General Labour

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

General Labour

Postby Natalya » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 am

So I move up to Canada in a couple of days, and I'll need a job. Despite my years of experience with computers I don't have any certifications or credentials or whatever, so I'm basically unemployable when it comes to that. However, the area I'm moving to has a ton of general labour type jobs available, paying usually around 12 - 14 hr depending on what it is, factory work maybe warehousing, etc. I was thinking what I could do is get a forklift operating license (takes a day to get certified) and then try to get a forklift job somewhere out there because those usually pay a couple dollars more than average factory/warehouse workers and like I'd rather be the one crushing someone with a forklift by accident than being the one who got crushed by a forklift by accident. Does this plan make sense, or is there maybe a better job I could pursue? I think if I want to make any real money I'll have to start my own business, but in the short run I'm going to need work but I don't want to do some crushing drudge-work that leaves me unable to play roller derby due to exhaustion.

There are some computer-type jobs I could apply for like ones wanting graphic design experience, but I fucking hate that shit even though I'm good at it. If I was gonna do computers I'd want it to be something sexy like programming.

A dream job would be installing solar panels or wind turbines or whatever, but I don't really even know how to find that kind of work. :(

Oh and this thread may belong in the Beer forum.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Re: General Labour

Postby Bragallot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:20 am

My first advice would be not to ask for advice on important matter of life on the Brikwars forum.

General labour jobs are extremely repetitive and tedious. In the long run, almost everything else will be better than that.

Then again, you can always quit a job. Too many people think they have to immediately get it right for the rest of their life when they choose an occupation.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby piltogg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 am

I do not know of any better solutions. But here's my experiences for you.

I worked general labor all last summer installing office furniture in skyscrapers and other such buildings... Can't say that I can recommend it as a good experience. Worked like 70 hours a week at $10 an hour, made like $4,500 over the course of the summer, wasn't able to do anything else after work due to being completely exhausted and having to wake up at like 5 am everyday. Overall.. not sure it was worth it, other than the fact that I can now say that I have had a previous employer on my resume.

We worked in a few warehouses during that time, and it seemed like the warehouse guys had a pretty easy job because they just had to operate the fork-lifts and put various items (though a few very heavy ones) in boxes or pallets or whatever. I'd suspect that hours/pay/level of physical labor, is going to be pretty similar to what I did. --It's enough to survive on, but that's about it. Some of my co-workers were living out of their cars.

So.. be prepared for that. Canada might be a little bit better off though, so you've got that going for you.

Scratch that. A few of the guys mentioned that you could make like $20 dollars an hour harvesting corn during the harvest season for like a month straight. So that's an extra income source possibly.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Tzan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 am

I don't know what your living situation is, but you should try and write down a budget.
Figure out how much you will be spending and make sure the job pays enough to at least break even after taxes.
If you are living with a family member or friend for free rent or a split it will be easier to find a job.

Temporary placement agencies are a very good place to start.
I worked through temp agencies for 6 years.
Apply to many agencies, it will increase your chances of getting something you hate less.

Each one specializes in a different thing.
Half the jobs I got were drafting jobs in various fields. The hourly pay is always more than a full time job.

Some agencies are mostly office / unskilled labor. Office jobs will want you to take a typing test and maybe a test at using various office software.
I have taken jobs like these before. Several times they will ask if you are interested in staying on like Bonn-o-Tron.
But most temp jobs are 1 week to 4 months so you don't get too bored with a stupid job.
You grind it out till the contract is over and earn the respect of the agency.
If you bail on jobs too much they wont be interested in placing you again.

If you really cannot continue a job, call your contact at the agency and explain the situation.
Just tell the truth, you don't need a fancy excuse, they will understand and you wont break a relationship with them.
I was at a place for 3 days and I just had to leave.

A temp agency is very happy to get a college educated person.
Many of the people that come through are mostly unemployable dopes.

Taking a temp job that is very far from home isn't really a problem because you are not committing to a full time job.
A 1+ hour commute for 2 weeks is no big deal.

Pharmacist
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Nitewatchman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:46 am

Tzan wrote:Pharmacist

I was going to suggest Pharmacy Tech, actually. That's what I've been considering for the coming summer, as starting pay is generally 10 dollars an hour or better, the work isn't terrible, and really you don't have to deal with customers in any other way besides filing insurance stuff, running a register, and saying, "Let me ask the pharmacist." Of course, I have absolutely no idea how being a Pharmacy Tech in Canada works, what with their universal healthcare. You might get paid jack crap, or you might get paid more. No idea. Nor do I know the certification process. Here in the US anyone can send in for a license. All it takes is a background check and a couple hundred bucks. Then you just pay a few hundred more for the PTCB and, if you pass it, you're employable! Some places will even take you without PTCB certification.

