TOP 100 VIDEO GAMES OF ALL TIME

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

TOP 100 VIDEO GAMES OF ALL TIME

Post by samuelzz10 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Me and a few friends are working on a list, and this is what we have so far. We haven't put on all the games yet, but we're looking to amass about 300 games and narrow it down to 100 with a 1/20 score list. Tell me any games you think should be added. (NOTE: this is just a copy and paste from google docs, it will probably be a little messed up.)

TOP 100 VIDEO GAMES

RULES:
- despite how good all games in a franchise may be, the more there are with similar gameplay the less likely will appear. EX: not all legend of the zelda games will dominate adventure games.
-more than one per franchise allowed
-Games don't get on for being influential, they must be good.

mario 64 (and 64 ds): I loved this game, but until recently I have only played the nintendo ds version, but they only take up one spot on the list because they are basically the same game but only with different characters replacing mario in 64.
age of mythology: this was my first RTS game, and it is amazing, using the well made “ages” system, and it also has mythological creatures that work very well. I still pop in this game every now and then. it is that good.
starcraft 2: probably the best RTS ever made, and I have never played the first one. I hear it is more balanced, but whatever. the story is great, and the online is nearly flawless, besides lack of lan.
age of empires 3: probably one of the most detailed games ever, like age of mythology you can read up on the history of anything you can click. this alone tells us they put a few hundred thousand or so hours into this game. give or take a few hundred thousand. still, probably the most detailed rts to date.
destroy all humans 2: the whole series suffers from extremely underrated syndrome. it never got the attention it deserved, but dang was it great! this game is probably my second favorite, even though I’ve never got the chance to play them all. the story is hilarious, and is overall a very cheesy (on purpose) game about the 60’s, full of stereotypes sissies will find offensive.

destroy all humans path of the furon: this game got horrible rating, and for no reason! It was funny, had a good plot, and is the only free roaming game where you go to a high tech alien planet far away. really, I think it was because of Grand theft auto 4 the game got low ratings. call me a conspiracy theorist, but the ratings were just too low for them to be real.

all main pokemon games: these games are among the best. they are all so great, and have tons of thought put into them, and I honestly will not speak any more. buy just one of the main games, play it, and you will realise the beauty in these games.

super metroid: this is an old gem, forgotten by the modern audience. my only gripe is that the game has so many puzzles, and for the full experience you must never look up tips. I have a few times, and it makes me feel guilty. the game is near perfect, and by many it is considered the best game ever. its got so many great elements, and it doesn’t get much better than this.
metroid prime: this is a great game, and it like super metroid has many puzzles. none of them are very hard, and it is all very well fleshed out. The graphics are even better than some games from not long ago, possibly even halo reach! no, I’m serious! just play it, you can buy it for like 5 bucks. the game very well made, the only problem is backtracking, but without it, the game may not be the game it is.
halo 1: this game sold tons of xbox systems, and you know the rest. look at some footage of the game because everyone has played it.
halo 2: same as halo 1. but now with xbox live. watch gameplay.
halo 3: OK, WE GET IT! WATCH THE GAMEPLAY.
halo 4: Gameplay.
halo reach: More gameplay.
skyrim: this game sounded overrated when I first heard of it, and it was the first time I played an elder scrolls game, and it is great. but it only gets like a 7.3 or 8 from me, it isn’t as good as everyone makes it to be. the characters always feel clunky and weighted, and it sometimes has really annoying puzzles.I know everyone will ignore my opinion, but this isn’t all it is hyped up to be.
oblivion: this is the same as skyrim. the dark brotherhood is better, and you feel more floaty, but overall it is the same.
civilization 4 (and expansions):this game is a very well made and well thought out, and is a game that creates a black hole capable of sucking in days at a time . almost every computer can run it, and it works very well. it is overall an amazing game, and it is very dangerous.
mario galaxy:
mario galaxy 2:
super mario bros 3: I don’t really like this game. the list isn’t based on influential-ness and stuff like that, so why is it on? well, it is still fun, but not as much as the later games in my opinions. this game introduced a lot of things that would be in the later mario brother games, but none of them did it as well as this game. this has multiple paths, and not all are mandatory, but all are fun. the others do have a few branching paths, but they are few and far between. some of them are mandatory, which takes out the “extra gameplay!” feeling out. overall, a game that is still good, but not great.
mario world: this is more like it! one of the first SNES games, this was groundbreaking. it had many colors, (the system had about 1,200 colors while the sega system only had 250) and it had a whimsical charm to it. it was just a great game. But the wall jump still has not arrived... but hey, great game, it’s on the list.

