Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

MrSnapwalk
Champion
Champion

Painting/Dying Parts?

Post by MrSnapwalk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi,
So, I was planning on getting some of these Galaxy Patrol armor pieces (pic below to jog your memory) for a new army, but there's one problem: they're dark blue with classic space logos on the shoulders, and I need plain black, no printing.

I've thought about painting them, but have heard that paint wears away with heavy use (aka BrikWars). I've also heard about dyes, but can't find out much about them with a simple internet search. Does anyone have any experience with these methods, and if so, any advice on which one to choose?
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Re: Painting/Dying Parts?

Post by Robot Monkey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:37 pm

I'd say use matte/shiny (depending on the look you're going for) black paint, then spray over it with paint sealant. That should keep the paint on, even after heavy use.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 pm

make sure not to paint over any parts that need connection. The thickness of the paint is enough to stop the parts from properly functioning in in some cases.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:24 am

I would strongly suggest you employ some masking tape and a very sharp knife to protect the Classic Space logos. Think how fucking sweet that would look, silver on glossy black!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 am

All I can say is that Sharpie usually looks horrible.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:22 am

I sharpied a halberd black just fine.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:26 am

Do not use glue. That won't work.

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 pm

>painting lego

My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Use Vinyl Dye. It actually seeps into the plastic itself so that the color won't wear away over time, and so that there isn't that frustrating extra layer of paint on the piece that is susceptible to scratching/wear. I believe stubby posted a link to a guide on vinyl dye a while back, but I don't remember where it is.

EDIT- found it- just follow this link, it'll teach you all you need to know- http://www.minifigcustoms.com/node/5407
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.
Marriages Saved: 1

MrSnapwalk
Champion
Champion

Post by MrSnapwalk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Keldoclock wrote:I would strongly suggest you employ some masking tape and a very sharp knife to protect the Classic Space logos. Think how fucking sweet that would look, silver on glossy black!
My god, that would look awesome. I was just going to paint it black, but that would be even cooler!
Lord Mercat wrote:Use Vinyl Dye. It actually seeps into the plastic itself so that the color won't wear away over time, and so that there isn't that frustrating extra layer of paint on the piece that is susceptible to scratching/wear. I believe stubby posted a link to a guide on vinyl dye a while back, but I don't remember where it is.
I would use this technique, but I want to preserve that classic space logo on the shoulders. Sorry!
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:36 am

MrSnapwalk wrote:I was just going to paint it black!
Thanks, now I can't get that song out of my head.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Lord Mercat wrote:Use Vinyl Dye. It actually seeps into the plastic itself so that the color won't wear away over time, and so that there isn't that frustrating extra layer of paint on the piece that is susceptible to scratching/wear. I believe stubby posted a link to a guide on vinyl dye a while back, but I don't remember where it is.

EDIT- found it- just follow this link, it'll teach you all you need to know- http://www.minifigcustoms.com/node/5407
This is the ONLY way to do it with out enraging the Stud God.

Here's another really helpful thread: http://www.mobileframehangar.com/viewto ... =Vinyl+Dye

The guy actually spent the time to research and test a bunch of shit so you don't have to waste your time and money! Apparently there's some products out there that SAY they are vinyl dye and they aren't.... some say they are paint but are actually dye... just read that whole thread and go buy the correct stuff for this job.

Now get crack'n...