FRPG: Of Monsters and Mecha

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

FRPG: Of Monsters and Mecha

Post by Silverdream » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 pm

In the depths of the Pacific Ocean, a gateway to another dimension has been opened, releasing gigantic monsters. Yours and several other countries have developed mecha to intervene on the destruction or to protect economic assets and territory.

The system is fairly loose and somewhat based on the brikwars ruleset. All rolling will be done by me, and how it works is this:

Player
The Tsar-Babushka mech will attempt to fire it's Mk II plasma cannon at the hideous scab and fall back.

GM
Vasili Oranchev(pilot) rolls a 9 for skill and does 39 damage to the hideous scab.

Hideous scab blocks 9 damage, which leaves it at 20/50 hp.

Tsar Babushka falls back.

Inspiration.

To become a part of this, you need to fill out the following:

Mech Name:
Pilot Name:

Then spend 10 points into the following, 1 minimum for each:

Main Weapon: NAME HERE
(can be a melee weapon or ranged weapon. When it reaches three, another dice is added onto damage and the skill required to use it goes up by one. Damage is measured in D20s.)
Second Weapon: NAME HERE
(Damage is measured in d10s. Skill for Second weapon is lower than it's main counterpart.)
Armour: NAME HERE
(Armour is defense and amount of hp, for every three points the dice is made bigger and hp is added)
Pilot Skill: NAME HERE
(The pilot's skill, dice are upgraded for each three points.)
Hydraulics:
(Mecha's speed and strength in melee combat. Movement is made easier for every three points and a d6 bonus is added to any melee attacks.)

To measure level of weapons and armour it is listed as Mk. For example, a level 2 main weapon could be called a steel baguette mk II as long as it keeps the Mk II at the end of the name.

In addition to the two weapons the mecha also has a special. Specials are one-shot weapons and abilities that should fit the mecha's theme.

For example:
Tsar-Babushka Special: If the mech is destroyed, a smaller mech with half-stats can emerge.

Khan Shogun Special: The mecha may choose to self destruct and take an enemy with it.

Father Winter Special: The mecha may choose to summon an iceberg.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

knolli
Dimmy

Re: FRPG: Of Monsters and Mecha

Post by knolli » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:38 am

Mech Name: Glaskanone (Glass Cannon)
Pilot Name: Friedrich Schuhmacher

Main Weapon: Gaußkanone (Gauss Cannon) (very long range) Mk III
Second Weapon: Claws (meelee) Mk I
Armour: Transpari Steel Mk I
Pilot Skill: (level 3)
Hydraulics: Servo Engine Mk II

Basically the Glaskanone is not really a full fledged Mecha but a giant gun on legs and looks a bit like a scorpion. The special nature of the high acceleration projectile gun and its strong magnetic field requires the rest of the mecha to be made of a new, superconducting ceramic called transpari steel (the name is missleading, it contains no iron). Transpari steel is not as durable as standard armor plates and - as the name suggests - transparent.
Thus the Glaskanone is not made to fight in the first combat line but to inflict massive damage from the distance. A very skilled Pilot is neccessary to handle the strong recoil of the primary weapon and to maneuver the mecha out of harms way despite the relatively slow reaction times of the engines. For meelee it has claws it hopefully never has to use.

Rocket Jump Special: When in a pinch, the Glaskanone can overload its primary weapon and use the enhanced recoil to accelerate itself and "jump" out of harms way, covering a very long distance. Because this method puts so much strain on the barrel it can't be used more than once. With some skill the overloaded shot can still be aimed at a target and inflict additional damage.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Mech Name: Stahlräuber (Steel Predator)
Pilot Name: Jeff Schmidt

Main Weapon: Chainsaw (Melee) - (3 Points)
Secondary Weapon: None (0 Points)
Armor: Industrial Grade Neo-Aluminum - (1 Point)
Pilot Skill: Level 3 (3 Points)
Hydraulics: Custom Built Engine With Emergency Rocket-Powered Evasion Tactics - (3 Points)

The Stahlräuber is a lightweight and agile mech built for hit and run tactics. It's large chainsaw allows it to hit hard while it's Neo-Aluminum frame allows it to move faster than most mechs, making for a mech that will quickly dart in, deal massive damage, and be gone before the enemy knows what hit them. To add to its already impressive quickness, the Stahlräuber is equipped with experimental rocket-based thrusters strategically placed to allow the mech to change direction in mid air should the need arise. Since the mech is lightly armored, this additional maneuverability is considered almost necessary if the pilot is expected to survive for more than 1 or 2 engagements.

Explosive Drillpack Special:
When faced with a particularly difficult target, the Stahlräuber can employ a specially made drill mech packed with high explosives that will latch onto the target and drill to its center before detonating.
Last edited by Zupponn on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

So, Pacific Rim the Game?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Kalvinator wrote:So, Pacific Rim the Game?
Exactly, but I have a larger story planned out.