new super mario bros wii: this was probably the 2nd most groundbreaking mario game! why? it had 4 players! thats right, 4 players! it sounds easy to do, when we have 64 player online games nowadays, but the balancing is perfect, and despite it being the easiest mario game, (at least in terms of sidescrollers) you can still die a lot, especially on the world 7 castle.
new super mario bros: this game was one of the best ds games, and with good reason. there isn’t all too many special things to say though, so I will now stop talking.

futurama game: The futurama game actually breaks one of my rules: I have never played it. but, on the bender’s big score bonus features you can watch all the game’s cutscenes. they add up to be around 30 minutes, and it basically asides from gameplay is technically the last futurama episode of the show’s first run on television before being cancelled for low viewer ratings. the cell shaded graphics for the cutscenes are admittedly badly animated for their time, but they are funny and smart, and that is what matters. the gameplay according to reviews is OK, but they never say it is horrible so despite never playing it, I’ll let it pass.
mortal kombat dc: this game got a bad rep for being rated only T, for teen but I don’t really think ratings matter. the game was very good, but I hate DC comics. thankfully, it means I can enjoy killing them. MWAHAHAHAHA! oh, and the side-stepping ability sucks.
mortal kombat 9: this is where it’s at! going back to the roots, this is the perfect game! good graphics, and flawless gameplay, this is easily in my opinion the best one. I don’t think the other games do it like this one, it is the best and it has tag battles! I like scorpion and cyrax.
ratchet and clank a crack in time: Some people say this is one of the worst games in the series, but that is because they want to be hipsters and can’t deny the new game is in fact better.
super smash bros: this game is good, but not the best in the series. it is mainly the lack of moves, but it started one of the greatest series ever
super smash bros melee: this is a great game. this is the second game in the franchise, and history can show us if the second step fails, further action is cautioned. the result is almost universally known to any gamer: it won. one of my friends who owned a gamer only had about 10 games, and this was one of them. I can’t name half of his games, this was one of the only ones he ever played! It introduced lots of new characters, and the game itself was easy to control after a while. it introduced left and right special attacks, and it just perfected the franchise. some say it was the best in the series. I beg to differ.
super smash bros brawl: this game is near flawless. it lost some characters, and made the mistake of replacing mewtwo with the oh so d a p p e r lucario, but that is really its only problem. the fighting is great, and some people will say I just like it because it is new, but I have played the second one long before this one’s release and I can easily say it is the best one.
minecraft:
castle crashers: the behemoth is a game company with only about 5 or so employees, and they take a few years to make one game. but when they do, they do a fine job. the game is filled with action and great battles, but the gameplay is a little repetitive. it is the same throughout the whole game, and the only additions are extra magic spells, but you stop about halfway through the game. So, that’s why it didn’t get higher. if they focused on making more ways to beat the game, rather than hacking and slashing until your magic recharged it would’ve got a higher rating. imagine being able to pull off inventive combos, or adding even more rpg elements to make the game more complex! If it sounds like the game is bad, don’t be mislead. it is always a well spent $15.

fat princess: this is the weirdest game I’ve played in probably my whole life. it revolves around 2 rival kingdoms that happen to be at war, with forests full of fattening cake. you use the cake to make your princess fat so it is harder for her to be kidnapped, while you try to steal the other team’s princess. it sounds stupid and like a bad idea, but the gameplay is great, even if the online is a little lackluster in my opinion.

