Halo 4

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Halo 4

Post by Ben-Jammin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Not wanting to start a "ZOMG H4L0Z 1S TEH BEST EV4R!!!!111!!!1!!!!one!!!" thread, but has anyone else got it yet?

From what I've seen so far, it has that really epic, clean sci-fi feel aesthetically, and the graphics are some of the best I've seen, especially for an FPS. Play-wise, it actually feels somewhat similiar to Call of Duty...

Also, BATTLEMECH.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Halo 4

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:12 pm

I don't like that they added loadouts. I felt the same way about Uncharted 3, because it changed the dynamic of the game.

Power weapons also become less important, because there's already so much versatility with the original loadouts. Before, you'd have to pick up a long-ranged weapon or a plasma pistol, and actually have to make an effort to get the weapon. It motivated you to get into the action. And tactical packages? Support upgrades? Jesus, this is disappointing me. It also eliminates the need for weapon pickups, since you can just call in an ordnance drop yourself.

The biggest problem I find is that it's getting rid of what made Halo unique. There aren't many other games around now that choose not to include loadouts, and it made Halo stand out. Now, it just feels like Call of Duty in space. I hate to bring Call of Duty into this, but the only thing different between the loadout system is that you can't put attachments on guns.

I should note that I have yet to try Halo 4, but I have played all of the previous games to some extent.

P.S. I don't like the way the Spartans look now. Custom colours might look better, but I've only seen the standard red and blue.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm

It's not like call of duty in space.

It's exactly like Crysis in space, if space was rendered in lower resolution than earth (which it is! Human LOD is weird.).

The new armor abilities mimic Crysis suit powers pretty much exactly, theres a glut of weapons that are samey and lame (why does the sticky grenade detonator exist? why *doesn't* the Halo Reach grenade launcher exist?), and theres a whole bunch of other super suit men.

Play Crysis 3 instead- you can pick up a street pole and chuck it at people
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 am

The loadouts and support package things did it for me. I thought "Oh man, they're making it more like COD". Campaign is a better; you can still tell that its Halo for sure.

The new Forerunner weapons are pretty cool though:

Boltshot: first a pistol, then charge it up and its a shotgun!
Suppressor: Lots of ammo, fast fire rate, piss poor accuracy at range.
Light Rifle: Wonderful. Three-round burst in hip-fire, stronger single-shot when scoped. I've noticed it runs out of ammo fast though.
Binary Rifle: Low ammo, but is now my favorite sniper. One-shot kill even on a fully-shielded Promethian; kills elites pretty quickly too.
Scattershot: pretty similiar to human shotgun, but its shots ricochet and it has less ammo. Very effective against promethians up close, provided you can avoid that sword.
Incineration Cannon: Actually, I thought it was pretty useless. I almost killed myself using it the first time, and it seems to be like a mix between the rocket launcher and the plasma cannon from Reach.

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh man I fucking love Halo 4. If I had the cash I would pick it up. But on the midnight release my friend invited all of use over to have his brother drive us to the midnight release, we beat the campaign in fucking two and half hours and went straight into matchmaking.

Some tedious issues though was that it was hard to find where the multiplayer actually was. Since they legally couldn't use the names Bungie used for previous Halo games, they had to add "Infinity" to it. Another thing is that there are no good forge maps. My favorite thing about Halo Reach was the extensive map that was Forge World, I would literally spend days of real life time making adventure maps to play on. I was hoping to recreate my past experiences with Halo 4 but I guess that won't be happening anytime soon, even if in DLC form I would pay for a new forge world styled map.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:Oh man I fucking love Halo 4. If I had the cash I would pick it up. But on the midnight release my friend invited all of use over to have his brother drive us to the midnight release, we beat the campaign in fucking two and half hours and went straight into matchmaking.

