X-com remake

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Re: X-com remake

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:13 am

Apollyon wrote:
mgb519 wrote:
Apollyon wrote:Yay, only about half a year or so i replayed X-Com on DOSbox. What an awesome game! What made it especially fun was that i gave the soldiers names of people from the Brikwars forum. Not many survived until the end. :-)

Hm, gotta play Terror from the Deep soonish...
Do it again and get pics.
I thought about getting fraps and recording a video.
I was considering doing the same thing recently - but have been stopped over and over again by life and stuff.

Would you consider doing a legacy game good sire, along the lines of dworf fortress? You play for 1 month, email me the save - I play for one month and email you the save and we each record our exploits?
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 am

Your proposal is welcome but i am not very fond of Dwarf Fortress/Nethack etc.
Or do you mean X-Com? Each plays one month then forwards the save to the other player? I would be in for that.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

The Shadowscythe
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 am

Apollyon wrote:Your proposal is welcome but i am not very fond of Dwarf Fortress/Nethack etc.
Or do you mean X-Com? Each plays one month then forwards the save to the other player? I would be in for that.
X-com Original flavour - Superhuman difficulty level, play one month and record it for youtube - then email the save across to the other player for him to do the same and so on.

So we could piss each other off with different base styles and play styles while basically competing a month in hand as to how to save the human race! :troll:
Spoiler
Show

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:22 am

Legacy game? It is done.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Apollyon

Post by Apollyon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:39 am

Superhuman difficulty? Never tried that. :-)

Also i need to figure out how to use fraps, edit videos and get a microphone, too! But in principle, let's do it!

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:17 am

Apollyon wrote:Superhuman difficulty? Never tried that. :-)

Also i need to figure out how to use fraps, edit videos and get a microphone, too! But in principle, let's do it!
In that case I will tell you what - I will start the game and record it - splitting the first month of gameplay (January 1999) down into ten minute episodes and then release them over so many days until you are set up and ready to follow my lead (in February 1999) and then you can choose how to edit your episodes, how long they will take and so on/so forth.

I think we only really need to sort a couple of things out really - we just need each other's real names (I be craig) email adresses ( [email protected] ) and youtube channels to link the two "parts" of the project together.

This shit is happening - and when I get the chance - I will sit down through January this evening and get everything rendering and whatnot tonight and then release each part on whatever schedule you are comfortable with.
Spoiler
Show

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:56 am

How do I get in on this?
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Just play the 3rd month, ofc.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Screw the entire idea -

I have just played for the last hour thinking I was recording when in fact I was not - I changed harddrives for use as scratch disks only for my laptop to ask for THE OTHER scratch disk every time I started recording, and then my sound turned off - only to return after I restarted my laptop - at which point my Microphone and keyboard decided to stop working for no good reason, something they have never done before.

And then my laptop gave out due to heat, and my daughter woke up not too long ago in the night.

So basically - I started a fun idea and the universe shat on me, booty bothered with reality now and out for a rage dump.

May come back to this idea later - once my laptop cools down enough for me to render again, in the mean time - fuck you inspiration, every time you turn up reality shits on you.
Spoiler
Show

Apollyon

Post by Apollyon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Ok. Let's just sort out the technical things first before we actually start? I guess i will be able to figure out everything during the coming week.
One question that comes to mind is will saves be compatible? We have to make sure we are using the same versions of the game.

Also, about the "rules": so we want to use the Brikwarriors for laughs. How many are we going to enlist (eventually) and whom? Is "superhuman" difficulty
winnable?

6. I say we start with the regular posters/awesome people and the recruits with particularly bad stats are going to be the wannabe trolls and retards we have. Then we let them die horribly.
7. You tell me about the difficulty. I only ever played on "normal" and winning there is just a question of time and patience - unless you are super stupid.
8. Let's play with permadeath and without S.O.S. (save early, save often) tactics, which means no reloading when a battle goes bad.

MGB, you are in.

P.S.

I want to play Terror from the Deep.

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 am

Apollyon wrote:Ok. Let's just sort out the technical things first before we actually start? I guess i will be able to figure out everything during the coming week.
One question that comes to mind is will saves be compatible? We have to make sure we are using the same versions of the game.

Also, about the "rules": so we want to use the Brikwarriors for laughs. How many are we going to enlist (eventually) and whom? Is "superhuman" difficulty
winnable?

6. I say we start with the regular posters/awesome people and the recruits with particularly bad stats are going to be the wannabe trolls and retards we have. Then we let them die horribly.
7. You tell me about the difficulty. I only ever played on "normal" and winning there is just a question of time and patience - unless you are super stupid.
8. Let's play with permadeath and without S.O.S. (save early, save often) tactics, which means no reloading when a battle goes bad.

MGB, you are in.

P.S.

I want to play Terror from the Deep.
Save games are compatible across the board so you won't have to worry about issues there

My list of "Squad members" consisted of -

1. Shadowscythe
2. Apollyon
3. Warhead
4. Natalya
5. Stubby
6. Zupponn
7. Silverdream
8. Almighty Benny
9. IV Horseman
10. Blitzen
11. my floppy penis
12. Piltogg
13. Mgb519
14. colette

After anyone died - I was adding a I for each time they died and named a new rookie after them - winner would be the longest survivor -OR- the one with the least amount of deaths by the end of the game.

As for Difficulty - Superhuman is HARD AS BALLS - it is a serious uphill challenge but worth it if you can complete it - I have only done so once, and that was a long time ago.

As for permadeath - I was only going to save at the end of my month and then pass the save along - As I said above, naming a new rookie after each fallen brikwarrior and count who has died the least by the end of the game to decide upon the "Winner" and wasn't going to reload if shit went to hell - we deal with our own mess regardless of what it gets us into.

As for my "ragequit" last night - I have major technical hurdles to overcome with my recording setup for reasons mortal minds cannot explain, and then other issues to fix with my sound and keyboard, both of which turned OFF after half an hour of recording that vanished into the ether (as in, not recorded AT ALL) and then another half hour with no sound, no microphone and no keyboard.

As for Terror from the Deep - I am cool with this - but I was hoping to carry the same troops over from Enemy Unknown INTO Terror from the Deep (I have a save game editor that allows me to do so) once Enemy Unknown was finished (with cydonia and shit) and then see if the winner could keep their post - or die horribly.

BUT - TFTD is cool too. :omnom:
Spoiler
Show

Gorchek
Officer

Post by Gorchek » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:15 am

Brief side note, for those who don't check Steam often...

XCom, Enemy Unknown is currently available for preorder. If enough people get it, they'll give out Civilization V for free.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 am

Already preordered... back in June...
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 pm

I just checked out this new game, it looks fucking awesome. A worthy remake of an enduring classic. Demo is downloading as I type.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm excited for it. I can't count the hours I spent on the original. And for it to be put together by a crew who loved it as much as I did...well, that's just icing on the cake.