ocarina of time: this game is WAY overrated. is it fun? yes. is it revolutionary? yes. is it one of the greatest games of all time? yes! It gets 10/10 ratings on every website! so why isn’t it number 1? well, it is overrated. it is a good game, but it really isn’t the best game I’ve ever played. the lock on combat is fun, and lunging through an enemy's defence is great. but the game just isn’t a perfect 10/10 game! I don’t know how it got that rating with the water temple, and it just hasn’t aged like some other games. I love it, but not that much. I know I’m making it sound bad, but seriously, not the best game.
link to the past:
mario and luigi bowser’s inside story: this game is obscure at best. the story is very odd, but this doesn't make it a bad game. the game is probably the best mario rpg, and the game requires you to tap buttons when you attack or else attacks do little to no damage. the game is filled with cheesy, yet effective humor and it is overall one of the best games ever.
weird penis 3: this game got horrible reviews, and I don’t see why. as a matter a fact, I played the game the worst way possible (on the wii) and still loved it! the replay value isn’t as great, sure, but hey, what can top weird penis 2?
weird penis 2: is this game great or what? you play as peter parker (duh) and travel across new york city helping random people, while following a good storyline, if it is a bit cheesy? well thats what this game is. weird penis 2 has everything, combos, web swinging, good free roaming, secrets, it has everything! they haven’t made another one like it since, there have all been glaring problems with the other games, (except for ultimate weird penis) that have held them back, making them range from good game, to great, but this game is probably the best movie game ever, if not the best game ever hands down. please, just buy it online. It probably only costs like $15 or less on Amazon.
ultimate weird penis: this game is very similar to weird penis 2, and it is actually canon! Well, I think it is canon, I forget. It takes place later in the ultimate weird penis continuity, you know, before he died. anyways, the game focuses on the story a great deal, and it is flawless. the game is almost perfect, honestly! but the venom parts ruin it for me. yes, you play as venom in this game. if only he wasn’t here.....
crash 3: this is the last naughty dog crash game, and don’t let anyone tell you the other guys did better. Let me tell you a bit about naughty dog: Naughty dog was made under JAM games a while back and it was 2 kids who had a knack for coding video games. one day, they stumbled into sony studios and got the PSX development kit, and they made crash bandicoot. the game was so good, it almost killed the hardware because of the beautiful graphics. when it was released, it became sony’s unofficial mascot. but then, they lost the rights to make the games and now, the crash license is tossed around like nothing, but there was a time when it was something.
the game is great. just buy it on PSN for $5 ok?

crash twinsanity: this game is actually way too underrated. it has the same controls as all the classic bandicoot games, but this one has a sort of open world thing going on. the game is cartoony, and the gameplay is great, and the story is hilarious. you actually play as 3 characters in this game, crash, dr neo cortex, and his daughter. the game is just very good, but also the last good crash game made. what a sad day.
wrath of cortex: this was the first game in the crash series not made by naughty dog, and it is nearly flawless. Great game? check. Good graphics? still holds up today. great characters? yes. this game shares almost all the gameplay elements of the other crash games, and the movement is spot on to the old crash games, and it feels like you’re playing the same thing. and I can’t stress the graphics enough, I’ve never thought they matter to a game (and still don’t) but god! these are some of the best I’ve seen. It looks flawless for its time, and even today it can stand up, and is actually better than some recent releases! no joke.
pacman championship edition DX: some nostalgic people who think pacman is the best game ever because “it revolutionized the industry” are really stupid. Yeah, I said it. This remake of the game is great, and it really perfects the game. what’s that? you think the old one is better? oh, well unless you’re prone to seizures then you have no reason to admit this game is better.
trogdor: well, this must be a surprise. back in the early years of this century, there were 2 guys that liked making flash cartoons. they made the widely popular series Homestarrunner. with its crude animation, and great humor, I find it hard to believe people don’t like it. in one of their videos titled “Dragon” Strongbad the luchador makes a drawing of the dragon Trogdor, and after that a meme was born. no dragon has made an effect on the internet this big, and then they made a game that looks like it is from the atari 2600. it was great, and I even made a lego stopmotion of it and in teen leadership (a class at my school) I showed it off, and everyone thought it was hilarious, and the ones that thought it was best were the ones that knew trogdor. I don’t think a game has made this much effect on the internet with few exceptions. the game is free, and no download required. just play it.
starwars battlefront:
starwars battlefront 2:
weird penis web of shadows:
marvel rise of the imperfects.
worms open warfare 2:
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Predator
Dimmy

Re: TOP 100 VIDEO GAMES OF ALL TIME

Post by Predator » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:30 pm

tl;dr

I'd add Happy Wars, it launched yesterday (for me) On XBLA for free and it's great fun.
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)
Get Him!!!! :fist:
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm not touching this because this list is so badly mutilated in my opinion.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Dwarf Fortress. It is the everything.

