Wumin now fucking with Online Gaming

You know, whatever

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Re: Wumin now fucking with Online Gaming

Postby Zupponn » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 am

Haha. The alien would probably kill him and then the rest would be like, "Nooooo!!!" and then hit the rocket's self-destruct button.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby stubby » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 am

Keldoclock wrote:You know, I bet if they made a movie with this cast:

McNair would die first. Image

Onizuka would have an alien burst from his chest, Jarvis would turn out to be an android, and Christa McAuliffe would be the sole survivor.

Smith: "Hey Resnick, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
Resnick: "No, have you?"
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Nitewatchman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Tzan wrote:Wow for a guy that doesn't watch TV you sure know your black history.

In an episode of Black Dynamite a guy was reading a newspaper,
the name of the paper was "Good Times" written in the same font as "The New York Times".

That show is flipping fantastic.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor
Galidor

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 pm

OT, but if you don't mind me asking, Stubby, how do you disagree with Anita about the Friends line? alot of her more general criticisms rang true for me, especially the way that LEGO has increasingly focused on violent themes in its play sets and advertisements. :belushi: aside, I really feel like stock LEGO sets were at their best when they had less violent themes. We don't need TLG to make weapons for us when we already do that so much better ourselves.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:13 pm

There was a long thread about it earlier, but it was before the big forum update so it's not indexed in the search and I can't track it down easily.

If I remember right my biggest objection was to the accusation that the "boy's" lines give all kinds of opportunities for imaginative and constructive play, while the "girl's" Friends sets limited the kids to narrowly-defined stereotypical gender roles and no imaginative or constructive play.

I thought that was bullshit. Boys get cops and robbers, or Batman, or ninjago versus skeletons; there's nothing constructive about them at all, and talk about narrowly-defined roles! Meanwhile the girls sets get a doctor running her own veterinary hospital, a girl with a robotics laboratory, another one with a design studio, another one rescuing animals in her own ATV, etc. etc. The Friends' roles are way, way more open-ended and constructive and non-gender-specific than the characters in the boys' sets, but everybody's up in arms about how sexist they are because Lego made some of the bricks pink. If anything, we should be holding the designs of the Friends sets up as the standard to raise the boys' sets to.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Zupponn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 pm

WHO WANTS TO SAY THAT THE FRIENDS LINE IS NOT AWESOME!?!?!?!?

WHO?!?
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Theblackdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:14 am

Zupponn wrote:WHO WANTS TO SAY THAT THE FRIENDS LINE IS NOT AWESOME!?!?!?!?

WHO?!?

Was that made entirely with Friends sets?

I had a quick look through the Friends catalog and one of the things that struck me was that the sets didn't seem as re-buildable as the boys' sets did. As in, the pieces that form most of your average MOCer's 'tool box' were in shorter supply in those sets than in the product lines marketed to boys. Of course, really good builders can get around this, but it takes years to get to that level of skill and you may just not be able to build the things you really want to.

stubby wrote: Boys get cops and robbers, or Batman, or ninjago versus skeletons; there's nothing constructive about them at all, and talk about narrowly-defined roles! Meanwhile the girls sets get a doctor running her own veterinary hospital, a girl with a robotics laboratory, another one with a design studio, another one rescuing animals in her own ATV, etc. etc. The Friends' roles are way, way more open-ended and constructive and non-gender-specific than the characters in the boys' sets, but everybody's up in arms about how sexist they are because Lego made some of the bricks pink. If anything, we should be holding the designs of the Friends sets up as the standard to raise the boys' sets to.

This seemed to me to be the exact thing Anita was complaining about -- it's not so much that the girls' sets are all about cooking and cleaning and whatever, but that LEGO used to sell the same themes to girls and boys, and now it's two different product lines marketed to different genders, with several boys' product lines and one token girls' product line. Which is another problem I have with Friends; regardless of its content, it's clearly marketed as 'for girls' instead of being a return to LEGO's more open-ended, constructive, non-violent roots. Even if the Friends sets are as good as the stuff marketed to boys, they're still fundamentally separate-but-equal.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Natalya » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am

That thing uses shitty ball joints.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby GeneralOfDeath » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm

lol at spontaneous derailment of thread.
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours
TROLOLO
GeneralOfDeath
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Zupponn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:27 am

Natalya wrote:That thing uses shitty ball joints.

And yet, it is still fucking awesome.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Zahru II » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:23 am

Oh my fuck, it's this topic again *turns 180 and leaves thread*
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby The_Hopeful » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Back on topic, this sucks dick. They're in our games, and we can't even make sammich jokes anymore.
The_Hopeful
Champion
Champion

Postby Arkbrik » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Turns out Stubby and Theblackdog are right, boys can love the Friends.

The Friends sets have a lot of playability thanks to all their details and accessories, something that younger kids love, but which is often overlooked by BrikWarriors and other older kids. All the ninjas and knights and spacemen and crap only have one purpose; kill each other. When I was a younger kid I always built cities. Or I tried at least, because I had so few buildings. Would have been great to have some of those Friends sets.

Then as I got older I started getting into violence, found BrikWars, built armies, and my heart grew cold and hard and I forgot how to play.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Tzan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Arkbrik wrote:Then as I got older I started getting into violence, found BrikWars, built armies, and my heart grew cold and hard and I forgot how to play.

That looks like some great text for the inside of a birthday card.

Front of card:
A happy minifig guy with a party hat
text: "I had a happy birthday, like you!"

Inside card:
Picture: Conan minifig on throne of skullz, thinking.
text: "Then as I got older I started getting into violence, found BrikWars, built armies, and my heart grew cold and hard and I forgot how to play"
Last edited by Tzan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Warhead » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 pm

That Conan part needs to be done in Mini-Fig with caption.

Arkbrik wrote:...When I was a younger kid I always built cities. Or I tried at least, because I had so few buildings.

When I wasn't building sprawling bases or ships I too was building cities. The family (Immortals) would subtly, and sometimes not so subtly take over all the criminal goings on and before long end up owning the city. Dial'O'Death was born during that time selling guns to shady characters with plenty of money. Then the rebellious riots would start and end up in a blood bath of epic proportions with every toy I owned getting in on the act. Some of my best experiences of play have been war based, but then my head burns with War.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Build me an Army worthy of Mordor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion