Fuck you Urist McClothier, I would have had your beer if you gave me like two minutes for the damn broker to reach the depot.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Keldoclock » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm currently embarking into a Terrifying Biome- All of my dwarves took a point in Ambusher for the free crossbows, I also brought a bunch of extra wood so I can immediately build a roof over my wagon when I start.

I begin the tale of HorrorJewel (the name generator is awesome)!

EDIT: Every time I embark DF crashes Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Keldoclock wrote:For my first time seriously playing DF, I had built a fort in a mountain with a volcano and tons of minerals, and things were going great. I had managed to survive (mostly on fish- I had run out of food months earlier, and only had 2 outdoor farms) to the point where I had 23 dwarves and the first caravan arrived. As my dwarves were loading marble and copper nuggets (my only valuable commodity, which I was hoping to exchange for food and booze) to the trade depot, one of the immigrants ( a useless Clothier) went insane from Starvation+sleeping on the floor + no booze and murdered 4 children and a turkey before he was killed by a very quickly built militia. I abandoned the fort. This was about 3 minutes ago.

:cry: Fuck you Urist McClothier, I would have had your beer if you gave me like two minutes for the damn broker to reach the depot.

Can't you at least reclaim? I would have kept going despite the inevitable tantrum spiral... usually things work themselves out. Usually.

Inspired by Bravemule, I decided to build a plains fortress. I was next to a river for an awesome watermill, and built a massive complex out of wood up top for a sweet castle defense. My first huntress became the personable and friendly sheriff. She was loved by all and things were good. Until Spring came, and with it - The Birds. Giant Sparrows and Keats continually ravaged my fortress. My Militia captain lost his arm in a fight, but despite his loss he continued to bludgeon things with a mace for years to come. My Sheriff however was less lucky and she was torn limb from limb. Her outstanding citizenship struck my dwarves hard, and every single dwarf appointed to sherrif either went insane, committed suicide, or in the case of one unfortunate sheriff, trapped in the caverns when a tantruming citizen destroyed the lever controlling the drawbridges. By the time it'd been replaced, his near-starvation had driven him mad.

Finally some dumbass took the trade depot apart in the middle of a goddamn trade so I got the fuck up out of there.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby muffinman42 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:21 pm

My current fort is going well, To the point where I'm having to cull my population to keep FPS up.
I've got loads of idle dwarfs but they're mainly children and doing shit all.

Working on a magma chamber to compliment the atom smasher that i've been using.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:09 pm

My vampire-king fortress is too slow to be fun anymore... but it's going well!
IVhorseman

Postby muffinman42 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk
Song sung in actual Dwarf Fortress Dwarven. (Well, English Grammar and syntax but all the words are dwarfish)
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Wow, that's actually really really damn cool. I've had it on repeat for a while.
IVhorseman

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:59 pm

I love how in all the time I was away there has been ONE post in this thread.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Arkbrik » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm starting a community fort over at the Bay12 forums. Join up if you want to.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby 501stCadians » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:08 pm

My fortress was taken out by badgers.

._.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
Playmobil

Postby Vami IV » Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 pm

I have a party of Dorfs at (and in) a mountain. Feel free to ask for one, in the meantime, I will keep you posted.
Spoiler: show
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby Ex_Bajir » Fri May 31, 2013 3:20 pm

I just downloaded Dwarf Fortress, got any suggestions or anything of the sort?
The Ex-Bajir, the last Commander of the Legio Mortis.
Ex_Bajir
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Fri May 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Well, go to the wiki for most of it.

Most importantly, you'll need a drawbridge and a dry moat. make sure you remove the upwards ramps leading to the drawbridge.

But before all that, you need consistent food and booze production, as well as wood for BEDS BEDS BEDS BEDS BARRELS

EDIT: Vami, throw me in as a miner.
IVhorseman

PreviousNext

Return to blah blah minecraft