Some tedious issues though was that it was hard to find where the multiplayer actually was. Since they legally couldn't use the names Bungie used for previous Halo games, they had to add "Infinity" to it. Another thing is that there are no good forge maps. My favorite thing about Halo Reach was the extensive map that was Forge World, I would literally spend days of real life time making adventure maps to play on. I was hoping to recreate my past experiences with Halo 4 but I guess that won't be happening anytime soon, even if in DLC form I would pay for a new forge world styled map.
That does not bode well for the quality of the game.
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:
The new Forerunner weapons are pretty cool stupid and clutter the game's design, existing only because Microsoft felt that they *needed* to add shit though:

Boltshot: OT Halo 3 Mauler
Suppressor: OT Assault Rifle
Light Rifle: OT Battle Rifle
Binary Rifle: OT Sniper Rifle
Scattershot: OT Shotgun
Incineration Cannon:OT Rockets
not to mention making a Covie AR and adding both the BR and DMR in one game- the whole point of Halo weapons is that they all have their own niches with as little overlap as possible- even samey weapons like the Plasma Rifle and SMG at least have their own uses (sheilds/health) and work well in concert.

Play Crysis 3 instead- you can pick up a street pole and chuck it at people

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 pm

GeneralOfDeath wrote:
Overwatch_Elite wrote:Oh man I fucking love Halo 4. If I had the cash I would pick it up. But on the midnight release my friend invited all of use over to have his brother drive us to the midnight release, we beat the campaign in fucking two and half hours and went straight into matchmaking.

That does not bode well for the quality of the game.
No the game was good it's just me and my friends were dedicated to beating the game.
We literally didn't eat or drink or piss or anything during that time we skipped every cutscene we could and played the shit out of it.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Still not good news...

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:52 pm

No big name game should only take 2.5 hours to beat, no matter how good you are. I mean, I look back at some of the old Halo games' levels and remember spending about that much time just going through one of them. It seems like they just decided that they wanted to make some quick cash and came up with Halo 4. Then they decided that they only wanted to spend enough time to make 1 level on it and said, "But we gave you multiplayer!" I remember the original Army of Two game that my friend and I beat in about 6 hours and that was pretty standard and accepted for a crappy to mediocre game back then. If this is what's considered standard for Halo now, then in my eyes it's no longer a top tier game franchise anymore.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:26 am

I made an analogy back when halo 4 was announced to the X-COM sequels... any of you guys remember those? Each one was increasingly worse, going from "Good but forgettable" to "Average" to "Bargain bin" to "Unplayable".

This is a lot like that. I think maybe Overwatch was playing on Normal... I think a lot of people forget that some people play Halo on difficulties that aren't Legendary.

You'd be surprised how quickly modern games can be beaten... Originally, WoW took about a month real-time (that is, 730 hours), to beat, while these days, despite twofour (man this game has changed a lot since I've played it) expansions and countless new patches, now it's been done in 94 hours and a few minutes.

My /played time when I quit World Of Warcraft was a year and two months :P

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:52 am

Zupponn wrote:No big name game should only take 2.5 hours to beat, no matter how good you are. I mean, I look back at some of the old Halo games' levels and remember spending about that much time just going through one of them. It seems like they just decided that they wanted to make some quick cash and came up with Halo 4. Then they decided that they only wanted to spend enough time to make 1 level on it and said, "But we gave you multiplayer!" I remember the original Army of Two game that my friend and I beat in about 6 hours and that was pretty standard and accepted for a crappy to mediocre game back then. If this is what's considered standard for Halo now, then in my eyes it's no longer a top tier game franchise anymore.
You can tell they went down the path of COD, the doublexp now proves it.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 am

@Keldo: Reach took me about 7-8 hours on normal.

@Overwatch: Thank you for shooting down your own defense.
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Reach was surprisingly good. If I had to rank the Halo games it would go something like this:

Halo: CE
Halo: Reach
Halo: ODST
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo 4

2 and ODST are probably interchangeable, but other than that, it's pretty set.

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 pm

GeneralOfDeath wrote:@Keldo: Reach took me about 7-8 hours on normal.

@Overwatch: Thank you for shooting down your own defense.
Shooting down my own defense?

I'm not saying Halo 4 is a bad game but I'll admit that now it's just heading towards the direction of "don't make games for fun make them for money!!!1!1! by attracting a shitty userbase"