Not a bad idea to look into something in the medical field, Natty-light. My dad once told me that if I got a job involving medicine, I'd be set for life. People are always sick and everyone dies, so there's always a need for more people in pretty much every field.

Cept X-Ray, MRI, and CT. That's one of those fields you get in and stay in because it's oodles of money for very little work.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

Postby Silverdream » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:30 pm

You are a Canadian citizen now? Join the Army. Canada has never been on the evil side of any war, and we always win.

Plus if you ever go to the Netherlands wearing Canadian attire you'll be worshipped, or at least treated really nicely by the locals.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Natalya » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Bragallot wrote:My first advice would be not to ask for advice on important matter of life on the Brikwars forum.

I often get good advice here on the BrikWars forum. In many ways y'all are idiots, but in many ways there is a collective wisdom here. Everyone who has replied thus-far had something interesting to say.

@Tzan:
Yeah I guess I'm afraid of getting a job I hate. The job I had in Atlanta (sorta still have even after I move because I can do online stuff) was like the best job I ever had. It was $14/hr and I could like do physical warehouse crap or I could sit on a computer all day or I could do product photography and go outside in the sun since they didn't have a light box, so basically I got to do whatever the fuck I wanted to. It was so flexible it was awesome, but it was only part-time and it took 40 minutes to get there (assuming I was speeding like 25-over) so I mean it wasn't sustainable, but I stayed for over a year so I think that looks good on my résumé.

I do have a real 4-year college degree (not some Full Sail or Herzing shit) and I'll be staying with my aunt so I don't really have any financial obligations.

@Silver:
Yeah I'm a citizen of Canada, have been since I was like a baby.

piltogg wrote:I worked general labor all last summer installing office furniture in skyscrapers and other such buildings... Can't say that I can recommend it as a good experience. Worked like 70 hours a week at $10 an hour, made like $4,500 over the course of the summer, wasn't able to do anything else after work due to being completely exhausted and having to wake up at like 5 am everyday. Overall.. not sure it was worth it, other than the fact that I can now say that I have had a previous employer on my resume.

This is probably too intense for me, I couldn't do those hours for that kind of pay; too hard and just not worth it overall. Whatever job I get needs to be like 14/hr minimum unless it is something that is just really fun. That may sound picky, but there are many jobs that pay that much in the area I'm moving to.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya

Postby 501stCadians » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 pm

A Solar/Green Energy Company here in Kingston is Expanding-

http://plumhollow.ca/

Might be able to find a job there. I could sniff around Kingston and the Thousand Islands Area for more stuff like it, if you want.

Also, a Big Canadian Welcome to Canada, Eh?
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
Playmobil

Postby subyrally » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:37 pm

for the aspiring forklift operator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z77oztO6UQ

enjoy and good luck ;)
"Warning: Small children may present a choking hazard when consumed."
TROLOLO
subyrally
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Oh man I forgot how fucking awesome that video is
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby subyrally » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Oh man I forgot how fucking awesome that video is

how could you do a thing like that?!?
"Warning: Small children may present a choking hazard when consumed."
TROLOLO
subyrally
Dimmy

Postby OneEye589 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Not all general labor is boring and repetitive. I'm working at Target right now and there are tons of things you can get trained in, though mostly it is warehouse and stocking type stuff. The pay is like $10 an hour, but the work is all very easy, as they have to make it available for all people in order to get employees. If it was the same amount of work as a full warehouse, they would lose all their potential employees to the warehouses or distributing centers which pay more.

In the end though, it all depends on who your boss is and who you're working for. I've heard horror stories about the previous boss, but my boss now is fine.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Work for the mob. There's always room to move up in the ranks there.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Nitewatchman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

subyrally wrote:for the aspiring forklift operator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z77oztO6UQ

enjoy and good luck ;)

That was hilarious.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

Postby Pwnerade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I'd recommend trying to get some IT credentials. Some of them are just a test you take, so you don't necessarily need a degree.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
Pwnerade
Playmobil

Next

Return to General Discussion