Vehicle Guide

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Vehicle Guide

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 pm

So for a while people have been talking about making stat-cards for vehicles. As cool as this is, I think the first step would be to have a bunch of ideas for generic vehicle types, along with the stats that would be applied to them and a couple examples. So, why don't we work on this shit together?

about the horse card: it gives a move speed, an armor rating, and a few varieties. Vehicles don't (generally) have minds or skill ratings, so we won't even have to worry about that. Don't worry about size ratings, since everyone's tanks and planes are gonna be different sizes anyways - same goes for weapons. So, I'm gonna start with a couple ideas. You should add your own. Also I'm not going to add CP costs, but I'm assuming most of them would be some number times the size of the vehicle. Remember, these are just standard guidelines for basic vehicles, and there's no reason your super-duper sports car shouldn't go 16" a turn and be armored. You can always just buy upgrades for your vehicle as normal.

CAR
Examples: A friggin car. Also jeeps, trucks, SUVs and pretty much any other unarmored civillian vehicle. Also includes powered wagons and carts.
MOVE: 12" Forward Maneuvering
ARMOR: 1d10
Variants:
Armored Car: Has 2d10 armor.
Hover Car: cannot fly, but hovers a few briks off the floor and suffers no movement penalties due to terrain type - even over lava and water.
Sports Car: 16" movement. Pilot's penis becomes smaller.

TANK
Examples: Panzers, SHDTs, mobile orc fortresses pushed by ogres, pretty much anything heavily armored with treads and a turret.
MOVE: 8-10" Stationary Maneuvering
ARMOR: 3d10
Variants:
Mini-tank: anything under 3" only has a structure level of it's own size.
Assault Tank: Has 4d10 Armor from all attacks made against the front, but 2d10 for all attacks from behind.
Flying Tank: You dick. Has full maneuverability, like a big-ass helicopter.

TROOP TRANSPORT
Examples: Boxes with wheels, dropships, APCs, riot squad vehicles and big-rigs. Just about anything with a big-ass door in the back for dudes to climb out.
MOVE: 12" (various move types)
Variants:
APC Transport: 2d10 Armor, 10" move.
Dropship Transport: Flies - usually with unlimited maneuvering but not always. Might have rappel lines, or rope ladders.
Catapult Transport: Any size 2 launcher or larger can load and fire minifigs out of them.

PLANE
Examples: Bombers, Fighters, Jets, Hippogrifs etc.
MOVE: 16" Flight Maneuvering
ARMOR: 2d10
Variants:
Fighter Plane: Faster - up to 24" movement. Might only have 1d10 Armor, but not required.
Bomber Plane: Slower, but 3d10 armor - as slow as 12" but no slower than twice their own length.

HELICOPTER
Examples: Assault choppers, small spy vehicles, large transports, and flying armored death machines from the future. Doesn't necessarily have rotors.
MOVE: 12" Unlimited Maneuvering
Variants:
Attack Helicopter: Has 2d10 armor but 10" move.
Spy Helicopter: 8" of move but can only be detected by units (skill roll)" away from it. Once it's detected, the whole team knows where it is until it gains full cover for a full turn.
Transport Helicopter: See Troop Transport > Dropship. Same thing.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: Vehicle Guide

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Vehicles can be armored too?

I'm mass-producing OTC launchers or I'm done.

Edit: Scratch that, I'm just done. I sort of kind of started to see minifig armor, but even creations? Armored rules are out of the house in my brikwars.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Colette wrote:Vehicles can be armored too?
Sort of. There's no "rules" about armor that are official, but what i've seen proposed is that armored vehicles get to ignore one die, but any joints hinges and other exposed weak points can be targeted at a full TWO structure levels lower than the creation itself. I also suggested one where armored vehicles carry a bunch more momentum and have to continue moving at least half-speed in the direction they were previously going, but the first is a lot simpler. I will admit that I have play-tested neither.