Also Zupponn you should replace mk III with mk II. Mark 3 would mean you spent six points in those categories.
Image lol j/k

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 am

Alright, then, I'll give it a shot.

Country: North American Union (All of North America Combined)
Mech Name: Kalvinator Mk. 20 (Obviously) (No Points into that, just it sounds cool)
Pilot: Kris Jackson

Main Weapon: Savior Beam Mk. III (A Heavy Laser Rifle)
Second Weapon: Crisis Katana Mk. I
Armor: "New" Good Ol' American Steel Mk. II
Pilot Skill: Level 3
Hydraulics: Speed Gears Mk. 1

Power Shot: If the pilot deems necessarily, (usually close to defeat) It can drain power from all systems and put them into the Savior Beam, doubling its attack power, but also leaving it without power for 1 or 2 Turns (Roll a d20, 1-9, its one turn, 11-20 its 2, 9 is a re-roll).

The "Kalvinator" Mech is an Authentic American Mecha, made with the newest good ol' steel America has to offer. It is meant to be a support for advanced forces of The North American Union's Marines and other Special Ops. groups. It is usually found at the front of the lines, but can use its Savior Beam Rifle to take on foes from far behind enemy lines as well. A very skilled pilot is needed to operate, one with sword training is preferred.

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:10 pm

I may drop in, but i want to see where this goes, first.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:32 am

Silverdream wrote:Also Zupponn you should replace mk III with mk II. Mark 3 would mean you spent six points in those categories.
Oh, I just changed my putting mk whatever to how many points to avoid any confusion.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:15 am

Oh. I guess the mk thing is a bit inefficient because it doesn't show total points.

Also I'm going to start this on the 19th or so because of civil service exams.
Image lol j/k

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 am

Silverdream wrote:Also Zupponn you should replace mk III with mk II. Mark 3 would mean you spent six points in those categories.
Can you please explain how many points we need to increase to the next tier? I and Zupponn assumed that you spent one point for each step. But from your comment I guess that the cost increase with the level. If that's the case I have to rebuilt my Mech.

Does noone want to play the tank? A team full of squishy carries will not last long enough to save the world.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:11 pm

The Tier For Main Weapon, Secondary Weapon, Armour and Hyrdraulics
MK I 1-2 Skill Points
MK II 3-5 Skill Points
MK III 6-8 Skill Points
MK IV 9-11 Skill Points
MK V 12 Skill Points

Pilot's skill will be cheaper to upgrade, 1 skill point will level a pilot's skill. However, Pilots will be harder to salvage than the mech if it runs out of HP.
PILOTERY TIER
1d6
1d8
1d10
1d12
1d20

Edit: Also I will be NPCing as the leaders of your respective nations/corporations, and I will be giving you guys objectives for each mission.
Image lol j/k

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:36 am

I'm still confused. I thought that each Mk meant one point, and that if it said Mk. III you put 3 points into the bot. If not, I'm gonna have to make a new bot.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:55 am

So it doesn't pay off to put two points to one stat (except pilot skill) because it doesn't increase.

10 points to distribute, with min 1, means effectivly 5 points you can distribute at will. Thus the only way to get a MK III weapon is to put everything in here and leave the rest at I. That would mean a powerfull but very inaccurate and useless weapon, because the pilot lacks the skill to use it. The most reasonable approach is to raise two stats to MK II (3 points total) and the one remaining point to piloting skill.

But I stay true to my concept and thus the Glaskanone becomes:

Main Weapon: Gaußkanone (Gauss Cannon) (very long range) Mk III (6 points)
Second Weapon: Claws (meelee) Mk I (1 point)
Armour: Transpari Steel Mk I (1 point)
Pilot Skill: (level 3) (1 points)
Hydraulics: Servo Engine Mk II (1 point)

I will so shatter like glass in the first encounter.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:47 am

@ Knolli, technically you should be at Mk II, but I'll allow you to have an imbalanced death cannon anyway.

International Leaks:

A large beast resembling the coconut crab has been sighted by the NAS Enterprise. The Kalvinator Mk 20 has been sent to intercept and kill this monster before it can reach Hawaii. It's location is west of the Midway Atoll.

Highland Security has released a new weapons system called the Stahlräuber, it is being hired by the Taira-Minamoto Conglomerate to stop the beast before it destroys precious factories in Hawaii.

Vereinigtes Europa has decided to aid her economic and military allies, the North American Union. The Glaskanone weapons system has been released to support her allies.

The Glaskanone, Stahlräuber and Kalvinator Mk 20 stand together, as the beast has been spotted. The crab monster raises it's claws defensively, and scuttles it's giant legs.

What the monster looks similiar to.
Image lol j/k

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 am

Charge and attack with chainsaw! VRRRM!! VRRRMM!