September 30 Brikwar @ Susquehanna: Another New Guy

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Re: September 30 Brikwar @ Susquehanna: Another New Guy

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:05 am

Natalya wrote:How were you getting 1d10 explosion critical successes?
When Heroes "overskill," they have the option of adding +1d10 to damage since that is their skill rating:
4.2 Action wrote: Unlike regular Bonus Dice, which always add +1d6, an Overskill Die is the same die type as the unit's Skill. Regular minifigs who earn an Overskill Die will add +1d6 to their Damage Roll (or other secondary roll), to match their 1d6 Skill. Heroes, with their 1d10 Skill, will add a more impressive Overskill of +1d10 (6.1: The Hero). When appropriate (which is to say, always), this +1d10 can be treated as an extra die of Explosion damage rather than regular Damage, with an area effect that fortuitously excludes the Hero himself
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:58 am

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:When Heroes "overskill," they have the option of adding +1d10 to damage since that is their skill rating:
There's a chance I'll end up scaling this back to +1d6 for everybody when I go back and edit everything, since it's just a little bit more complicated than I like.

The problem I was trying to address was that 1d6 Skill is better than 1d10 Skill if you're up against Armor with a 1-die weapon. The other option was adjusting critical threat ranges to 6 on 1d6, 7-8 on 1d8, 8-10 on 1d10, but that's even more complication.

How did you feel about the +1d10 explosive strikes?
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:39 pm

To me they were exciting; I nearly wiped out a whole squad of archers with the one. And for something really only a hero is capable of doing it was quite flavorful imo.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:57 pm

stubby wrote:
Rev. Sylvanus wrote:When Heroes "overskill," they have the option of adding +1d10 to damage since that is their skill rating:
There's a chance I'll end up scaling this back to +1d6 for everybody when I go back and edit everything, since it's just a little bit more complicated than I like.
When I first taught this to the guy I usually brikwar with, he got very confused as to why it was an explosion, and for the rest of the game whenever he'd crit he was unsure of which die he was supposed to roll with.

Overall though, everybody I've gamed with loves it when a hero has a moment of absolute awesomeness and blows up everyone. It's never unfun, even for newbie losers.

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:17 pm

This is fantastic! i really need to get my medievle armies together!

hey i was trying to teach a friend of mine how to play brikwars, but it felt like i steamrolled her with info and non of the fun, how can i introduce people properly?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:39 pm

RunsWithLegos wrote:This is fantastic! i really need to get my medievle armies together!

hey i was trying to teach a friend of mine how to play brikwars, but it felt like i steamrolled her with info and non of the fun, how can i introduce people properly?
Have a basic minifig card available. That has tons of the basic info you need. Also consider adding rules over time. So for your first game, just a handful of minifigs with a few different basic weapons (handweapon, shield, heavy, maybe a short-range or long-range weapon). Ignore things like MOM/POP, MOC's, d8's, complicated weapons, supernatural stuff, and the like for the first game. Then, when the very basics of moving, action, and combat are down, introduce other elements.

When I played with McLovin for the first time, all minifigs except heroes had essentially the same stats (aside from equipment differences). Only in our most recent game have I added ideas like explosions, fire damage, 3" creations, bailing, and cover.

So just start as basic as you possibly can and build complexity from there.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm

RunsWithLegos wrote:This is fantastic! i really need to get my medievle armies together!

When I played Brikwars with my sister, I just set up the field and let her pick her units and decide which would be which, we started playing and every time we encountered something new I stopped to explain it, step by step. I let her start and explained her options and unit abilities, and she caught on pretty quickly (I'll have to say she is really smart, but I think most people could understand it). By the end of the game she already understood the Brikwars spirit to the degree that she let her final soldier, who didn't stand a chance, just get splattered by Adventurous Mark Antony and his plane without rolling any dice in the favour of violence and ending the already decided game. As Rev. said I left out the more complicated stuff, but then again that's what I do most of the time anyway. A tip is you have to let them win in their first game too, because my sis has terrible luck with the dice, so I won, and now she no longer wants to Brikwar.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:41 am

Bragallot wrote:A tip is you have to let them win in their first game too, because my sis has terrible luck with the dice, so I won, and now she no longer wants to Brikwar.
I'm a total believer in this principal, which is good, because it means that it lets me feel like I win when I lose.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Wait, you lose games?
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:19 am

Duh. Losing rules - why else would I send a lone assault tank up against roc's main force?