I'm not sure why you're so intimidated by armor. If any attacks add static damage (e.g. 1d6+2 from a sword), a vehicle would still have to make an armor roll to not take damage. So, if three medium weapons deal 3d6+6 armor but the three dice are ignored, the vehicle still has to roll over 6 to muscle through the damage unscathed. Also, crits homie. Also big guns. Also just killing the pilots.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:31 am

Wait, I thought that you ignored the pluses from any dice that were taken away from the roll by armored. Also, what's "forward" and "stationary" movement?
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 am

Forward movement = wheels and shit: must go 1/2 vehicle length per 90 degree turn under most conditions
Stationary movement = treads and legs and shit that can turn around wherever

The pluses aren't ignored, they just rarely add up to anything substantial. It takes more than 4 damage to kill a fig, so you'd need either three co-ordinated medium weapon attacks, or five coordinated rifle shots (using 1d6+1 as the damage, not 1d8).

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 am

There are official Armor rules - they've been part of chapter 8 for quite awhile now.
Armor Plating
Armor Plating: Cost:WS+1CP Effect:+Armored to area Notes:No aerial flight or alternate movement; cost of Move inches doubled
(see 3.3: Bodily Protection)

Sections of Armor Plating can be used to protect some or all of a Creation, granting a level of Armored status to whatever area it covers. This protection comes at a cost to the Creation's mobility, however - the CP cost for all Propulsion inches are doubled (9.1: Standard Propulsion), and the added weight of even the smallest patch of Armor Plating makes many types of movement impossible.

Other than moving backwards, a Creation with Armor Plating cannot engage in any form of movement that would occur at Half Speed (4.1: Movement, 9.1: Standard Propulsion). Armor Plated Creations cannot engage in aerial flight, although spaceflight is allowed. They also cannot jump, although they can be dropped from orbit or launched from Launchers instead.

Attackers firing at an Armor Plated Creation should specify which part of the Creation they're attacking. Unless they are careful to specifically target an un-Armored section, their attack will automatically hit any section of Armor Plating that is visible and within range, no matter how small or unlikely.
(The movement rules here are slated to get simplified quite a bit; armor will make you "Slow" which is like being at Half Speed permanently, except you can still move backwards if necessary.)

Vehicles can have armor built onto them, but they're only armored in the places where you built specific armor plating elements. They're a little different than minifigs in this regard - a minifig puts on a body armor piece that covers his torso, and it's assumed that he has armor everywhere on his body.

The only part of a vehicle that's armored is the armor plating. Not the hinges, not the guns, not the computers, not the wheels, not the treads. If you can shoot anything that isn't specifically an armor plating element, then it's not armored.

Also note that armor plating eats up Weapon Inches against the vehicle's limit.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 am

I don't bother with armoring-up my tanks and such. More weapons, the better. Not to mention that 3d10 or 4d10 can keep you safe for a while so long as like half the enemy force isn't gunning for you all at once. I've also found that larger weapons such as 3d10 or 4d10 launchers/explosives and 5d6 or 6d6 damage guns can reliably penetrate such armor most of the time. Of course, I'm used to fielding large armies with multiple tanks per side. My lighter tanks also have only about 2d10 armor, which can defend well enough against most infantry-based weapons (unless you're fighting an entire Squad), but you can be easily destroyed by heavier weapons fire.

Essentially, my Tempests are faster and can dish out good damage on their own, but can be easily killed by concentrated fire. My larger tanks like the Typhoons and Crusader are slower and easier to hit, but also have a lot more dakka.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:37 am

stubby wrote:There are official Armor rules - they've been part of chapter 8 for quite awhile now.
Woah, how'd I miss that? Updating OP brb

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 am

IVhorseman wrote:Flying Tank: You dick. Has full maneuverability, like a big-ass helicopter.
At first, I misread this line as:
IVhorseman wrote:Flying Tank: Your dick. Has full maneuverability, like a big-ass helicopter.
Hilarity ensued.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 am

meatspin
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 pm

IVhorseman wrote: Assault Tank: Has 4d10 Armor from all attacks made against the front, but 2d10 for all attacks from behind.
So for calculating base CP value (Size x Structure Level) do we just split the difference and treat it as an SL3?
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:23 am

It's a tradeoff where the downside is about equal to the payoff, so I wouldn't charge extra for it.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Caculate it as whatever base value you choose. all you're adding is a d10 to the front in exchange for a d10 from the back.