Nethack. It has more mechanics than any other game, and they are good ones.

Iji. It has a story that is actually kinda interesting. This is very rare in games.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Psychonauts: I plan to play this game again at Manly Santa Day break. The humour, the levels, the gameplay, the hidden shit, the replayability and everything about it makes it my most favourite game of all time.

Megaman X: During the summer, I played this game with kool-aid shots. Probably the greatest moment of my life. Plus it was one of the first video games I ever owned.

Also, if the game in question isn't released yet (see halo 4) you should remove it. That being said, I think you should pick between Halo:CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3. I myself would pick Halo 2, because that's the Halo I grew up with. This also goes for the other series of games, especially when some are clearly better than the rest.

Also, just because a game is fun does not mean it's the best game ever.
Image lol j/k

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Actually, I propose we scrap this list and start over from scratch.
Timesplitters 2 is not on here. Neither is Bastion. Nor is Deus Ex. Nor Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, nor XCom, nor Comander Keen, nor the ORIGINAL star craft, nor Rome: Total War, nor Far Cry, nor Second Sight, nor Fallout 3, nor Fallout 2, nor Planescape: Torment. Hell, not even Portal. No, this here is a shitty "best games" list.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:24 pm

mgb519 wrote:Actually, I propose we scrap this list and start over from scratch.
Timesplitters 2 is not on here. Neither is Bastion. Nor is Deus Ex. Nor Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, nor XCom, nor Comander Keen, nor the ORIGINAL star craft, nor Rome: Total War, nor Far Cry, nor Second Sight, nor Fallout 3, nor Fallout 2, nor Planescape: Torment. Hell, not even Portal. No, this here is a shitty "best games" list.
Opinions :roll:

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:
mgb519 wrote:Actually, I propose we scrap this list and start over from scratch.
His opinions are better because OP names games he/she has never played. Plus OP flat out states entire franchises.
Image lol j/k

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Silverdream wrote:
Overwatch_Elite wrote:
His opinions are better because OP names games he/she has never played. Plus OP flat out states entire franchises.
I never said the op was any good

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Image lol j/k

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Silverdream wrote:Let the circlejerk begin!
I always love a good circle jerk

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:56 pm

I don't want to get into reasons right now, (its late) but the portal fanbase is a shit spewing bunch of high headed morons who need to realize that portal isn't the best think since butter on bread, but rather a game that introduces a new weapon that if implemented in a game like black ops 2 (which instead of being a techdemo, a good chunck of a full out game) would make a difference. PEOPLE, SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THINKING WITH PORTALS!

Quick edit: and even if it was made by activision in the first place, you would all be hippie-fags and talk about corporatism, and how it is ruining the games market
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:32 am

Oh you're right, I forgot. Portal should totally be on your list. Even if the fanbase of something is a bunch of morons, the thing itself can still be good. See: MLP

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:09 am

samuelzz10 wrote:I don't want to get into reasons right now, (its late) but the portal fanbase is a shit spewing bunch of high headed morons who need to realize that portal isn't the best think since butter on bread, but rather a game that introduces a new weapon that if implemented in a game like black ops 2 (which instead of being a techdemo, a good chunck of a full out game) would make a difference. PEOPLE, SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THINKING WITH PORTALS!
Portal's not a great game because it added a new weapon, any more than Star Wars was great because it had a lightsaber. Other games had the portals mechanic before portal did - I'm thinking of Prey in particular - but what elevates it from merely a solidly good puzzle game to the standard of gaming excellence is the aesthetic and characterization invested in it. After the first level or two, you're not playing the game to solve more puzzles. You're playing for GlaDOS.

Black Ops 2, on the other hand... is the kind of game where people think it would be better if it had more weapons. That's not a good sign. It's a sign that there's not any reason to recommend it over the thousand other identical garbage games that are exactly the same except with more or fewer weapons.

My votes for top games: Original XCOM. Original Deus Ex. Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. Starflight I. Nethack. Ultima VI.

Oh, and QWOP, for sure.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Predator
Dimmy

Post by Predator » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 am

Arkbrik wrote:See: MLP
Only 1/2 of all bronises are Neckbearded Cloppers.
*Waiting for flamewar about opinions*
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)
Get Him!!!! :fist:
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.